BBB Accredited Business since 01/16/2004

Central States Indemnity Co. of Omaha

10 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 4 closed in last 12 months

06/14/2016Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I have been trying to get a refund on the credit protection fees that were billed to my credit card and I am getting the run around.
CSI is stating that I signed up for the credit protection program with ************. After several weeks of the run around from CSI, I received a letter from them stating that I had signed up for the credit protection and they had proof from ************. The proof that they sent was a screen shot of my account with no actual proof that I signed up. It only shows that I had the credit protection billed to my account. I tried contacting them again letting them know that, what they sent me was not proof that I signed up for it. They are still refusing to refund me my money.

I want all the fees that were charged to my credit card by CSI refunded back to my credit card. Going back to **** when my account was opened.

CSI has proof of enrollment via an internet application. The customer has received a response regarding this matter and provided her with a copy of the enrollment.

CSI sent me a snapshot of my account from ************. It does NOT show that I willing signed up for the product it ONLY shows that I was enrolled. I explained to CSI that the account was set up as a secured account, so if I defaulted on the account, the money that I sent to ************ would belong to *******. There was no need for me to sign up for credit protection. I also explained to them, that the application online for the secured account with ************ was a standard application with my name and personal information that was to be filled out online and my security deposit was to be mailed in, within a specific time frame in order from them to process my application. Nothing on the online application allowed me an option to sign up for CSI's credit protection service. Again this was a SECURED ACCOUNT no need for me to have any type of credit protection. I have asked CSI to please send me proof that I agreed to their service and they have yet to do so. A snap shot of my account was sent to me and that tells me I have the service, not that I willingly signed up for the service. They continue to give me the run around with this. CSI is telling me that ************ has the information and ************ is telling me they have nothing to do with this. All I am asking is that I am given proof (not a snapshot) of my account showing that I requested the service. Since they have not provided me with that I believe a FULL refund should be given to me. I feel like they are aware that I didn't request the service and instead of refunding my account, they continue to tell me that I have signed up for something that I DID NOT sign up for. This all seems not a terrible business practice. I cant imagine that they are allowed to basically steal hard earned money from hard working consumers.

The statement that they responded with is a LIE. I called and asked them to refund my money 2 months ago due to the fact that I never signed up for any credit protection service with CSI. My last conversation with them was only to make a point by saying that I had a secured account why would I need credit protection and I have and would have never needed it our used it, since It was a secured card. They are trying to get out of the fact that they have been charging my account for fees that they shouldn't have. CSI also has YET to send me proof that I signed up for their credit protection. (not a snap shot of my account)actual proof that I agreed. Both letters were sent to me, I have never denied that, and both times I contacted them and disputed them. I have explained to them that I have NEVER signed up for any credit protection from them willingly. If they have that I asked for it, that information is false! They are refusing to give my money back that they took from me without my authorization. I am asking them to again provide me with PROOF that I signed up for it. Normally when you sign up for something you should have proof that it was done. Until they give me proof that I willingly signed up for it and it wasn't added without my knowledge, I will continue to ask them for a full refund. They also stated that they sent in correspondence with my credit card, well there were lots of things that came when I received my card from *******. That is easily another way into tricking consumers into believing that they signed up for something that they did NOT sigh up for, by stating that the information comes with your new credit card. This is not a good business practice for companies like CSI.

The insured contacted our office on ******** to cancel the coverage. At that time, she indicated the reason for the request was due to the fact that she did not utilize the credit insurance protection. The credit card issuer was able to provide CSI with a copy of the enrollment. The insured enrolled online for a credit card account and indicated she wished to have the Payment Protection Plan. Secured accounts are eligible for protection. By indicating she wanted to enroll in the coverage, she was issued coverage. A certificate of insurance was mailed to her and was not returned to CSI as undeliverable. Had a loss been incurred, benefits would have been considered in accordance with the provisions of the policy. A refund is not available.

06/06/2016Guarantee / Warranty Issues | Read Complaint Details

CSI need to provide the services that they are paid for!
I have a credit card with ***********************, at the time of opening my card, I purchased the additional protection with CSI who protects your card in the event of a job loss. On ***********, I lost my job and after waiting the 30-day waiting period, I submitted a claim to CSI to have my card payments made. Before faxing in all of my information and the claim form, I called and spoke to a CSR. I told the CSR that I was going to have to leave the employer field blank due to my employer not wanting to provide any information to the unemployment office or any other of my card protection companies regarding my job loss. The CSR told me that an unemployment approval letter stating that I was terminated from my position for reasons not related to attendance would be acceptable in lieu of this missing information from my employer. Per her instruction, I faxed all of this information in. After waiting a few weeks with no response, I called and spoke to a CSR who told me that no determination would be made on my claim due to no response from the employer. Where in any fine print is that the right thing to do? My *** credit card is now two months behind and I'm being punished because my previous employer is refusing to respond to information requests! I pay for this service in order to be covered during a job loss, not to get more stressed. If the ***** Workforce Commission has determined that my job loss was valid, then CSI should honor that and pay the benefit that they are paid to do!

My benefit needs to be paid. I sent all of the information that I had, including my Unemployment Approval Letter from ***** Workforce Commission stating that my job loss was valid. All of my other card protection companies with ******, and ******** were able to determine my job loss was valid with this information. PERFORM THE SERVICE THAT YOU HAVE BEEN PULLING MONEY OFF MY CARD FOR. Please remove the two late payments from my credit report

The claim documentation submitted does not verify the actual last day worked. However, benefits have been considered through **************. A Continuing Claim Form along with notification of payment will be sent to the claimant.
A Continuing Involuntary Unemployment Claim Form must be completed in full and returned to our office for consideration of further benefits.
On *****************, a letter was sent to the claimant that accompanied the Initial Claim Form that states "You need to keep in contact with your processing center to ensure the account remains current until a decision is made regarding your claim". The claimant will need to contact the processing center regarding the reversal of any late fees assessed to the account.

My unemployment schedule shows that my unemployment benefits began on ********** due to the job loss on ******. The documentation provided shows my continued unemployment through the month of *****, as the paperwork
shows unemployment payments through **********. I will not be sending in duplicate documentation after already providing what was needed. Please pay the claim through ***** and I will submit documentation to support a *** payment and work with *** to have the 30 day late payments removed from my report.

The Initial Claim Form in file was signed on **************. In order to consider further benefits, a Continuing Claim Form needs to be completed in full, signed, dated with a current date and submitted to our office. The job service information provided was not received in full and does not verify the customer's work status. Additional benefits cannot be provided without an updated claim form.

05/02/2016Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

It's been over half a year trying to get my disability coverage paid they keep telling me they need this or that

Refund my money of not gonna pay my payment

Pay the payment or give me my money back

This individual is not insured with Central States Indemnity Co. of Omaha. We have spoken with the claimant and it appears the complaint should be referred to *****************************************.
Please remove Central States Indemnity from this inquiry.

This complaint does not involve the company it was addressed to (Central States Indemnity Co.), but it does involve ***************************************** and I am responding on their behalf.
The complainant had advised our office that he was not willing to provide information needed to process his credit disability claim.
On *************, the complainant requested cancellation of his coverage. On *************, the coverage was cancelled and a full premium refund was sent to the creditor to apply to the outstanding loan balance. I also called the complainant today and left him a message explaining our handling.
I trust this matter has been satisfactorily resolved. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

12/28/2015Problems with Product / Service