BBB Accredited Business since 09/20/2010

4 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 2 closed in last 12 months

01/11/2016Problems with Product / Service
11/01/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Poor Customer Service
WE started dealing with this Mortage Company in May of 2013. We could never get a straight answer on how much of a price range we should be looking for a house in. Finally, we were told that we could look up to $100,000.00. We found a house in June of 2013, placed a bid and it was excepted by the buyers. We had bumps along the way to get a closing date because of a pass bankrupcty, late credit card payments and a few other bumps. Everytime we were ask to show proof of something or write a letter to why we did what we did, it would take 72+hrs to get a answer that we need to submit something else. There was such a LACK of communication on their end. I would call for something or email ***** in underwriting and it would be 1 or more days before I would hear back. *****, the General Manager, wouldn't call back at all. He only listen to what he wanted to hear and always acted like he was too busy to talk. In the last week since 09/09/2013. I would email or call ***** every day. WE were promised that we would close the end of July, then August and then the middle of Sepetember. The house we live in now we gave notice that we were we were closing on a house and would be out by no later than 09/30/2013. Now as of that date my family and I are homeless. I was told in August that by *****, that since they knew that we were not closing by the end of the month that,"We were being put on the back burner, since there are people they can get closed." Then I was told last week by the same person, that "We don't want to **** off the underwriter because she will not approve this." My rsponse, "So its better to **** off the cusotmer than the Underwriter?". Then today, I was told by the same person when asked, "Does the underwriter know that we have to be out by 09/30/2013?" *****s response,"They dont give a ****!" I then asked her, "What do I tell my 11 and 8yr old?" Her response is, "DONT YOU PUT THAT ON ME!"My question is, Is this how we talk to customers and make a business grow? I would never recommen this company to anyone!!! I told ***** we were done. I want my earnest money back and I am done with this company. I did hang up on her. I called my realtor to tell her what had happened. She was going to call ***** and get our money back, but wasnt sure if she was going to be able to. I called another Mortage comapny, gave****** all my info and within a hour she called me back and told me that I should have NEVER been looking at the house I put a bid on. It was out of my price range and someone was not being truthful with me. How is it, one comapny cant get anything done and another one can call me back in less than a hour? Something does not add up. The lack of of communication and professionalism that theis office conducts is disgusting!!!!

I want an apology to me and my family, the sellers of the house that we were "trying" to buy, both Realotrs for all their time. Also, I would like my $1,000.00 plus damages for the EMOTIONAL rollercoaster my family and I have been on since June 2013. No family should have to go through what I have gone through. I told them back in August that I would rather plan my wedding and get married 1000 times over then to EVER buy another house. This is suppose to be exciting and a new chapter in my families life and it has been nothing but a NIGHTMARE!!!!

This is in regards to the customer complaint we received from Mrs. ****** *******. I am hurt by this complaint in that I know this family we have been at many family/friend functions together, and I have tried extremely hard to help them get financing.

This couple came to us in January of 2012. Their scores were low and we could not help them at that time. They came back in January of this year we ran their scores and they had improved. However there were some issues that needed to be resolved before they could be financed. They were very anxious because there was a particular home they wanted to purchase. We did tell them and their realtor at the time (***** with *****) that these issues needed to be cleared before they could move forward, and the underwriters would have a lot of questions regarding the bankruptcy. The home they wanted sold and at that point they were considering a land contract. Then they put things on hold due to Mr. ******* was in the hospital.

In March we talked with them again and told them we could not put Mr. ******* on the loan due to he did not have enough time on his new job and was 100% commission. They wanted to move forward Mrs. ******* was still working on some issues on her credit. They had switched realtors (******** with *****). End of June we got a refer/eligible, ordered an appraisal and the title.

They cleared up several of the issues but we needed letters explaining why they had late payments after a bankruptcy and what happened with Mr. *******'s previous job. In August the file was suspended.

***** ******
Branch Manager

I talked with Mrs. ******* she was frustrated with the process and said she was done. She was very emotional when she would call and come in to the office. ***** had talked with her earlier and again she was very emotional due to they had given notice to their current landlord and had to be out by the end of September. ***** tried to explain to her again that this can be a long process and with the lates after the bankruptcy the underwriters have to be cautious and they do not talk with the clients because they cannot get a personal attachment because they have to follow the laws of lending (see attached letter from ***** *******).

Three days later Mrs. ******* called me and said she was switching her financing to Aspire Lending I apologized to her and told her I would turn over all of her paper work, and wished her the best. Two days after that she called me back again stating Aspire said they had to wait due to her ratios. I talked with her realtor ******** she told me that the *******s received their earnest deposit money back and said they are moving forward but she will not show them any homes until Aspire sends her an approval letter.

Mr. ******* stopped in the office this week and picked up their documents.
I wish them the best and feel bad we could not make it work for them. I feel we did communicate with them through this financing and realize they did not like some of the things we had to ask for but again we were upfront with them that this would take some time and there would be a lot of questions when there is a bankruptcy involved. I see in her resolution that she would like $1000 for emotional damages; they did not pay for any of their credit reports or the appraisal and re-inspect totaling over $700. Again I am very sorry that this did not go easy for them and wish them the best.

I would like to respond to this complaint. This client was calling and emailing me for many days every half hour asking for updates. She never liked the updates that were given and that the file was still in with the underwriter being reviewed. This file as we all know was a tricky one. She did have lates after her BK which she addressed, but in the beginning was a vague answer and the underwriter seemed to have found holes in her story and wanted a better explanation of them. The one particular day she mainly speaks of is when I phoned her to ask her if she could help me provide proof to back up her LOX. She got irate and started crying and told me she was done trying to find anything to help her file. She has given everything she can and does not know how to get anything more. She was consistently explaining to me how at the end of the month her and her family was going to be homeless. I tried calmly explaining how I understood. She then wanted me to give the underwriter 's number to her. I explained that this is not possible. She kept asking me if I had explained to the underwriter how she was going to be homeless, I simply told her, how I did not want her to take this the wrong way but yes I had explained to the underwriter how we needed answers right away because of the time crunch for the client and needing to be moved out but simply told her that an underwriter needs to have blinders on and not look at things from a personal angle. She felt that me over expressing this to an underwriter was going to somehow sway there answer and get it done faster. She is not giving the whole conversation and only bits and pieces of it. This angers me, knowing I was as calm as I could be trying to help her understand how the underwriter was thinking and what we need to do to help the underwriter understand. I felt this file was losing momentum and I told her I did not want to have the underwriter come back and deny it all together. She continued to blame me and how I don't care that her family was going to be homeless. That is when I told her not to put that on me. I did not need to be guilt tripped into anything. I am a very compassionate person and expressed over and over again how I understand her frustrations and understand where she was coming from.

I am not sure what else I could have done in this situation except for not to have made the phone call at all that day. This is coming from a client that I understand is very hurt and needs someone to blame.

***** *******
Loan Processor

10/30/2013Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

I was charged for appraisal when they could not close on mortgage.
I contacted Van Dyk in late March or early April. My loan was supposed to be closed on May 31st but Van Dyk was not able to get all paperwork together stating they were looking for an outside investor. They pulled my credit so may times that my credit rating started at 790 and dropped to 720 before I pulled my paperwork from their company. On June 7th after a week of calling and getting no response regarding the status of my mortgage, I went to the office and pulled my paperwork. Today my credit card was charged with an appraisal fee. Van Dyk was not able to close on my loan and I had a house that I was going to lose because of their incompetence and lack of follow through. I am not responsible for the appraisal

I would like a refund of the appraisal fee. I am also contacting credit card company and disputing the charge.

***** ****** came to us because she had a unique situation. She had a short sale in ******* and her 3 year waiting period was not up yet. She was starting a new job her in ***** ****** and wanted to purchase a house. We made it very clear that we would not be able to close on any mortgage until the three year waiting period had expired and the credit report had been updated. We had a few hurdles that we knew we would have to overcome. One of which was the fact that one of the credit bureaus was not reporting her short sale correctly so we had to get that changed. We knew we would not be able to get a ** approved eligible through ******************************** until the 3 year period was up. When the three your period expired we had to refresh credit and one of the credit bureaus changed their "Date Reported" to a recent date. This is an issue when running ** because now ****** ************************* views this as a recent short sale instead of three yours out. The credit bureau would not change the reported date on the report and caused us to get an Refer Eligible result. This would require VanDyk Mortgage to manually underwrite a conventional loan, which we do not do. I even called around to other companies to see if they could help out and they could not. Fortunately **. ****** found a company that would be able to manually underwrite it. I was still working on getting the credit company to update their report when **. ****** pulled her file from us.

As far as the appraisal goes, **. ****** signed an Advance fee agreement that says she agrees to the appraisal charge even if the loan doesn't close. We apologize for the inconvenience that **. ****** went through. However she knew we had several hurdles to overcome and the last one we had was unforeseen.

I did not need to wait 3 years to get a new mortgage. ****** *** requires a 2 year waiting period with 20% down and I had that. Van Dyke could not close on the mortgage because they used an automated ****** *** system that would not read my credit reports correctly. I went to another mortgage company, was approved immediately, and closed on my mortgage in 13 days.
I was never told by Van Dyke they could not get me a mortgage before a 3yr "waiting" period. Van Dyke was actually contacted my my previous relator and was very aware of my situation and even had my credit reports before we started the process and assured me they could get me a mortgage.
I was credited back for the appraisal fee because Van Dyke could not close on the loan. My situation did not cause their inability to close on the loan.

She is correct it is a 2 year waiting period, they may have been a typo on my part but it doesn't change anything because the 2 year waiting period was not up yet. We cannot control the way credit bureaus report info and how ** reads that info. It was unforeseen how the bureaus would report it and how ** would read the info. From what we have learned this is a major problem between credit agencies and ****** ***. I am glad that **. ****** was able to close on her home. Most of the leg work was done by the time she went to another company so I am glad they were able to get it done quickly. However it was expressed and fully documented that the appraisal fee was nonrefundable after the cost was incurred, even if the loan did not close.

I apologize for the typo in the original response, however it does change the outcome.

***** *********