BBB Accredited Business since 03/01/2011

Big Buffalo Pawn Shop

05/06/2016Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

They repossessed my expensive car needlessly
I was on my way to redeem my pawned item, an expensive car. I was in full communication with big buffalo for several days about this.
On my way , I was on the phone with them, as I got close , I told them I would be one minute late . They turned off the lights, locked the door, called the police . I was sitting in my car quietly. They told the police they would call me the next day. They never did .

It would be very nice to have them call me abou t this, even to offer a resolution . They told me not to call them again.

On January 3,2015 our customer came in to the Big Buffalo Pawn Shop for a collateral loan. He had a 1959 Ford car. We agreed on a dollar amount for the loan. Our loans are set up for 30 days, 5% interest, and a $4.00 a month storage fee. At the end of the 30 days, if a customer cannot pay the full amount to reclaim the item, they pay the finance charge and that extends the loan another 30 days. Once a loan gets 60 days past due, we send a final notice and the customer has 30 days from the date of the final notice to either catch it up or reclaim it.
The customer received a final notice on his account in April and July. Both times the loan was caught up on the last day possible. The customer had made several calls to the pawn shop on both days begging for more time. He was told once the final notices go out, he had 30 days from the date on the final notice to either catch it up or reclaim it and as long as he was in by 5:00 o'clock he would be good. We explained to him that if he paid the finance charge every 30 days, he wouldn't have to worry about losing it.
On November 6, 2015 the customer called the pawn shop several times asking how much he owed to extend his loan and was begging for more time. He was told how much was owed and that as long as he was in the door by 5:00 o'clock he would be good.
We closed at 5:00 and closed the gate. The customer drove around the gate and pulled up in front and began pounding on the door. He walked around the parking lot behind our vehicles and called the pawn shop leaving messages. The sheriff was called at 5:11 due to customer driving around the gate and pounding on the door. The police report shows that the customer and the sheriff left at 5:48.

07/28/2014Problems with Product / Service