In Eastern Oklahoma

Mullin Plumbing, Inc

15 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 6 closed in last 12 months

04/07/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Improper or inferior service

Complaint: Miss diagnosis of problem causing extraordinary time charges
Job was to find and repair a leak on the water line between the city meter and the house. Meter indicated a 0.5 gpm leak. I had already checked the bathrooms by closing the toilet and sink valves. Two workers arrived and repeated the same procedure. After two hours I was told they were 90% confident that the leak was on the cold water line between the hot water tank and the kitchen sink. I gave them permission to return the next day to isolate this line to confirm the leak. They cut into two lines from the hot water tank but neither was the correct one to isolate the line to the kitchen sink so these had to be repaired to restore service. Six hours after arrival, quite by accident, the leak was found in the yard about 25 feet from the meter. They took another three hours to repair the leak and repair another line that had been cut and capped.
In all I was charged $1607.00. I was charged for parts and time to make repairs that were made necessary by their incompetence in finding the leak. Basically, I paid $1607 for maybe $10.00 worth of PVC pipe and a $3.00 piece of 3/8 plywood to repair the hole that was cut in the bottom of my kitchen cabinet.
Since the job was to repair a water leak that could possibly be in the yard, they should have arrived with at least a shovel to dig the line up. I let them use two of mine so as not to delay the job any longer. I was told that the stop and waste valve on the line going to my shop building was open and the line needed to be cut and capped to see if this was the cause of the leak. When they cut the line I asked them if very much water came out and was told some but not very much.This was not the source of the leak and they put in another valve in a sleeve to put the line back in service. Apparently they never checked the functionality of this line since with the new valve open it does not work, probably because the old stop and waste valve was always in the closed position so that this could not have been the cause of the leak. Before they cut this line, I told them I had never used this line but I had opened the valve on the other end and nothing came out so I assumed the stop and waste valve was closed and I was afraid it might break if I tried to open it. Besides, I never really needed to use it.
I don't think this crew had either the right equipment or expertise to do the job they were assigned. Their supervisor though on the first day assured me that with his thirteen years experience he was 90% confident in has diagnosis of the situation. Unfortunately, I fell for it.

Better Business Bureau March 21, 2014

RE: Case #38050638
David ******
22902 E 73rd St
Broken Arrow, OK. 74014

A service call was placed on 02/20/14 at 3:17pm for an unknown water leak at Mr. ******'s residence. The dispatcher asked all the appropriate questions asking if his home was on a slab or crawl space, whether he could see any water at this time, if city personnel had been out to determine if on his side or not, it he had a main water shut off and Mr. ****** answered our questions we believe to the best of his ability.

Our Technician, **** ********, was given the information that Mr. ****** provided to us and he was dispatched on the following day. Our technician, **** ********, is a licensed Journeyman with 12+ years' experience his position here at Mullin Plumbing, Inc. is a Supervisory role and has been locating leaks both commercial & residential, in & outside the building, both in ground, below ground, pool leaks, and parking lot leaks.

With that being said, Mr. ******'s residence is not plumbed to the standard that normal residential homes are: there was no way of knowing that his main water line ran under the kitchen sink under the cabinetry that had been installed until things had been isolated.

A normal residential home will usually have a main water line that comes directly from the meter to either an outside faucet and then to the water heater or residences' that are older (1960 & 1970's) the line will come directly in by the front door. Mr. ******'s line wrapped around his home and came in under the kitchen cabinetry.

As for Mr. ******'s complaint in regards to charges for parts, after I have researched the costs that were applied to Mr. ******'s ticket we have found that those charges are in line with all other repairs that have been made in these types of situation along with our standard 40% markup. Mr. ******'s estimate at cost for parts of $13.00 is incorrect. Parts that were utilized were PEX fittings, Copper Fittings, PVC Adapters, Nitrogen, and plywood.

Furthermore, Mr. ****** signed off on the invoice approximately 30 days ago with the knowledge that he was stating his satisfaction of the job completed (see Disclosure Sample below). His filing with the Better Business Bureau was on 03/20/2014.

Invoice was signed below the following disclosure on which is present on every invoice:

"I, the undersigned, am the owner, authorized representative, or tenant of the premises at which the work has been completed. I agree that the above described work was performed to my satisfaction. The parts, labor and materials were installed as agreed. I agree to pay the total amount in full, or I represent the party that will pay in full. A service charge of $25.00 will be added to any return checks. It is also understood a lien may be placed on property where work was performed if full payment is not received. This lien can be enforced by the sale of your property. A $20.00 late charge and interest at the rate of 2% per month will be charged to any invoice not paid within 30 days. Any cost of collecting the unpaid balance, including court costs and attorney fees, will be charged to the customer and may be enforced by foreclosure of the lien provided herein."

Description of Services Rendered:

First Day: (2/22/14)
Isolated above ground fixtures to isolate leak. Then ran a pressure test and located a sound under the kitchen sink. We then ran a drill bit through the bottom of the cabinet and through the concrete and found no moisture was dry under concrete in kitchen. Equipment + 3 hours: First Day was NO charge

Second Day: (2/23/14)
At that point we started isolating the manifold in order to isolate the main manifold to the main water service. We then found that the main water line was hidden under the kitchen cabinet, hidden manifold under kitchen sink did not know it was there, customer had looped water lines. We then dug up the main water line to the building behind the house to isolate the leak.

Third Day: (2/24/14)
Once that was isolated we purged the main water line and located the leak in the yard, then we dug up the leak and made the repair as needed after that we backfilled holes and repaired the cabinet.

Total Charges: 3 days were 9.5 hours labor @ $145.50 an hour, Parts were $221.36 and a fuel surcharge of $3.50. Amount Billed to Customer's credit card on file was $1,607.11.

***** ********,
Manager

03/24/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: None of the Above - Service Complaint Issue

Complaint: sold me $2700.00 worth of unnecessary repairs, then charged me another $250.00 for the repair I actually needed
7 months ago we called Mullin out for a washer drain that was clogged. He came out and ran a snake and said it was a waste of my money because it was the old orangeberg pipes in this part of town that were the problem. He said they were about 50 years old and needed replacing. He told me he had run a camera down the drain and the decayed/collapsed orangeberg pipes was the problem. He said the reason the washing machine caused a backup was because of the big volume of water pumping out and the sewer pipe stayed pretty full, due to the orangeberg pipes collapsing, and could not handle the washer water so it backed up and ran through the garage and down the storm sewer at the curb. Another person came out and gave us an estimate of $2400.00 to $3000.00 to replace the old pipe.
I saved for the next 7 months until I thought I had enough for the repair and called for a new estimate. I was called back quickly and told the old estimate of $2700.00 would still be honored and did I want to set an appointment. Which I did.
The work was done and that afternoon when they left the first thing I did was put on a load of laundry. The first cycle pumped right out into the floor, ran through the garage and down the driveway into the city storm sewer, just like it had done all those months ago. I called the office and they sent someone back to see what was wrong. He said your problem is this little drain pipe from the laundry room floor drain to the big sewer pipe in your back yard. I said well that is what all the money and tearing up the backyard was supposed to fix, I want it fixed and I shouldn't have to pay more. You all sold me a huge repair and bill that I obviously didn't need to fix the washer backing up and it fixed nothing. He said a supervisor would be calling me about it. Someone called and said the washer drain pipe had nothing to do with the $2700.00 job they had done, it was a separate issue and would cost $250.00 more. I said it wasn't a separate issue it was my only issue. The next morning a manager called to say someone was coming out to fix the small washer drain pipe. I again stated my assertion that they had duped me into buying a very costly repair I didn't need. I had done without my washer for 7 months and given $2700.00 for nothing, all it had ever needed was a $250.00 repair that didn't take 30 minutes to do. He was offended and said I should not insinuate they had ripped me off, that they only did the job that I had asked for an estimate on and authorized them to do. I got what I paid for. I said I only asked for the job to be done because you told me it was what I needed. He said the washer pipe was not clogged when they were out 7 months ago and it was a new issue. I argued no it was the only issue they had ever been called for. I lost the argument. They sent the tech back to fix the small pipe and at the same time the guys that had put the sewer pipe in were here covering the pipe. He was on a small backhoe and the man fixing my washer pipe was right outside my windows. They were shouting over the machinery noise talking to each other. The tech said this was really probably all she needed but sooner or later the orangeberg would have been a problem and needed to be replaced anyway. The man on the backhoe said well not really, there was no orangeberg pipe it had already been replaced. The tech said what about the video they said showed orangeberg and the man on the backhoe said I don't know all I know is I dug it up and there was no orangeberg pipes. I called and asked for the video of the camera shots I was told they had showing bad orangeberg pipe and no clog in the little pipe from the washer and was told oh we don't have those anymore.
I was ripped off $2700.00 and want my money back!

Please find below the history & response to Ms. ******** dispute.
11/17/09 * Customer called in for mainline backing up, was not washer line cleared mainline and explained in bad shape.

5/19/2013 * Customer called in for mainline backing up, cleared through cleanout, old orangeburg, ran camera at no charge to customer. No warranty on cleaning line, line needs replaced.

5/20/2013 * Again ran camera free of charge to customer, gave estimate to repair or replace mainline.

2/24/2014 * Customer called request to replace sewer line, nothing to do with washer line under home. Honored quote on 5/20/2013 due to less than 1 year.

Returned a day later 2/25/2014 customer complained that washer was backing up, ran drain at no charge. Customer's drain cap was lodged in washer line explained to customer that issue with installing mainline had nothing to do with someone else getting drain cap stuck in line. Had plumber tunnel to area we located drain plug (no charge for camera). We charged for less than time to do repair and parts.

Customer called in for replacement of sewer line which 100% needed and yes line was 40ft of Orangeburg, then went into Transite and finally to Clay tile. Mullin Plumbing, Inc. had no knowledge of issue with washer drain, there was nothing brought to our attention until a day later.

The washer drain was backing only because a drain cap was lodged in line after 5/19/2013 when we cleared main line. The washing machine line is in very good shape other than the cap we had found in line on 2/25/2014.

The conversation customer said took place is completely false and slanderous. Mullin Plumbing, Inc. does not video tape any of our camera work unless customer requests and pays additional charge to have the CD recorded. At this time all camera work that was done for customer was "free of charge".

Obviously we have been out to residence multiple times with documentation that mainline had major problems and needed replaced. Customer is upset that they or some other company that had been out between 5/20/2013 and 2/24/2014 had pushed drain plug into washer line.

If customer would have called and explained the issue was only at washer we would have found drain cap in line and had it removed. Customer requested to replace main trunk line in which we did, and this line was in disrepair.

Mullin Plumbing, Inc. does not agree to any refund at this time for customer, all work that was requested was done.

03/24/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Repairs resulted in additional damage

Complaint: had substandard work done and company has yet to fix things that were performed correctly. Have spent 3 days back and forth trying to fix. no resolve
On 2/25 tech.#** replaced 10 feet of sewer line and braced it up with bricks/and old tool box found under the house. on 3/9 technician #** came over to trouble shoot work previously done and reported also that the tool box and bricks need to be removed. On 2/25 #** also replaced piping under the house where kitchen sink is but didn't put piping back together appropriately that caused the pipes to come a lose and technician #** stuck it back together to stop water but didn't put gaskets back on and there is still a major leak due to that. Kitchen pipes were not leaking, there was a cracked pipe outside that needed to be replaced and I had a clean out put in but more issues have arisen from that and now I have a constant leak that needs the piping put back together appropriately. I have spent 2/24, 2/25 and 3/9 and 3/10 and still don't have resolve. I have tried contacting the owner by email, yet I have not received a response requesting that the things that are not done appropriately be fixed. I never did get an estimate for additional work needing to be performed and I will contact another plumbing company to fix those things but I would like to have what they repaired fixed appropriately, so that I won't have to pay for that as well with another service provider. I keep getting the run around from different employee's and can't get resolve with my issue. I do have pictures to substantiate what I am referring to as well as the letters typed to the owner requesting that my job be completed. Service order numbers are ******, and ******

Contact Name and Title: ***** ******** INSTALL
Contact Email: ************************
MRS. ****** IS CORRECT THERE ARE MULTIPLE ISSUES WITH THIS HOME. THE ENTIRE HOME BENEATH NEEDS REPIPED COMPLETELY, NOT REPAIRED. ALSO IT HAS SOME ISSUES ON THE MAIN LINE. THE REASON FOR THE DELAY WE NEEDED TO GET AN INSTALL TECH TO GIVE PRICE TO DO THIS PARTICULAR JOB. THE TECHNICIANS THERE PREVIOUSLY WERE A SERVICE TECH AND A DRAIN SPECIALIST. WE DID NOT HAVE A INSTALL TECH AVAILABLE UNTIL 3/11 AND WE HAD HIM MEET MRS. ****** AT THE HOME. WE HAVE A GAMEPLAN GOING FORWARD TO GET HOME TAKEN CARE OF.

03/11/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Improper or inferior repair

Complaint: Paid this company to fix toilet & install new flapper. Toilet was WORSE when plumber left. Came back a day later, said I'd have to pay again for it.
Water was running through the toilet the day after the so-called repair. When I called them back, they said it was a "new problem" and they would charge me again for what they failed to do the first time (a repair I'd already paid for). They are also rude and condescending, in addition to being incompetent and dishonest.

mullin plumbing,inc. technician arrived in response to call requesting to clear clogged drain and replace flapper in master bath's toilet.mullin's tech checked all drains,cleanout for flow, flushed toilet and could get nothing to back up. in that hour of service, we also installed flapper and adjusted pop up assembly on lavatory faucet. person in home verified that there wer no backed up drains and toilet was working properly.two days later customer states toilet is running again, dispatched to same technician and he diagnosed flapper was doing it's job but douglas valve was leaking back into tank bowl. we offered to replace douglas valve and start billing at time plus material, just continuation of job previous. customer refused. mullin technician was there for (1) hour and that is all we charged, and parts. even if douglas valve was leaking that day we were out initially there is no way we could do what would be needed in one hour's time.

02/04/2013Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Bait & switch advertisement

Complaint: Mullin Plumbing is advertising under a local plumbing company name. In reality they are over 70 miles away. Resulting in a large service call fee.
I had an emergency leak spraying water into my closet. My home is in a very rural area, so I searched online for the closest plumbing company. The company I found (Grayco Plumbing) listed to be around 5 miles from my home. One link attached to the Grayco listing brought up Grayco Plumbing Website. The other link was a "call" button. When I called, I couldn't understand the name that the worker said, but I was frantic, so I explained my situation. I needed a plumber ASAP for a leak. She asked my address and told me it would be $257.00 and would include the service call and first hour. I thought the high fee was because it was an emergency and I didn't have an appointment. I was given the impression I was calling a local plumber and they never mentioned anything about being over 70 miles away from me. When the service plumber showed up well over an 1 1/2 hours later, I noticed the truck said Mullin Plumbing. I showed him the leak and he fixed it in less than 5 minutes.
I should mention that he did a good job.
My home is on a rural gravel/dirt road 30 minutes from the nearest town. The next day when I started checking into the google plumber listing, I called the "Grayco Plumbing" listing again. This time I asked if I was speaking to Grayco Plumbing. I was told that they went out of business and that Mullin Plumbing had bought Grayco Plumbing's phone numbers. But I looked into the Grayco Plumbing website and it is still up and running and there is nothing on it to show the service you'll be receiving is coming from over 70 miles away. To me this is deceiving and this rural community is falling prey. I believe this is intentional and criminal business practices by Mullin Plumbing.

MULLIN PLUMBING, INC. SERVICES THE GREATER GREEN COUNRY AREA DISTANCES GREATER THAN 150 MILES. WHEN SOMEONE CALLS WE EXPLAIN OUR DRIVETIME TO THAT LOCATION. WE PURCHASED GRAYCO'S PHONE NUMBER AROUND 3 YEARS AGO. THEY WERE NOT LOCAL TO THE BRISTOW AREA. THE CLOSEST PLUMBING COMPANY I WOULD ESTIMATE WOULD BE SAPULPA. PEOPLE USE US BECAUSE WE ARE FAST, PROMPT, AND VERY GOOD AT WHAT WE DO. OUR DISPATCHERS ARE EXACT WHEN EXPLAINING TO OUR CUSTOMERS ON WHAT THEY ARE PAYING FOR. UNFORTUNEATELY FOR THIS CUSTOMER SHE LIVES IN AN AREA THAT IS NOT LOCAL, FOR ANY SERVICE COMPANY.

09/05/2013Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Failure to correct billing errors

Complaint: Fraudulent billing for labor on project
The plumber billed me for 2 hours of labor when he was only physically on the property for just under 2 hours. He was on the phone, drinking his mountain dew, sitting in his vehicle for half the time he was at the site. He also took parts that were bought and already installed when he installed his own parts. When the office was called they assured me that a supervisor would look into it and get back to me. They have not returned the call.

In response to your concerns I did try to contact Mr. ******* via phone with no response. I also checked our gps system and saw that my tech was on site for almost 2 hours that is why the bill reflects the charges for 2 hours plus parts. This is why we use gps so we can assure every customer that thay are paying for the time being charged for. I am available for contact at any time for any questions you migh have. Thanks Mullin Plumbing

A $50 credit is of no worth to me since I plan on never using this company ever again. Integrity is important to me and this company lacks this essential characteristic.

*****, our Service Mgr. feels as the charges our valid, but did offer customer a 1/2 hour of free labor certificate off next visit. Coupon is worth
$48.50 good up to (1) year.

04/12/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: None of the Above - Customer Service Complaint Issue

Complaint: The manager of the company cancelled my estimate after the estimate had already been calculated. He did this because he was offended when I questioned his handling of the situation. I contacted the company when they failed to respond in the agreed upon time. A Mr. ****** injected himself into the correspondence and claimed that we had no contact since 2010. I indicated that was incorrect and queried as to why he was handling this problem. He indicated that he is the manager of the business and as such handles all internet correspondence. His reason for the mistake about my current interaction was that there are several facets to the company and he is not privvy to certain data. I find that bogus and think it was simply an oversight on his part, a poor performance. Mr. ****** apparently took offense at my questioning his omnipotence and elected to cancel my service request. Future customers need to know what to expect from ****** plumbing management. BBB needs to let them know. I have email that I can furnish in support of this claim.

IN REGARDS TO THIS MATTER, I THINK THE ENTIRE SITUATION EXPLAINS FULLY ABOUT TIMEFRAMES FOR WHICH WE GET
INFORMATION BACK TO OUR CUSTOMERS. WE FEEL THAT 24-48 HOURS IS MORE THAN REASONABLE TIMEFRAME IN WHICH WE RESPOND BACK TO THEM. UNDERSTANDING, THIS WAS NOT ADEQUATE FOR MR. ******, AND MY EMAIL JUST EXPLAINS EXACTLY THIS. THERE
WERE NO ISSUES ON OUR END THAT SHOULD DESCRIBE HIS DISLIKE OF OUR HANDLING OF THIS ESTIMATE. OUR DEALINGS WITH
CUSTOMERS AND OUR ESTIMATES HAVE NEVER BEEN OR WILL BE AN ISSUE WITH THE BBB. WE APPRECIATE EVERYTHING THEY
DO FOR US AND OUR LOYAL CUSTOMERS.

SINCERELY,

****** ******
INSTALL MANAGER
****** PLUMBING, INC.

Mr. ****** continues to deny his error and he continues a haughty attitude. His tactic is to express the company policy even though it is irrelevent in this case. He is blowing smoke and trying to cover his actions. I have the correspondence which clearly shows his arrogance and disrespect for the customer, and I can furnish it upon request. The main issue is the fact that he denied services because he personally took offense that I questioned his statement that I was not a customer of record. After touting that he was the manager of the company and the guru of customer relations he then said that there was certain data that he was not privvy to and that he was cancelling the estimate, even though the work to derive the estimate was already complete. This caused a substantial delay in the bathroom project which has been completed by another company. It is embarassing to witness the groveling response to the BBB inquiry that was displayed. If the company response remains the attempt to dis-credit me I repeat that I have the email that supports my allegations and refutes the company's line. I am finished with this issue and I feel as though I have helped consumers to avoid the negativity when dealing with ****** Plumbing management.

04/29/2014Problems with Product / Service
08/03/2012Billing / Collection Issues
07/16/2012Problems with Product / Service

Plumbers, Air conditioning & Heating Contractors - Commercial, Septic Tanks & Systems Contractors & Dealers, Plumbing Drains & Sewer Cleaning, Drainage Contractors