In Southern Colorado

Trans Tech Transmissions Inc

3 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 0 closed in last 12 months

03/18/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: None of the Above - Service Complaint Issue

Complaint: In 2011 my transmission went in my 2005 Dodge Ram 2500. I shopped around and went with Trans Tech. They had the truck for 3 days. When I got the truck back I was told that I had a 12,000 mile 1 yr warranty. I paid 2500.00. In July/August 2012 the transmission went out again. It was just out of warranty. I took it back to Trans Tech it sat for 4/5 days. When they put it in the shop *** told me that 1st gear went out and he called it a hard part. That cost me 1500.00. Gave me a 6 month 6000 mile warranty. Now it is Feb 2013 transmission went out again. The company that has the truck now told me it will cost me 4100.00 to fix the transmission. Did I tell you I am a small business owner and I lost my snowplowing contracts

On 2/23/13 ( Saturday) Mr ***** submitted a negative review on our website. It was not until then, that we had knowledge that a problem even existed. We are normally closed on Saturday and Sunday. Apparently he also filed a complaint against our company on that same day with BBB, without contacting us first.
On Monday 02/25/2013 @ 9:00am, I called Mr ***** about this issue, since we had not received a phone call from him indicating that he even had a problem with his transmission. We were shocked that he would file a complaint and write a negative review, without first making a call and giving us the opportunity to remedy his problem. The repairs that we made in 2012 were out of warranty, but he was advised that we would take care of the problem. He said that he had already taken the truck to *********** and authorized them to replace the transmission for $3,000 +/-. We offered several times to honor an expired warranty. He refused all offers. What more could we possibly do?
He called back a while later and agreed to have us fix the transmission. He agreed to pay for towing and arrange to have it towed to our shop.
After receiving the vehicle, we checked it out only to discover that there was no serpentine belt on the engine. It was completely missing. I called Mr. ***** to advise him of this problem. He was unaware of the missing belt, and said he would call *********** to get info on that matter. It is almost impossible to steer a Dodge diesel truck without power steering due to a missing belt. He called back a while later and said he would bring a new belt. When he arrived with the belt, we had just removed the transmission pan to make an inspection. Mr ***** was there to inspect for himself. He then admitted that *********** had removed the transmission pan when it was at their shop. A mechanic told him that there was a loose bolt that was about ready to fall out, so the mechanic tightened it up.
As it turns out, the bolt that was supposedly "loose" was not loose at all, and was factory installed exactly where it was supposed to be. The mechanic obviously was not a transmission expert and should not have tampered with the bolt position. But since he did over-tighten the bolt, he also damaged the bolt bracket and Valve Body casting.
Mr ***** witnessed these observations while he was at our shop. Several other problems were pointed out to Mr ***** about the truck, mostly leak related issues. He agreed to pay us to resolve some of the engine oil leak issues, but not all of them, while the transmission was removed for repairs to save him major labor expenses in the future.
Mr ***** was also advised that some upgrades should be made to the transmission while it was apart to make it stronger, since he now uses the truck to plow snow. He was also informed that snow plowing adds extra strain, wear & tear on a transmission, especially additional heat. Heat is what killed his transmission this time. He declined to do all the upgrades due to financial restraints. He was also informed that there would be no additional warranty on the transmission either expressed or implied, after this repair.
During the transmission repair process, attempts were made to resolve the issues with the damaged parts that occurred by the *********** mechanic. The possibility existed that those attempts may or may not work out in Mr *****'s favor, and he was informed of that fact.
After the transmission was installed, it was discovered on the test drive that those attempts were not successful, and that the parts that were damaged at *********** would need to be replaced.
Mr ***** arrived at our shop as I was returning from the test drive. I informed him that the damaged parts to the Valve Body would need to be replaced in order for the transmission to function properly.
He said he would take that issue up with *********** and get back to me. He called a while later, and authorized us to "special order" the parts and over-night them to us. He was advised of the costs to due so, and agreed to pay for them.
The next day, Mr ***** called and informed me not to use the "special order" parts because *********** was going to pay for them, and would over night them to us. They ordered a complete Valve Body assembly. We installed the part and completed the repairs on 03/08/13.
Even though this repair was out of warranty, we completely absorbed the costs to repair Mr *****'s transmission with the exception of the parts that *********** mechanic damaged.
We also believe that we far exceeded normal expectations for normal warranty timeframes.
Mr ***** promised that he would contact the BBB and remove or reverse the complaint that he filed against our company, since we were going to repair the transmission outside of the warranty terms.
We believe that this complaint was filed before any attempts were made by Mr ***** to contact our company. We were not given any opportunity to resolve this matter prior to him filing the complaint. It was not until we initiated a phone call to Mr ***** that this matter was even addressed. We believe that we have exceeded what most companies would do in this situation.
We are requesting that this complaint not be included in our public file. Thank you in advance.

07/23/2012Problems with Product / Service
08/06/2012Guarantee / Warranty Issues

Transmissions - Automobile, Four Wheel Drive Vehicles - Repair & Service, Auto Service - Maintenance/Other, Truck Repair & Service, Recreational Vehicles - Repair & Service, Mufflers & Exhaust Systems, Lubricating Service - Automotive, Engines - Rebuild & Exchange, Brake Service, Auto Repairing - Foreign, Auto Repair & Service - Diesel, Auto Repair & Service, Auto Electric Service, Auto Diagnostic Service, Auto Air Conditioning, Clutches