BBB Accredited Business since 12/30/1998

Benjamin Franklin The Punctual Plumber

06/29/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

We were charged $*** for a service call & of that $*** was for a leak check. I was not expecting that much & thought the $** was part of it.

We had McCarthy's One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning come out on the ***********. We were charged $** for a service charge & $*** for a leak check. I was not expecting that much. I had to borrow from my mother-in-law to cover the check. Even though we found out where the leak was we are still without air conditioning. The temperatures are above the mid 80's & expecting 90's next week. We have been having our kids stay in the basement due to the heat. *****, the service technician, said that we had 3 options : To charge us the leak check & determine the location of the leak, but no guarantee that would solve the problem of cooling the house. To replace the a-coil & charge us approximately $** a pound for a 10 lbs. system. To replace the system. ***** explained that he had no exact prices for any of this because he is not the sales adviser. Also, we called on the weekend & was quoted a price of $*** to come out. My wife said is there a less expensive option. The agent said that there was an opening on Tuesday. That charge was reduced to $**. We thought that we could endure the heat until then. We had *** ***** come out on the ****. I let him know up front that we were more interested in repairing the system & not replacing the system. *** said there was no guarantees with repair. *** said that there was a system that would be compatible with our ***** system. Then, it would be guaranteed for 10 years. I explained to him that we may not be approved for financing due to problems with a couple of late payments. After a long discussion of upsaling & saying that for your trouble we are giving you 3 years of our club benefits. ***, got our information & ran it through the lender. *** said that it was late & would run the information the next morning. I was called about 8:47am & was left with a voicemail message saying that we were not approved & if there were any other options he would listen to it. To date, we are still without any relief from the heat. I would not recommend this company to a friend or relative. We saw the expression from *** before he left that he was disappointment that he was not able to sell us a new air conditioner. I also was not impressed that he didn't realize that we had a heat pump & not a regular air conditioner. From his position, I would expect a more experienced observation. I was also told that we would have a portable air conditioner available this week, but have not heard anything.

I would expect a repair of the a-coil & the system re-charged. The $*** to be applied to this repair.

Contact Name and Title: ********* Call Center Man
Contact Email: ******************
Dear Mr. *******,

I am sorry you feel taken advantage of that is not our intention at all and I certainly understand your frustration. Below are the details that were discussed with you per your visit on ******** with ***** and on ********* with ***.

First, I did listen to your recorded phone call with our representative from our national call center after hours and she advised the service fee would be $****** plus repairs (since we were in after hours) or if you wanted a standard rate it would be $***** plus repairs during daytime hours for your no cool situation.

Next, when ***** arrived at your home on ********, the service fee was $***** (which you were aware) and after diagnosing the unit he advised to find out what was exactly wrong with your unit he would need to do a leak search. At that time, ***** went over pricing with our "Straight Forward Pricing Guide" which is standard rate that will show you the exact pricing for repairs for our Club Members and Non Club Members, Upon agreement ***** proceeded to do the leak Search which by our "Straight Forward Pricing Guide" is $****** for Club Members and $****** for Non club members. At the end of the leak search ***** found the A coil in your unit leaking and your unit was Flat (Which means zero refrigerant)

Following the leak search and diagnosing the issue. ***** advised you of the "Straight Forward Pricing" for repairs. At that time, you advised you wanted to just replace the unit. *****, advised he was unable to assist in the pricing of a new unit but he would be more than happy to send one of our Comfort Advisors out to give you a free replacement quote. At that point you can compare repair costs to replacement. I understand you wanted ***** to give you pricing for a new unit but our field technicians do not have access to new unit pricing. ***** was following proper business protocol.

Finally, ****** came out on *********. *** went over pricing for a new unit and quoted $****** for a 5 ton Heat Pump, Thermostat, which included a 3 year Club Membership. After submitting your information to financing it was declined. At that time, we were never advised if you wanted to do repairs or if you were finding another way for financing.

As we stand, We have been upfront and honest about your repairs and how much it would cost. Without doing a leak search, which you were advised was an extra fee we would not have known the issues with your unit. My technicians and Comfort Adviser has followed business protocol and I am sorry, but I cannot give you the requested refund. If you like to continue with the repair please let us know. We are available 24/7 and we do value your business.

Thank you for your time.

*********
Call Center Manager

12/21/2015Problems with Product / Service

Plumbers, Water Heaters - Dealers, Septic Tanks - Treatment Supplies, Garbage Disposal Equipment - Supplies & Parts, Water Heaters - Repairing, Utility Contractors, Septic Tanks & Systems Contractors & Dealers, Plumbing Drains & Sewer Cleaning