BBB Accredited Business since 07/30/1992

Southern Crafted Homes, Inc.

5 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 1 closed in last 12 months

11/17/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

This company is building two houses in the two sides of my home. Their contractors have broken things in my property and they don't even care!
The company has in two occasions broken the whole left side of my sprinkling system. After 2 months of complaining, they finally sent one of their contractors to fix it. However, they broke it again and now again they don't want to respond.

They also broke my mailbox. Their contractors come and sometimes they have up to twelve trucks from their contractors parked in front of my house. The very same day they broke my mailbox, I let them know and sent pictures, but again, they just don't care and don't even take the time to answer. Finally, I got ahold of their COO, Mr *** ******* who said he would give me an answer "shortly"... but "shortly" for him means "never"...
This is the worst builder I have ever had to deal with, and I've dealt with quite a few.

All I ask is that they fix whatever they break in my house while they are building the houses next to mine. They should fix my sprinkler and my mailbox. If they can't, then they should keep completely out of my property and don't walk, park, or run hoses or tools through my property.
I've been the most patient homeowner, but they are just totally careless people who don't give a thought about breaking other people's property.

As has been previously explained to Mr. ***** any damage caused by Southern Crafted Homes or our contractors will be fixed.We will do everything we can not to block his driveway or mailbox but vehicles will need to be parked in the street from time to time. As far as the damaged irrigation we did respond to this and the irrigation was old drip lines from the former model center common area. We will continue to exercise care to protect and mitigate any damage and at the end of construction will do an inspection to ensure everything is in good order and operation.

This response was provided verbally to BBB:

I checked the sprinkler and it does seem to be working properly except for 1 head that was gushing out water. I appreciate the company taking more care during the construction but I would also like to know if they are going to fix the mailbox they damaged?

**** have our mailbox company inspect and see if it can be fixed please.

04/14/2016Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I have been trying to get in contact with someone to resolve multiple issues with the home I'm purchasing. It has been over 2 months with no response.
I am writing this to convey my extreme frustration with Southern Crafted Homes. I am having a home built by them. When we negotiated the purchase agreement, I agree to pay an additional $3000 because we could't close on the home until mid march. We were told that the home would be completed a couple months early and that the $3000 was to maintain the home after it was completed early. I was told that the home would be completed a couple months before we wanted to close which would have been around mid January. About three months after signing the purchase agreement we got a construction schedule that showed a completion date of 2/25/16. This was surprising to us because this was only about 3 weeks from the time we wanted to close. Then on 1/23 my wife and I stopped to see how the home was going and realized that it was behind schedule. We immediately went to see our sales rep Jimi to find out what was going on. She said that she would talk to Frank (the construction manager) to find out what was going on. She also said for us to call him first thing Monday morning about this. I also asked her why Jim D. ( the chief operating officer) had not called me. I have tried multiple times for well over a month to reach him and never received a return phone call. I have been trying to contact him about a credit for a wall that was taken out of the original plan and several other issues. I had talked to Jimi 2 weeks prior to this and she assured me that he would call me. I never heard from anyone. Then Monday morning my wife received an e-mail with a new construction schedule with a completion date of 3/30/16. I then proceeded to call Frank the construction manager. I wanted to know why the delay and why no one had notified us. He told me it was because of 1 window that was backordered. I told him that this was unacceptable especially since we paid $3000 extra fee because the home was supposed to be completed well before our desired closing date. He then calmed me down by promising me that Jim the Chief Operating Officer would call me the next morning. The next morning comes and again no call from anyone. That afternoon I call Jimi my sales rep and she tells me that there is nothing she can do and to stop calling her because the situation is stressing her out. I have never received customer service this poor in my entire life. I have never been so frustrated. This was supposed to be our dream home and this experience has turned into our worst nightmare. They have my large down payment and I don't know what else to do but to file this complaint.

I want a refund of the $3000 fee. That fee was for the home to be completed well ahead of the closing date we wanted. I also would like to receive a phone call from Jim D.to discuss several other issues that we have had with this very draining experience.

It seems that Mr. *****'s biggest frustration is not having gotten responses from me. He claims to have left messages for me and e mails but no one on my staff in the office nor myself have recieved either phne calls, voice mails or e mails from him.I became aware from my salesperson that Mr. ***** wanted to speak with me on 1/19 but that he had limited availability to talk because of his work schedule. I made two attempts to contact Mr. ***** on or around the 20th/21st. On Monday 1-25 I was out of the office for the day on business and Mr. ***** left a message for me and he did again on the 26th in the morning. He stated he would only be available for a short window in the morning and then after business hours. I called Mr. ***** the morning of the 27th and gave him my personal cell phone number and he called me later that morning to discuss his concerns. I told him I would review his file and speak with the salesperson and construction manager and get back with him the afternoon of the 28th after 3:30 (per his request) I am to speak with him again this afternoon after 3:30 to discuss his concerns.
As to the $3,000 fee. This was a "delayed start fee" to cover labor and material cost increases. Mr. ***** wanted to buy the home in August but delay the start to coincide with his desired closing date of "on or before March 31st". The verbiage in parenthesis are the contractual verbiage used in the sale of his home. We will be able to meet his requirement of closing on or before the 31st of March as we committed to in the contract. There are a couple of other more minor items regarding some change orders that upon review I believe can be resolved to Mr. *****'s satisfaction. I am committed to doing my best to resolve his concerns to his satisfaction. I will follow up after our next conversation, again slated for this afternoon.

The first thing I would like to address is that we did sign a purchase and sales agreement on 6/30/15 and provided them with a check for $5000 on that same date. That check was cashed by them on 7/1/15 so we did have a binding contract in June. We told our salesperson all along that we wanted to close in the middle of March so we would have time to make the transition from the home we are currently renting. Our lease ends on 3/31/15 and we wanted to make sure that we would have at least a week minimum to make that transition. We are painting the garage floor and installing hardwood flooring. We wanted to do this before our belongings were in the house. She did tell us about "the verbiage" that said on or before march 31 but that it would not be a problem since we were starting everything so early. Why would we start this process so early and pay and extra $3000 and then not be able to close when we want.

Then he states that I was told that i would close on Feb 25 which again is not true. I stated to him that I was given a construction schedule by his construction manager (Frank) that showed the finish date would be Feb 25. Never did I say that I was told that we would close on Feb. 25. When Frank gave me this schedule he said that the date on the schedule could possibly fluctuate by a couple of weeks. So my wife and me thought that this would work out well since the house should be finished by mid March at worse. Then on Jan. 23 we went to see how the house was progressing and realized that it seemed to be pretty far behind the schedule we were given. We immediately notified Jimi our salesperson of this and she said she would follow up on this and that we should also call Frank on Monday morning. The next day we get a e-mail from her showing a completely new construction schedule that has a finish date of 3/30/16, five weeks later than the original construction schedule finish date. When I talked to Frank about this he explained to me that this was because of one backordered window and was very apologetic. I told him that I did't understand why no one had communicated to me in any way about the delay. Then when I talked to Jim about this, he blew off my concerns and seemed like this was business as usual and that "the verbiage" on the contract said on or before march 31.

Now we are stuck in a bad situation because we listened to our sale person. If I would have known, this is how this company operates, I would have made sure that "the verbiage" said on or before 3/20/16. I was also treated very rudely on our second follow up phone call. Jim acted as if I was bothering him and he seemed to put my integrity in question. I have never felt so frustrated and disrespected before. I would have never bought this home from Southern Crafted Homes if I knew that this is how they treat their customers.

I did send Jim an e-mail early this morning, to try to set up a meeting in person, to talk about this situation.

I spoke to Mr. ***** on 1/25/2016 and again on 1/27. I made three commitments to him. One was to give him a credit of $278 for some cabinets he wanted to delete. This was an increase from the previous credit. The second was to reduce the price of flood lights he wanted added to the home and finally to delete an option he selected. He still insisted on having the delayed start fee removed which I did not agree to. I have returned all of Mr. *****'s phone calls. Also I gave Mr. ***** my cell phone number so he would not have a reason not to be able to get a hold of me. We have done everything we agreed to do for Mr. ***** and more. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can provide additional information.

06/30/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

We built a new home with Southern Crafted and when we took possession of the house several of the windows and sliding glass doors were scratched.
When ***** from *********** ******* came out for the scratches he explained that they would not replace glass unless the scratches could be seen from ten feet away. He handed me a copy of what he called new home building regulations. My first question to him was who's eyes determine whether or not they can be seen? He said yours of course. Meaning mine the home owner. I started pointing out all the scratches on all the glass. Then when Frank, from Southern Crafted Homes, and ***** would inspect the scratches ***** would ask Frank, ''What do you think about this one?'' He was even prepared to measure the scratches. It wasn't that they were disputing that there were scratches, just if it was bad enough. ****, an employee, from *********** was out and he even stated that the glass that was not replaced was scratched pretty bad. **** has been to our house twice, first he pointed out all the scratched glass when he was replacing the broken window in our laundry room. The second time was to replaced the scratched glass that ***** and Frank agreed upon, and at that time **** agreed that there was still scratched glass that need to be replaced. **** stated, ''I told them (meaning his boss) that all this glass was messed up by the cleaner.'' I never agreed to the glass that ***** and Frank agreed to. The fact that ***** stated that it was my eyes that determine if the scratches could be seen was completely ignored.
There is one sliding glass panel that *********** ***** did not replace last time they were out but there are still three (3) other sliding glass panels that I pointed out that they didn't.

At this time I am seeking the replacement of the additional scratched sliding glass panels.

This complaint is not to be confused with any other warranty issues I currently have with Southern Crafted Homes.

The issue of glass with respect to deficiencies and defects is an ongoing matter with Mr. ********. Specifically the manufacturer is addressing glass issues with 14 windows in the house. However, there is one sliding glass door that will not be addressed. There is no question there is a scratch in it. However, due to sufficient inspections by the same individuals and the manufacturer no scratch in that glass had been previously identified and that glass will not be replaced.

As far as Mr. ********'s mention of a regulation. It is an industry standard that scratches or imperfections that cannot be discerned from 10' or more under normal lighting conditions shall not be considered a defect. All legitimate issued will be addressed according to the builder warranty, manufacturers warranty and industry standards, not arbitrary standards dictated by the homeowner.

First, I did not put anything in my complaint about the 14 defective windows that was escalated to the window manufacturer. However, we first complained about the defective windows when they were first installed and then again after we took possession of the house. We were told by Southern Crafted Homes they were normal. Finally, Southern Crafted Homes agreed to have the ************ come out and inspect. ***** from the ************ took one quick look and said the windows were defective.

This sets the precedents for what we are dealing with in that we have severely scratched glass that Southern Crafted Homes refuses to replace just like the 14 defective windows.

The real issue for the complaint is sliding glass doors that were severely scratched by Southern Crafted Homes cleaning company. ****, an employee of *********** ******* and ****** a Southern Crafted subcontractor who installed the windows, on two occasions told us that the glass was severely scratched. I can see the scratches from 10' and I was told by ***** from *********** that is what determined it. Whose eye's determine if they are scratched? Was ***** uninformed? ****** on his last visit tried to buff one of the scratches out with his finger. So, the scratches do exist. We also know that we are not the only Southern Crafted Home on the street with the same damage.

04/07/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Roof design flaw as Southern crafted did not caulk and secure roof when home was built causing significant water damage in the home.
Southern crafted homes build my home in 2006 and failed to properly secure the roof causing significant water damage in the interior of my houses. Two independent contractors from the insurance company have come out to my house stating that the issue was design flaw from the builder. Southern crafted homes refuses to take responsibility for fixing the roof and the damage as a result of their employees not ever caulking the roof or putting in a required "splash guard" in the front roof of the house.

I request that Southern crafted homes take responsibility and fix the roof and interior damage or pay for me to have someone come out to repair the damages. The estimate for repair work is between $5000-6000.

***** ******

The first report of a roof leak on this customer was received on January 12th of 2015. They closed on their home 9/22/2006. Roof or flashing leaks that occur under normal weather conditions are covered under the first year of the 2/10 Homeowners Warranty. We have reviewed the warranty history files for this customer and the last service request was 9/27/2007, the same month the one year warranty expired on the home. There have been no prvious reports of any issues with respect to the roof. Our construction manager did an inspection of the home and found a lack of homeowners maintenance to include recaulking and repainting of the home. Recaulking should be done annually or as needed and repainting is recommended every five to seven years. Please be aware that the homeowner was advised of this by written correspondance on 30 January 2015. As was communicated to the buyer there is not a design flaw in the roof.

The construction manager for Southern Crafted Homes did come out and advised that the roof had NEVER been caulked and that there was a design flaw. In addition, the insurance company inspector came out and advised in writing that there was "long term damaged found where the overhang of the roof leaks into the valley causing the roof decking to deteriorate." The wood in the attic is black where the roof has been leaking since the house was built. According to the inspector, while it only showed up recently inside through the ceiling and through the wall onto our new wood floors, it has been deteriorating undetected for years due to design flaw and poor construction.
My neighbor's house next door caved in similarly due to roof damage caused by poor design and there are several neighbors within our community that are having roof issues as well and Southern Crafted homes is refusing to take ownership of their poor workmanship and design.
While we agree that every 8-10 years, a house should be repainted, we are in that time frame right now and we can't paint the house until the roof is fixed. It is ludicrous to think that a homeowner should be caulking their house every year. Either way, the house was NEVER Caulked as freely admitted by the Southern Crafted Homes Construction manager as well as the Insurance inspector.
Southern Crafted should accept responsibility to their design flaw and poor construction and fix our roof and associated damages.

10/18/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

8 year old roof leaking in multiple places meaning there is something seriously wrong with the materials and/or workmanship.

We started noticing that we had a problem with our roof in June 2013 when we saw water on our garage floor, staining on the garage walls, and brown stains on the trim of the house along the roof line (we have a radiant barrier in our attic and the water that was leaking was being channeled to the edges of the house). Please keep in mind that at the time these leaks were discovered, our roof was only 8 years old. Southern Crafted was contacted via phone and e-mail and we were told that the warranty was no longer in place. We contacted Southern Crafted COO**** ****** via letter dated July 13, 2013 with pictures of the first two areas that leaked, and again via letter dated July 20, 2013 when our situation changed when more areas of leaking were discovered (one causing staining to a ceiling in one of our bedrooms) and it made no financial sense to keep pouring thousands of dollars into roof repairs and we decided that the roof needed to be replaced. We had no idea the extent of the problems and how many more leaking areas would crop up in the near future. It was quite obvious to us by this time that there was something seriously wrong with our roof, with the materials used and/or the workmanship. Mr. ****** contacted us back via e-mail on July 30 stating that he contacted a rep from a roofing company to inspect our roof and we should be hearing from him to set up an appointment. After some time went by, on August 3, we contacted Mr. ****** via e-mail to inform him that we had not heard from anyone about inspecting our roof. We had also been keeping him informed via e-mail about the progress of our now roof replacement so that if he wanted to send a representative during the tear down, we would welcome that. We were informed by Mr. ****** on August 7 via e-mail that representatives from 2 roofing companies inspected our roof on July 31, 2013 and we would be receiving the report shortly. We received Mr. ******'s letter the next day, dated August 5, 2013, which stated that these roofing inspectors found our roof to be in ''good condition''. This was outrageous to us. By this time, our roof was leaking in 5 different places that we were aware of. Keep in mind that the damage we were seeing did not happen overnight. It happened over a couple of years. We were not home when this alleged inspection took place, so there was no way for them to see the staining inside the house or the garage and there was nothing they could really see unless they removed the tiles. Also, at the time of the inspection, there was a tarp on one area of the roof to prevent further water damage to that ceiling in the bedroom mentioned earlier. We are outraged that there is a refusal to admit any sort of responsibility or to acknowledge the obvious - that a roof that is leaking in at least 5 places after only 8 years has serious issues. We responded with a letter sent to Mr. ****** via certified mail, dated August 12, 2013, with questions that we deserve answers to. That letter has been ignored. We have also learned that, allegedly, the roofing company that did our roof originally is out of business because he did not follow the code.

We would like for them to admit the obvious, that something was seriously wrong with the materials and/or workmanship of our roof, to take responsibility for that, to answer the questions in our last letter, and to help us pay for our new roof. We absolutely do not expect them to reimburse us for the entire cost. We are asking them to be fair to us and pay us $15,000 towards the $42,000 we had to pay for the new roof, which is on top of the $7,000 we had already paid in repairs. We think that $15,000 compensation is more than fair.

Southern Crafted Homes had two separate contractors inspect the roof and eaves at the above referenced home on Wednesday 31 July 2013.************** of *************** is a state certified roofing contractor specializing in tile roofs and*********************************** who is both a state certified roofing contractor and a residential building contractor. The purpose of the inspection was to determine whether the roof had been properly installed. There are many reasons a roof can leak and our interest was to ensure that the roof had been properly installed per the manufacturers installation requirements and according to the building code in place at the time. Both contractors concluded that the roof system was installed according to manufacturers requirements and the building code in place at the time. They also concluded that there was no visible evidence of failure of the materials. The warranty on the roof from the builder is one year for defacts in workmanship and materials. That warranty has long expired. The manufacturers warranty is a separate warranty that the buyer must pursue directly with the manufacturer. It should be noted neither contractor who conducted the inspection was or is affiliated with the original installer, who is out of business. The customers ascertion that this is a structural issue is incorrect and specifically addressed in the 2-10 Homeowners Warranty Manual which is part of the contract documents of the residential purchase agreement.

We definitely do not accept that response, however, it is not a surprise. The 2 roof inspectors came to our home without our knowledge and never inspected the inside of our home where the signs of leaking were obvious. Again, we were told by the builder that these inspectors found our roof to be in "good condition" even though it had a tarp on part of it to protect it from leaking further into our home. We also had sent pictures to the builder showing the rotted areas, which are "visible evidence of failure". These roofers may not have been affiliated with the out of business roofer that installed the roof on our home (and the fact that they are out of business should also tell you something), but they are certainly affiliated with the builder and were certain to give them the answer he paid for. No matter how much they want to deny it, a roof that is leaking in SEVERAL places after only 8 years is a roof that has something wrong with it, more than likely in the way it was installed. Nail holes were left behind and not filled in in many places, per the roofer that did our new roof, that is extremely poor workmanship. And a one year warranty on workmanship isn't worth the paper it is written on because no evidence of poor workmanship will show up in that amount of time. This leaking was occurring over several years and it took time to work it's way through the underlayment, tar paper and particle board. And since we did have a radiant barrier in place, the damage was occurring mostly at the edges. If that barrier was not in place, we would have seen leaking into our home far sooner than 8 years. We are sure that if a customer was told that their roof might very well last less than 8 years on their new home, they would never buy a home from this builder. We really had thought highly of this builder and thought they had integrity to stand behind their work, but apparently we were very wrong.

We have responded directly to Mr. **** and previously to this complaint on line. The roof warranty is specifically addressed on page 18 of the 2-10 Homebuyers manual, a copy of which is incorporated into the home purchase agreement. During the first year of the ten year warranty the roof is covered against leaks that have occurred under normal weather conditions. There is a separate manufacturers warranty on the roof tiles themselves. However, two independent inspections verified that the materials and methods of installation were correct. We are not claiming Mr. **** did not have a roof leak. There is evidence obviously that he did. There is no evidence it was due to improper roof installation or failure of the materials. Please refer to section 5.6, page 18 of the 2-10 Homebuyers Warranty Booklet for more details.