BBB Accredited Business since 10/17/1989

Buckley Chang Eye Institute

05/12/2015Guarantee / Warranty Issues | Read Complaint Details

Lasik surgery was performed on May 9, 2014 to correct halos around lights at night, an astigmatism and near sightedness. None of these were done. My range of sight now is roughly 3 feet to 18 feet; no closer, and no farther. I am forced to now walk around with glasses in my hand, as I can see in front of me to walk, but need glasses after that. Refund the full amount of $3,698.00 immediately and I will have to use those funds to find a Lasik surgeon that can correct the vision. I have made many appointments after the procedure to have it corrected and was advised it was a 'one shot deal' and what I have is what I am stuck with. The office assistant **** (office refused to give out last name) said what I had was what I was stuck with that "I should know that surgery is one time only and now the eyes are scarred and there is nothing they can do".
I returned over and over again and they insist my eyes are fine. Now the office is now telling me that I am out of post-surgical appointments and basically shut the door in my face and ran with the money. Buckley Chang Eye Institute left me without corrective vision thus voiding their guarantee.

Full refund for both eyes.

********* came to our office on 5/8/14 for a Lasik consultation and exam. During both the consultation and exam it was explained to ********* that by correcting her nearsighted astigmatism she would lose her ability to see at near and intermediate distances but would have excellent distance vision, this is documented in two different places in her chart. The patient was educated that because she was over the age of 45 she was considered presbyopic and that meant that she would need reading glasses if she were corrected to 20/20 for distance. During the exam it was demonstrated that the reason she could see up close now without glasses was because she was nearsighted but that correcting that nearsightedness would cause her to lose that ability. It was also demonstrated that she had the option of not fully correcting her non-dominant eye, thus leaving her slightly nearsighted in her left eye to have some social/casual intermediate vision without readers. The patient declined this option and stated that she would be okay with readers. On each subsequent exam of 5/12/14 & 5/29/14, the patient's vision measured 20/20 or better for distance in each eye. There were no other appointments scheduled by the patient until 2/23/15. At that appointment it was noted that the patient was very upset and stated "that she wanted her near vision back." The patient threatened that she was going to "scream and run out of here if I can't fix her vision!" It was noted by the technician that she also used profanity in that statement. The technician attempted to explain to the patient that it wasn't possible to undo the surgery and that we would attempt to help her with non-surgical options. The patient was upset and frustrated and left the exam without seeing************.
The next contact the patient had with our office was a call demanding copies of her records. She stated that she would be seeking legal counsel. We told her she would need to come in and sign a records release which she did on 2/23/15. The head tech, ******, called the patient and invited her to come back in for an exam with *********, COT and************. The patient scheduled an appointment for 3/9/15 but did not show up for this appointment. ********* came into the office & picked up her records on 3/6/15 and was at that time reminded of her appointment on 3/9/15 which she stated she would make. We also do confirmation calls the day before to all patients as a reminder. There has been no further contact with this patient since that time.

01/14/2015Problems with Product / Service

Laser Eye Surgery, Physicians & Surgeons - Ophthalmology, Optometrists, Opticians, Optical Goods - Service & Repair