BBB Accredited Business since 02/26/2010

Bear Camp Realty & Cabin Rentals, LLC

14 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 2 closed in last 12 months

06/23/2015Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

The cabin had a loft. However the stairs were boarded up and locked. When making the reservation over the phone, i was not made aware of this.
I called to make the reservation for the cabin. At no time was i made aware that the cabin has a loft but it will be boarded up and locked. When we arrived that was the first time we saw that. It looks weird and creepy (i have a picture). The plywood that was used to board up the stairs had a christmas reeve as if it was for decoration. Also there was a strong rotten egg smell coming from the bathroom. When i spoke with the manager, she was very rude and talked over me. She balmed the smell on sulfur. As sulfur may be the main cause there are treatments for this that should be used especially when the bathroom is right next to the bedroom. We had a reservation for 2 night but we only stayed one and left first thing the next morning and drove back home.
We should have been made aware of the loft and that it wasnt included in the rental or have it open as the entire house is rented. No mentioning when the reservation was made over the phone and not mentioning the loft being off limits on the website is misleading and not a good look when you arrive and you see boarded up stairs.

I would like to get one night refunded.

After reviewing the complaint we have credited money back to the customer . at no point did the website show there was a loft. There is no access to the loft area because the stairs are unsafe, but we do not advertise a loft on the website.

11/03/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

They were unwilling to change our reservation due to personal issues that didn't permit us to arrive on the scheduled date.
We had several personal problems arise that caused us to be unable to make the scheduled date, so we wrote them an email (2 days shy of 14 days, which we didn't realize) to ask if we could switch it for another one of their available cabins at a later date. We received the automated email response and waited, but no one called or wrote back. So we called them a few days later and left a message.

We didn't want a refund, just a change in schedule for a later date.

Company states that they have allowed the customer to change dates.

10/06/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I rented a cabin that was filthy and broken. I simply want a full refund of all monies paid, as the product was broken and filthy and I did not stay a single night there. I was in the cabin for a total of 1 hour.

have mailed to customer in the amount of $$$ check dated today as requested.

07/29/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

The cabin we rented from this company was completely unlivable. It smelled of mold, the pots and pans you can't cook with because all the nonstick coating was coming off and will go into anything you cook not to mention they were put away dirty.There are stains on the sofa and chairs. Walking on the deck you feel like you're gonna fall through it. We call the company and told them the condition of this cabin and they couldn't care less that that place was in such a condition. They wouldn't refund our money so we could go some place else nor would they move us to another cabin.I want my money back.

I have personally spoken to customer and informed him that Bear Camp Cabins Rentals is giving him a complete refund for his cabin.

03/05/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Upon Arriving the Water Pump in the cabin was not in service and we were not notified at time of check-in by staff although they were aware of the issue.
HVAC workers were present upon arrival to the cabin and restored water, after 3 hours of service the Water Pump refroze overnight. At 8am we left message with office reporting issue. HVAC was not dispatched in a timely manner and did not arrive until 5pm .
Restoration of water was not completed until 9pm Gas/Kerosene fumes filled cabin while HVAC attempted to restore.
The water pump was placed in the hot tub both in attempt to unfreeze water pump.
We were unable to use kitchen/bath facilities approx. 17 hours of stay forcing us to purchase additional meals not requiring the use of water and to purchase gallons of water for bathroom use.
Gas Fireplace was not in service.
Rat droppings were found in cookware.
Roaches were present in dishwasher and on kitchen counter. 2 Televisions need replacement due to screen issues.
Windowsills were littered with dead insect debris.
Management/Staff have not attempted to acknowledge or resolve our complaint.
All attempts to contact this company via email and telephone have been ignored by staff.
We incurred additional out-of-pocket costs due to the insufficient maintenance of this property for additional meals and fuel.
We departed the property, 1 day early of our paid departure date due to the unacceptable amenities and complete lack of customer service from the property staff.

We are seeking a full refund.

I do apologize that this happened during the guest stay. But as the guest stated we sent people to correct the water problem as soon as we were notified. The Plumber was there. The Hvac company was there. The well company was there. This area has extreme cold weather that weekend, coldest it has been in East Tennessee in 20 years. As soon as we knew the pipes refroze our company dispatch the proper department to fix the problem.
As for the housekeeping issues, fireplace or tv not working, our policy staes as followed.... HOUSEKEEPING/TRASH PICK UP
Your vacation rental was thoroughly cleaned and inspected prior to your arrival. Please call our office immediately to report any housekeeping issues. We will correct the problem as soon as possible. No refunds are given. If you have more trash than will fit in the outside trash receptacle, we provide a dumpster behind our office. If you prefer we come pick up the trash, we will be glad to pick it up for a minimum charge. However, if you leave excessive trash (anything over 2 bags) you will be charged.
Per our policy we would have sent housekeeping to resolve any issues. We do not feel the guest is due a refund.

I cannot state this matter more clearly. Running water is NOT an amenity. Per Rental policy, "After check-in there will be NO REFUNDS", however guests are required to check-in before address, directions and access are given to the cabin location. I called the office in route to our destination to ask for the address to the cabin and to inform the office of our arrival time and was told that it was mandatory to arrive at their office to check-in before the cabin address would be disclosed.
Your company had TWO opportunities to disclose the condition of the cabin PRIOR to our check-in and failed to do so by omission.
And obviously if the cabin had been without water then how could our cabin have been freshly and properly cleaned?
Your HVAC team said that the reservoirs to our cabin and the cabin above ours were both frozen and had to of been for a minimum of a few days seeing as how the pump was completely..frozen...solid!
That is NEGLIGENT and improper maintenance of a rental property.
YOU ARE REQUIRED to supply a HABITABLE environment. It's called implied warranty.
Regardless of whether we receive our refund through our bank's efforts to assist us in light of your company's blatant lack of responsibility we will never have the same sense of consumer trust toward any business from our encounter with you.

04/29/2015Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Bear Camp Cabin Rentals does not disclose on their website or when you contact their very rude staff that their roads are gravel and very dangerous
We arrived in pigeon forge with intent in staying in a cabin. We reached the rental office and we're given our keys and told our cabin was about 10 miles out of town. First lie. When I booked the cabin we were told on 3 to 5 out of town. We rewced our destination about 20 minutes later and the roads were very wet, loose gravel and very steep. Dangerously steep. When I booked the cabin I specifically asked if a 4 wheel drive was needed or if a car was sufficient. Also, if the road was paved. I was told paved, only 3 to 5 miles out of town and the roads were not very steep, they were safe. My husband and I began our ascend up the driveway and immediately were terrified. The road is only wide enough for 1 car, gravel and has large drop offs with no guard rails. At the top, we were no doubt at a 45 degree angle with at leat a 400 foot drop off the side of the mountain into rocks and trees. We were very upset and terrified for our lives. If we would have slipped, we would have been dead no doubt. We had the car in full throttle going up and still slipping and on the descend when we could finally turn aroud, I had both feet on the brakes and we were still slipping. So we called the rental place and she told me "oh this happens all the time"....red flag for me. Se we drove back to the rental office and she was able to get us another cabin. Again 25 minutes out of town, we tried to drive there. We had step by step directions and could not find it so we called them. They had the housekeeper call us and try to explain and she could not tell us how to get there even with the step by step directors we had. Nobody I'm the office at the time had ever been there so could not tell us how to get there either. It was a nightmare. Thus was my husband and I honeymoon after 4 years of being married and it gave us a terrifying feeling being 1000 miles from home and nowhere to go. The lady in the office was very rude and the Phone and explained we would have to lose all money she would not call the owner. She told us we were out of luck...not that nicely either. So we had to stay at a hotel for the night. Monday morning 3/23 we tried again to see if we could get there while we had daylight and no such luck. The step by step directions I contacted bear Camp Cabin Rentals And spoke with their manager on Thursday 3/26 upon leaving. She refunded our $ for her housekeeping totals and told me the rest was a loss, that there was nothing she could do.

I want my full refund back and want bear Camp cabins I want my full refund and an apology letter.

Contact Name and Title: Julie Watson, Controller
Mrs. stated that Bear Camp Cabin Rentals does not state that the properties have gravel roads, I have enclosed the signed paperwork with our rental policies (see section driving conditions) which clearly states that some roads are curvy, steep, and gravel and our policies are also our website. The guest made an online reservation in which means a reservationist did not physically speak with her when she made the reservation. The guest called into the office and spoke to our reservationist stating that they wouldn't drive up the hill to the cabin in which they were given a map with step by step instructions. They returned to the office because they wanted moved to different cabin so we accommodated them along with a map. Mrs.a few minutes later called and said they were lost, the roads didn't have guard rails, the roads are to steep, etc. We told her we would have the cleaner to that cabin call her and get her to the cabin. When the cleaner called her, Mrs. was screaming at the cleaner, told her it was to late and hung up on her. The following morning we never received a phone call from Mrs. stating that she never made it to the second cabin. I personally spoke with Mrs. because she wanted a full refund. We both agreed to reimbursing her for the cleaning fee and service charge and a change fee. Our policy states that Bear Camp does not have to give a full refund if the guest can't get to their cabin. I could not reimburse her the full amount cause the owner would have missed a reservation. It is not our responsibility to pay for her hotel bill for their vacation. When people come to Pigeon Forge they come to the mountains.

We did indeed contact the business the morning after we tried to get to the cabin, but I was told by your employee Sharon that nothing else could be done with the matter and she had more important things to do. That you, the manager, would not respond to us anyway. So I hung up, kindly. Secondly, the housekeeper contacted us and was unable to give us directions. Based on where we were at, she could not tell us where to go. And I did not hang up on her, our phone got cut off because we did not have service where we were. I was not yelling at the house keeper either, it was raining, and she couldn't hear me so I was speaking louder so she could understand me. It is not fair to put words in my mouth and try to blame me, the customer. If our experience would have went well, in our planned vacations to go back to TN, we would have stayed with your business and recommended you to others. Because of our poor service and the way we were treated by staff, I feel recommending you would be a poor decision. As far as Bear Camp Cabins, I believe they are misleading and untrustworthy. But I decided after talking with the staff when I first made the e reservation that we would give it a try. I did make the reservation online but before I did called the business and had a lengthy conversation with a younger girl whose name I don't recall. We understand theres mountains that was one of the main reasons for or visit, but, climbing a grave hill that is very steep in the rain, in a brand new car, that was slipping and we could have died, raises questions of concern for me and others. I demand the rest of my money Making it seem like I didn't understand what I was getting into. And I really didnt. I asked the right questions and did a lot of research but your company continued to mislead me and take advantage of me. So, therefore, I want the rest of my money back.

Bear Camp was not misleading nor are we untrustworthy with our guests. You signed our RENTAL POLICY which covers our policy on refunds. At this time, Bear Camp will not be refunding a full refund.

10/13/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

cabin was so dirty and smelly, unlivable.we walked into this cabin and were so disgusted... it smelt so bad, the love seats were stained everywhere you looked then when you sat down on it they both sank to the floor because they were broken. there was spider webs everywhere you looked. the floors were so sticky windows were dirty in and out. the bathroom sink on the 1st floor was clogged. pots and pans gross. towels looked more like rags. then when it came time to take a shower we all thought we were going to throw up....the rotten egg smell coming from the water was beyond disgusting. my teenagers couldn't get out of that place fast enough when they woke up and didn't want to return until it was time to go to bed. I think a total refund is what should be done here and that place should not be rented again until it is clean, fixed.

As our policy states on arrival of guest if their are any housekeeping issues for guest to call office within 2 hours of arrival or if they are a late arrival within two hours of the following morning. The ********* during their entire stay never once called the office in regards to the housekeeping issues that they stated. Anytime a guest phones into the office it is notated immediately on their reservation and the actions that Bear Camp takes to resolve the issue. As for the water smell, it is common in this area because of the sulfur in the water.

04/21/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Bear Camp Cabins did not fulfill their duties in keeping their end of the contract. Upon checking out early refused to refund me or show compassion.
I paid Bear Camp Cabins on my debit card (bank statements can be provided if necessary) This amount included a housekeeping fee. I was supposed to go the weekend but rescheduled due to a widespread ice/snow storm. Upon checking in to the cabin , I contacted the front office to report hot tub issues at approximately 8 pm. I was told that someone would contact me back to help with the issue. I waited until 8:30 and decided to use the indoor tub, which I couldn't due to white film peeling off the tub when I ran water. I then tried to take a shower and there was hair all over the shower. By this time, it was nearly 9:00 pm and the office closed at that time. We attempted to cook dinner and there were dead insects all over the kitchen at which point we contacted a hotel and left. 8:54 pm. I called the office the next morning around 9:30 am (I had still not received follow up to my original phone call from the previous night) to report the issues and request a partial refund (for the second night as well as the housekeeping fee) because clearly there is no housekeeping employed by the facility. I was called back but she was very rude and spoke as if the issue were my fault. She stated that I would not receive a refund because I should have reported the issues before checking out per the paperwork that I signed. I stated that I did make contact with the office and never received any follow up. Not even the next morning, until I made the outbound call. She said that I didn't report all of the issues and give them a chance to have the cabin cleaned. I told her that the cabin should have been cleaned upon arrival as that was why you charge a housekeeping fee. So now I am out what I paid for the cabin, what I had to pay for the hotel room.
This is by far the worst customer service that I have ever received and no one so much as batted an eye at the filth that I encountered. It seemed as though this was standard. This company needs to be closely examined as well as reported to the health department. The conditions are deplorable.

I had requested a simple refund of one nights stay as well as the housekeeping fee.
If this can not be satisfied I will seek further compensation including the full cost of the weekend as well as the cost of the hotel room.

When this guest called they reported the hot tub was too hot. Yes a call was put in to maintenance to call guest and advice guest how to turn tub down. This hot tub has temperature controls underneath the hot tub with the other electrical components and maintenance dept did not want guest to attempt to turn down. Guest was put on a maintenance list. Someone from maintenance was at the cabin by 930am the next morning to adjust temperature on the hot tub. There was not report of roaches or housekeeping issues from this guest until she had already left the cabin and requesting a refund. Here is our policy that was signed by the guest about our refund policy.
HOUSEKEEPING/TRASH PICK UP
REFUNDS
Bear Camp Realty and Cabin Rentals is only a property management company. All cabins are privately owned. Unfortunately, we can not refund any monies due to or relocate guest due to any of these: TV, VCR, DVD, gas log fireplace, jetted tub, hot tub, pool table, gaming system, small appliances, etc. not working or malfunctioning. No refunds will be given for acts of God, loss of electrical power, water air conditioning, or cable/satellite outages. Refunds will not be given for ANY REASONS after check in.
Your unit is inspected prior to your arrival to ensure that all equipment is in good working order. In the event of a mechanical failure, we will make every effort to have all reported malfunctions corrected as promptly as possible during regular business hours.
This guest is not due a refund.

I was not told I was being placed on a maintenance list. I was told that I would be promptly receiving a call back, which I never did.

"Your vacation rental was thoroughly cleaned and inspected prior to your arrival. Please call our office immediately to report any housekeeping issues. We will correct the problem as soon as possible." This is quoted directly from the company.

I am not requesting a refund due to mechanical issues. I am requesting a refund due to the fact that this company did not uphold their end of the contract.
The guest never reported any housekeeping issues until they had checked out of the cabin. As for receiving a refund for mechanical issues, here is the refund clause of our policy the guest signed.
REFUNDS
No refund will be issued per our policy

04/16/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

The cabin we reserved was advertised incorrectly. Certain amenities weren't available, and live and dead roaches were in cabin. I went to the restroom and there was a roach crawling at my feet. After exiting the restroom, we proceeded to check out the cabin. My first concern was the upstairs open loft area .The cabin is advertised as a 3 bedroom cabin. With 3 adult couples, we needed our privacy. Once we opened the closed door leading downstairs we were immediately hit with a strong propane smell. We called the office. All the office manager said was that it may take a while to get used to the propane smell. She never offered to send someone out we explained that no one could use the downstairs because of the smell. She then suggested that we turn the propane off and let it air out. After hearing this and losing the access of now both fireplaces, because turning the propane off disabled both fireplaces, I called back myself. I explained about the opened, very exposed loft area and that it was not accurately advertised . I also pointed out that the lose of both fireplaces were amenities now not available, the downstairs was unusable because of the sickening smell, and along with the roaches, could they move us to another cabin. The total number of people we had couldn't fit in a 1 level cabin with a loft area which was what we were reduced to. She refused to relocate us to another cabin. It was then, I asked to be refunded. She again refused saying that they do not refund for bugs or not working amenities. They did send a bug man out for the roaches. We went out for a while and called the office to c if they had sent someone out to fix the propane. She said no. We at that point had to find another cabin. I feel it's only right to be refunded our money. They refused to find us another cabin .The cabin was not a 3 bedroom and smelled of propane. I feel like the only honorable thing is to refund our total money of $$$.

The guest check into one of our cabins and called the office complaining of a gas smell. Before maintenance dept could be there, the guest called back before the maintenance dept arrived stating cabin is infested with roaches and wanted a refund. The guest then made the decision to leave before giving us the opportunity to fix the issue. We had someone dispatched for a propane smell but guest left the cabin before our maintenance department could get there. After an inspection of gas fireplace it was in good working order with no propane leak. Here is the refund and insect section of our rental policy that was signed by guest before checking in.. Bear Camp Realty and Cabin Rentals is only a property management company. All cabins are privately owned. Unfortunately, we cannot refund any monies due to/ or relocate guest due to any of these: TV, VCR, DVD, gas log fireplace, jetted tub, hot tub, pool table, gaming system, small appliances, etc. not working or malfunctioning. No refunds will be given for acts of God, loss of electrical power, water, air conditioning, or cable/satellite outages. Refunds will not be given for ANY REASONS after check in. Your unit is inspected prior to your arrival to ensure that all equipment is in good working order. In the event of a mechanical failure, we will make every effort to have all reported malfunctions corrected as promptly as possible during regular business hours The Cabins are treated once a month for insects. Most of our cabins are in wooded, mountainous environment and we cannot guarantee them to be free of pests, bugs, or animals. We do not give refunds for pests, bugs, or animals. Should it arise, we will take appropriate measures to correct the problems. I do not feel this guest is due a refund.

02/04/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

No heat and not the cabin we were expecting it to be. We stayed on night and had to leave and rent a motel room,
Upon arrival we could not get the heat to work and it was 8 degrees - we had to pile all the cover on us - we also had our toddler grandaughter with us - I called the office next morning and told them this and also that the road was getting icey and ask her if we could move to another cabin down lower and she said no since we were only there 2 more days. So we lost all our money due to the fact that we had to leave for heat issues and rent a motel room in Pigeon Forge and that cabin is very misleading it was old and very outdated.The lady in the office told me to stay warm and she hoped we had eneough food. this was the worse experience we have ever had in Gatlinburg and not sure if we will ever come back if we do no more cabin rentals for us. It would have bad eneough if it was just my husband and myself but we had our grandaugher with us. My husband has several medical condition and no heat with that temperature has not helped. I was also told this cabin was easy to get in and out in bad weather - which was not true it is hanging off the mountain side - straight down - going up that night was bad but coming off the ice mountain the next morning was a nightmare. People please be aware of what you rent and who from. This has taught me not to rent anymore cabins in Gatlinburg.

I would like to have a complete refund - I paid over $ there and then had to rent a motel on top of this. If this can not be settled I will be talking to someone else.

This guest called the day after she checked it stating the road was getting icy and wanted to be moved. The guest never mention the heat not working to anyone in our office. We have a signed rental policy from guest and this is the section about driving conditions.
DRIVING CONDITIONS
Mountain roads can be rough at any time of the year. We do not guarantee any road surface conditions. Most roads in our area are well maintained, however some are curvy and steep. Some are gravel. In the fall, winter, and early spring it is not uncommon to occasionally have hazardous road conditions. It is strongly suggested that all guests during these seasons have 4 wheel drive or chains. No refunds will be given due to inability to get to cabin due to road conditions including ice & snow. You are responsible for your transportation. We cannot provide transportation nor are we responsible for any towing charges you may incur during your stay
If the guest reported no heat we would have dispatched HVAC dept to correct the problem. The guest is not due a refund.

Cabin, Cottage & Chalet - Rentals, Real Estate