Minnesota and North Dakota

BBB Accredited Business since 09/11/2002

Nystrom Moving & Storage, Inc.

07/14/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Failure to respond to phone calls or written requests for assistance or support

Complaint: I originally called the company to get information on a move for the future. When I wanted to get a day & time set-up is when problem evolved.
I called on Tuesday 6/10 LM my call was returned Wednesday 6/11 they left VM with no info. I called back 6/12 got actual person was given 2 time slots when I said I would like to check & get back to them I was conveniently disconnected. That evening I called & LM that time slot 1-2 would work please call me. Got no response so I called & got someone to answer & when I explained who I was & about what was conveniently hung up on.

I am very sorry that this customer did not receive what she was looking for from my company.

We did not have times available to move her piece of furniture that corresponded with the times she wanted the move to occur, and in exchanging phone calls to work out the time over a period of 4 days from Jun 10th to Jun 13th, opportunities kept closing. June is a very busy time of the year and Fridays and Saturdays are the busiest days of the week. June 13th was a Friday.

I also was called away with a sick/disabled spouse on the 12th and the 13th, and left the phones for my company with a trusted crew member who often fills in for me when I have to be away. He was aware of the times that this customer and I were trying to work out, but again, the calendar was filling in and he was having difficulty accommodating her needs.

Joe insists he did not hang up on this customer and it is unlikely as he and I both bend over backwards to fill people's needs. He does answer phones from a forward to a cell phone, so it is possible that the connections were poor, or reception was dropped. He should have followed up however, if that was the case.

I spoke with this customer today, July 2nd, on this my third attempt to reach out to her with regard to her complaint, and tried to reach a resolution.

She stated today that there is no resolution. She said there was no way to satisfy her since her piece of furniture was already moved and she wanted to make a complaint to let us know that we should be doing business in a different manner. I said I wished she had spoken to me and given me, the owner, a chance to satisfy her before filing a complaint and she said that she had already had the furniture moved before she filed the complaint, so there was nothing I could have done for her with regard to moving her furniture. According to my message log, she was looking to have the furniture moved on Fri, Jun 13 or Sat, Jun 14 for which I gave her 3 options on those days. I was away from the phones on Thurs, Jun 12 in the afternoon and on Fri, Jun 13 all day. Her experience with Joe must have occurred during those days, and she must have had the furniture moved after she filed the BBB complaint.

I could have, and would have, worked something out with her had she just called me and brought the poor customer service to my attention personally. Instead, she quickly filed a complaint with the BBB and has no interest in a resolution.

She is correct, a call should be returned promptly.
However, sometimes circumstances are such that it just cannot be and a business suffers when they miss an opportunity to be of service.

The customer states that details should be left in a voicemail message. Often it is difficult to leave all details in a voicemail message, especially with a complex scheduling calendar, and when options are given through a message, there is no guarantee that the time slot will be available when the call is returned in response to a message.

She states that she was hung up on, and I respectfully disagree with that assessment.

We do not have employees that do not want to work. The fact that she states she spoke with someone in the evening shows that he was being diligent in answering the phone and trying to be attentive to service even after hours.

Again, today I tried to offer a resolution and she kept restating that there is no resolution, except to complain. That is resolution for her. It leaves me with nothing but a blemish and no way to satisfy this person.

I am very sorry that she had a poor experience with my company. On the rare occasion that I have any negative feedback from a customer, I always tell people that I am happy to have the information, as I would not know of these problems or perceptions unless they called me, and that, with the information, I am able to address the issues and correct the problems.

I wish this customer had given me the chance to try to satisfy her. she probably would have received a free move, as I am often accused of 'giving away the store' in the name of making happy customers.

***** Nystrom