BBB Accredited Business since 08/21/2001

Old Style Body Shop Inc.

05/08/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Shop did paint job on sunroof, hood, area surrounding hood but did not match the rest of body-paint is too light. ****** (owner) and admitted they didn't adjust color or blend as is customary. They make excuses that paint is faded but it is not, only some on the driver side on roof but still matches body. (See pictures enclosed) hood near windshield is too light color. My chip color matches the body paint. Rear passenger fender painted four years ago matches rest of car. ****** says there is "purple" in chip. They can't be reasoned with and change stories.

Three different body shop say colors don't match according to pictures. The car's still there. Repaint or take $500 off $1750 so I can repaint.

Mr. brought his 1985 Mazda RX7 into our body shop on 09/24/2012. Prior to that date, however, we allowed Mr. to purchase his own parts from an out of town salvage yard (for this vehicle and another vehicle), have them shipped here and we stored them until we either used them, he returned them (as some were damaged), or he took them home. At his request we checked all parts and identified and marked numerous (approximately 50) dents. We took pictures of the damage and e-mailed them to the salvage yard so that Mr. could either be compensated or refunded his original purchase price. This time consuming and cost prohibitive practice is not common to our business, but we extended this courtesy to Mr. without ANY charge to him.
We did repair the vehicle (and some of his additional parts) per an agreed-upon work order. Mr. came in on 11/21/2012 and inspected the vehicle, but did not take the car stating the paint did not match. The body shop manager spoke with him explaining that due to the numerous shades of silver (secondary to oxidation, sun fading and peeling clear coat) already on the vehicle it would be impossible to match perfectly. The vehicle also has numerous baseball sized hail damage to adjacent panels (pictures are available at your request).
During the months of December, January and February the customer continued to call and/or come in complaining the paint did not match. We continued to advise him that due to the variances of paint already on the vehicle there would be no way to perfectly match the paint.
The customer states we are unwilling to work with him, however we did repaint the hood and blended the paint into the fenders and the customer was still not content.
Again, we have taken pictures and we can e-mail them to you at your request. In addition, we welcome someone from the Better Business Bureau to come in and examine the vehicle.

There are not various colors. Most of the car is one color. The company keeps saying they cannot perfectly match the color. I am not asking for a perfect match, but relatively close. I had other body shops look at the pictures I have enclosed with my original complaint and have also been told by them that the paint does not match. The issue is not resolved, please keep my complaint open. I am now told if I do not pick my car up by the end of the month, they will charge me $25 a day for storage. So they are forcing me to pay without doing further work on the car. I would like for the company to hold off on charges for storage until this complaint is resolved.

See attached document

The owner called me last Tuesday and dropped the price to $1,500.00. That still isn't good enough.
He said if I don't pick up my car by tomorrow then he will charge me $25.00 per day for storage. I'm forced into getting my car now because of the storage fees.

This customer came back into the shop today and spoke with the owner. The owner agreed to discount his bill to a mutually agreed upon amount. Customer paid bill in full and has taken his vehicle.

Auto Body Repair & Painting