BBB Accredited Business since 07/01/1976

Abalon Foundation Repairs

3 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 2 closed in last 12 months

12/10/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

We hired Abalon to excavate around the front of our house and ten feet around one side, down to the footing, to waterproof and insulate those sections of foundation. The work was completed in the beginning of May, 2014 and payment was made in full. After the first rain, the soil around our house settled and we noticed that the insulation did not extend all the way to the corner on two sides, as per the agreement. During the summer we made numerous attempts to have this addressed with Abalon. It took until August for them to send someone to repair the problem, and after they finished we noted that they still had not addressed the issue in its entirety two feet on the north side and front south-west corner still does not have insulation covering it. After numerous more phone calls we still have not had this issue resolved and it is now mid November. Temperatures are starting to plummet and we are facing another winter with a cold basement and astronomical heating bills, the very thing we were trying to mitigate by investing in this costly repair in the first place. This is an unacceptable level of service.

We would like this company to finish the work they started, or a rebate to cover the cost of having someone else complete the work.

Sorry this had to go to the BBB, it was a scheduling problem and now the work is completed to the homeowners satisfaction.

12/15/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Foundation repair was to start in spring and work has still not started. Company keeps increasing their quote and refuses to refund my deposit.
To whom it may concern,

I selected Abalon Foundation Repairs *********************** I called and asked them to come out and provide me with a quote on repairing my home's foundation. *** (their estimator) quoted me $13,335.00 on April 30/15 to do the repair and said they would start in 2 weeks. I accepted his quote and provided him with a $2000 deposit via *********** He said that I needed to meet with their structural engineer ******* ***** to confirm that ***'s suggested plan of repair was acceptable. *** had informed me that the cost of ********** services would be about $300. ******* came to my house and determined that the foundation walls were too badly damaged to just brace with steel beams as planned and they actually needed to be replaced. Abalon then came back to me with a new quote of $20,050.00. After giving it some thought, I accepted.

I then applied for a permit. During this time ******* was asked to provide a drawing illustrating the planned wall replacement along with a shoring plan to communicate how the house would be supported once the existing walls were removed. Getting him to cooperate and provide these drawings was excruciating! He would rarely return my calls and e-mails. It was very discouraging.

Once I finally got the necessary drawings from ******* I submitted them to the permits office and was issued a permit. I informed ***** (owner of Abalon) of the good news that I got my permit and we could finally get started. He then told me that he's very busy and couldn't start on my project till next year! He also told me at this point that based on ********** drawings it was actually going to cost $36,750.00 to replace my foundation walls. Needless to say I was flabbergasted at such an unexpected increase!! Abalon should have informed me of this increase months earlier to see if I could afford to go through with this project. This would have spared us the long process of getting drawings done and permits approved. If I had known earlier that it was going to cost me almost $40k to fix my foundation I would have immediately stopped the project. When I was finally informed of the price I was forced to cancel my project.

In summary, It was the end of October when I cancelled and I was left with winter quickly approaching and nobody to repair the gaping holes in my foundation. I asked for my deposit of $2000 to be returned ***** *********** ********* ******************************************** ************************ a******************************************************************** *****************. Finally after having to mention I was going to take them to small claims court I was issued a refund of only $575. They kept $1425 and claim that it is for "drawings and administration fees." ******************************************************** Not only have a lost a large chunk of my deposit, I've lost 7 months momentum on my project due to their negligence.

I'm hoping that I can count on the BBB for their assistance in recuperating the remainder of my deposit.

******* **********

I would like the BBB to assist me in recuperating the rest of my deposit ($1425). I am not comfortable paying for drawings that I will not use. If I would have known it would cost nearly 40k for Abalon to fix my foundation I would have rejected their quote and no drawings would have been made.

Our Estimator originally quoted to replace 35 lineal feet(dated April 30/15) of foundation wall which had to be approved by a Engineer. The Engineer at that time said that additional wall replacement was required. The estimator was told that monies were not in the budget by the customer. He then suggested that maybe the wall(s) could be braced only gave a quote for bracing which again the Engineer said that he would not recommend. He then said the only option was to again replace 62 feet of foundation wall. Customer wanted drawing so she could get permit. Engineer did drawing and customer applied for permit. When asked customer said financing in place. City of Wpg.then would not give permit until Engineer supplied drawings for Excavation and how building would be shored. This was done because building deemed Commercial.(rooming house) Customer called engineer and said to get drawings and bill Abalon . Homeowner received a permit with drawings but without price for scope of work. The Customer used estimate for shoring only which was not approved by the Engineer.. Our estimator gave quote for work. Customer said price was too high and wanted the deposit returned. Abalon called Engineer received invoice from Engineer for shoring drawings. Customer said she wanted all her deposit back and she would pay Engineer. Abalon already paid $700.00(first drawings and sent another $700.00 for second drawing. A minimal amount of $25.00 was charged for (administration). I believe the customer must have had an idea of the cost as it was more than double the work with the additional excavation and shoring. Having talked to the Engineer he has said this work should be done and the Drawings are only a benefit to the customer.

The fact of the matter is that when I went ahead with ******** drawings I was told that 35 feet of wall needed to be replaced and the foundation repair would cost $20,050.00. Abalon's estimator also said the drawings would be around $300.

It was only after I went through the hassle of getting the permit and drawings that Abalon finally told me that 62 feet of wall needed to be replaced and it would cost nearly 40K. Then they stuck me with a bill of $1400 for drawings plus their admin fee.

I've since hired another company to do the repair and we've had absolutely no use for ********** drawings. This was a waste of time and money that could have easily been avoided had Abalon communicated more clearly. I'd like the rest of my deposit returned to me.

As you mentioned I was told that the engineer would not recommend the original quote which was to brace the walls for $13,335.00 and that wall replacement would be needed. When I received your second quote of $20,050.00 I told your estimator I had to think about it for a few days as it was not in the original budget. Shortly afterward I decided to give the go ahead on this quote and have your structural engineer do the drawings. Your estimator said the cost of the drawings would be around $300. If you were aware that additional work needed to be done prior to having drawings made it was your responsibility to communicate that to me and you did not.

This will be my last reply to you. I can see that we're not getting anywhere debating this.
You've failed to offer any sort of resolution. If you're not going to return my deposit then I'll be taking you to court to recuperate my lost funds.

This is my final response. You were told that the quote to replace the 35ft would not be approved by the Engineer and an additional 27ft would have to be done.(as on the drawings).We then looked at bracing only which again the Engineer stated that the walls were in to bad of shape. You even asked me if I could talk to the Engineer to see if he could do less footage or change the scope. Which he wouldn't. If you wish to go to court we will be there and talking to the Engineer he will be there as well. We did refund the balance of your deposit minus the twenty-five dollars for admin fee and minus the Engineering fees that you requested. You stated that you would look after the Engineers bill. So I am not sure why you are asking us to pay for the engineering now. He has been paid on your behalf for the work he did on your property. You say I have failed to offer any sort of resolution. I find that difficult as we only charged twenty-five dollars.

12/04/2015Problems with Product / Service