BBB Accredited Business since 01/09/2009

McBee's Garage, Inc.

10/31/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Car in for radiator repair. Transmission clip on new radiator failed, resulted in driving car with low fluid. Four weeks later transmission failed.
Dropped off my 2004 Ford Expedition to McBee's garage on the morning of August 19th due to coolant leak somewhere. McBees called and said the radiator needed replacing for $419.00. McBees replaced the radiator and I picked up the truck on the afternoon of August 19th, paid for the repairs and drove home. Tuesday morning, August 20th, I drove the vehicle to work (total of 25 miles). Tuesday afternoon at 1pm I went to lunch and back to work (total of 5 miles). That evening on my way home I pulled onto Little Rd heading south, while approaching Old SR 54 the car started "reving" very high and would only go 5-6 miles and hour despite turning 2300-2500 rpms. I turned and proceeded west on Old SR 54 and the truck continued to go in and out of gear but only going 5-6 miles an hour. I pulled over at a Marathon gas station about 0.5miles west of Little Rd on Old SR 54 and called AAA. I had AAA tow me to my house because McBees was closed. The following morning, Wednesday August 21st, I went by McBees to tell them what happened. McBees asked me if I could drop the vehicle off, which I did that evening after work. Thursday morning, August 22nd, I stopped by and spoke to **** (mechanic at McBees) who was installing another radiator. **** explained to me that the radiator they had installed had a clip break on the transmission coolant line allowing the fluid to drain out. He put in a new radiator and refilled the transmission. On Friday, September 27th, I left work and while on the way home the transmission started not wanting to go into gear when first accelerating. It would shift very violently, first needing 900-1000rpms to shift and eventually needing 1500-2000 rpms before shifting so I pulled over on US 19 and Curlew Rd and was towed to McBees by AAA again. The tow truck arrived at McBees as they were closing the shop and **** (mechanic at McBees) said he'd call me on Monday. Tuesday morning, October 1st, **** called from McBees and said the transmission is shot. I asked if it was related to the previous drainage of the transmission fluid due to faulty radiator clip/repair. He said no, just coincidental. They were not related because when they refilled the transmission "it ran fine". I subsequently have spoken to two mechanics and a transmission repair shop (where the expedition is currently getting a transmission) and they all disagree with McBees assessment. All of them agree that driving a transmission with low fluid will at the very least shortened the life of the transmission and can lead to a catastrophic failure.
Wednesday morning, October 2nd, I stopped by McBees again to pick up the key and express my concerns that the two incidents were related and that I had spoken with other mechanics who concurred. They continued to totally dismiss the idea they were at all connected and said it was purely coincidental. He said I had 220,000 miles on the transmission and it just wore out. I informed him this was not the original transmission and thus did not have 220,000 miles on it. He still said the incidents were unrelated.

While I agree there is a finite life to all transmissions there are things that will drastically shorten that life. One of these things is driving with low/very low transmission fluid. It is impossible to determine the overall damage that the loss of fluid had on the expedition's transmission just as it is impossible to determine how much life the transmission had left. Nevertheless, I think any rational minded person would agree driving a transmission with low fluid will shorten that transmission's life. I agree the transmission wasn't new but also feel their repair led to the drainage of the fluid and ultimately led to the accelerated failure of the transmission. I have incurred extra towing ($140.00) as well as having to pay for a replacement transmission ($1200)sooner than I would have otherwise. I feel they shouldn't be held responsible for the entire tab but in fairness should be held responsible for at least half. I look forward to your response.

LET ME START BY SAYING I HAD NO IDEA OF THIS COMPLAINT UNTIL YESTERDAY 10/23/13 3:00PM
SO MY RESPONSE IS NOT DELAYED
I HAVE READ MR ******** COMPLANT AND I DO NOT DISPUTE ANYTHIGN OTHER THAN HIS CONTINUING TO DRIVE THE TRUCK WHEN IT FELT LIKE SOMETHING WAS NOT RIGHT WITH THE TRANSMISSION. IF ANY DAMAGE OCCURRED DUE TO THE FAULTY QUICK CONNECT ON THE RADIATOR IT WOULD HAVE SHOWN RIGHT AWAY. NOT A MONTH LATER. 220,000 MILES ON A TRANSMISSION IS A LOT OF WEAR.
BUT I UNDERSTAND WHY HE IS UPSET AND I AM WILLING TO REFUND THE 670.00 JUST BECAUSE I VALUE MY BBB SCORE AND WANT EVERY CUSTOMER THAT LEAVES MCBEES GARAGE TO BE HAPPY WITH THE SERVICE THEY RECEIVED.