BBB Accredited Business since 10/01/2007

B Herrera Construction

10/08/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Contracted B. Herrera Construction to do some remodel in the master bathroom. He was to remove the tile and replace with new sheet rock and tile provide by me. Instead of removing the tile around the shower enclosure, that was made out of concrete, he decide to tear it down. This was not discussed with me before the man broke it up. This he placed with 2 x 4's and 2 x 6's. He covered with concrete board and then installed the tile.First, less and six weeks later this "repair", that I was not told about till after to was done, is already falling apart.I called Mr. ******* on Monday May 19, 2014 at 6:08 p.m. where he stated he was finishing a job and would be out on Wednesday. On Wednesday he shows up and tell me he did a good job where I informed him his good job is falling a part. His fix at that time was to replace the tile that had broken and grout the area. I told him that was only going to hide the real problem and that was his replace of my concrete footing with wood. Again, he stated he did a good job.He said he would fix the whole area and I would have to have the shower encloser removed. I again informed him I paid to have it installed and his workmanship needed to be repaired so he would have to pay to have it removed. He wanted the number of the glass company that installed it which I provided for him. Said he would call me back but I to call him today where again he did a good job. I believe he thinks if he says it enough it will be true but it's not.The sheet rock he replaced behind the tile looks like a ten year old installed it. Big gaps between each piece. Because it was going to be covered with tile I let it go but now with the other problem with this job I am now questioning this also.

Repair the bad work that he installed.

Business Response /* ****** ** 2014/06/10) */
To Whom It May Concern:

I have been self-employed for more than 30 years and have been a Class A+ contractor with the Better Business Bureau for many years now. I have and I will always take pride in the type of work I continue to render to my clients and have never experienced any previous complaints with the BBB regarding my business.
I have received and reviewed the customer's issue and or dissatisfaction. The project and job was fulfilled and 100% completed and accepted by the client at the time of completion. Day one was removing all existing tile and dismantling the shower floor to install a new shower pan. While we were in the process of dismantling the shower floor, the "shower enclosure" as the client stated needed to be removed as well to install the new shower pan, which was part of my job. When the shower enclosure was ready to be installed again, "we discussed multiple times what kind of shower enclosure was going to be installed". I informed him that the shower enclosure could be either done by "solid brick" or by "wood studs covered with Dura Rock material". I advised him that the solid brick was the best choice in this remodel. At that time the customer refused my suggestion of using solid brick. The other alternative, which was given to him and the customer accepted, was to use wood studs covered with Dura rock material. The customer then said to me "he would accept wood if I would use concrete bolts to secure the enclosure", which was done and supervised and approved by him. This alternative which he selected is accepted and also done in many similar remodels as well as new homes and many contractors can attest to this. The job proceeded to tile installation and was completed without any damaged tiles. Moreover, the customer was present throughout our job site and very carefully scrutinized and supervised every detail of our work from day one. Even though our ability to carry out our job throughout the work site from day was challenging due to the customers' difficult attitude and detailed oriented approach, we were always ensuring I along with my employees attained his approval and satisfaction with every step, decision, and final look of the job. My workers and I felt unappreciated, but we kept our composure, utmost respect and our professionalism in completing this remodel that was done and complemented by him, which led to a complete payment.
Approximately six weeks later, I received a call by the client and followed up with a visit to his house where he showed the issue with the site. He stated that the shower enclosure was falling apart, but I could not verify that even though I was present and taking a closer look at the area. What I did see was a piece of tile that was broken and I offered to remove it and re-grout the damaged area at no cost, which again I made it known to him that was not damaged by my company. I explained to him that the shower enclosures are simply a preventive measure that functions as a barrier to keep water from spilling out of the shower. Shower enclosures are not shower steps. He stated to me that he steps on the shower enclosure upon entering and exiting the shower. There is no other logical explanation other then something falling and breaking the tile to cause a broken tile. He rudely made it known to me that he could do whatever he pleased in his own house and if he wanted to step on the shower enclosure he could do so because that was his house. My professional opinion that I gave to his was not meant to offend him or much less suggest what to do in his own home. A broken tile and re-grout was the solution for this problem, but the client refused and now has changed his mind to change the shower enclosure from wood and studs as he had chosen to previously to solid brick, which was my professional suggestion since the beginning of this project. To ensure customer satisfaction even upon completion of a job, I took it upon myself to contact the glass company that had installed the glass walls and doors that are sitting on top of the shower enclosure to talk about a solution of removing and re-installing the glass walls and doors. The glass company that was hired by the client shared with me that they also underwent many difficulties with this client from the beginning to the end and also mentioned how difficult and stressful it had been to work for this client. If the BBB wishes to contact this particular company they are ready and willing to discuss and answer any questions.
The contract was fulfilled with the satisfaction and approval of the customer as soon as the job was completed. A job well done and a satisfied client translate to a full payment stated on the contract and releases me of my duties and responsibilities. It is not my job or stated anywhere, for a job to be re-done because a customer changes his or her mind at the expense of the contractor.

Consumer Response /* ****** ** 2014/06/11) */
Again, the shower enclosure was standing on a concrete raised area, not associated with the shower floor but part of the floor itself. Instead of removing the tile they choose to knock down the concrete wall instead. This was done without asking or telling me before hand. He said the tile was hard to remove so they took the wall down
Not once did he mention using "brick". I said it needed to be concrete like what was there. I walked in to see him cutting and measuring 2x4's around this area. He stated this is how it is done. I told him then that he was giving me something less than what I had before.
I called him, less than 6 weeks after completion stating that we had a problem. He looked at the problem and stated he would fix the problem but all the time telling me what a good job he did. Again, nothing about him fixing it with brick was ever said. I did tell him it needed to be concrete and stating that I can't step on my shower is like saying I can't put my feet on the carpet. If it was concrete like he removed, again with out permission, there wouldn't be a problem. I guess he decided that he was not going to fix it when I told him I was not going to pay to have the shower enclosure remove and re=installed.
Since my first report to you the other side of the area is now falling apart. The shower door started hanging wrong. I called the glass people up to come and fix it. He told me the someone had to have moved the lower mounting bracket. I told him no one has moved it. He insisted the tile people had to have moved it. Again, I informed him the tile people did not move it. He said that he called by the tile people and when they didn't get back to him they were going to do it themselves. I again informed him that the tile people only looked at it (these people will submit their finding if asked).
The only answer that can account from this is that the fixed has moved. At the rate that it is falling apart I can only guess that I will have to remove the shower enclosure, not the raised portion, within the year to keep it from falling to the floor and breaking.
I welcome any professional to come and look at this problem. They will clearing see that it is not holding up.
The contract was filled and payment was paid because I did not foresee this falling apart within six weeks. I found it hard to believe that I'm still being told what a great job was done. It looks great but now falling apart.

Based on the customer's response, it seems like we are playing a back and forth game. Now, the customer is falsifying of what we initially agreed upon in order to complete the job. I informed the customer of what was to be done, gave him options, and he agreed upon the option that was chosen. It is my duty to complete the job to mine and my workers knowledge and ability. It is not my job to redo a job because a customer decides to change their mind. Based on my track record, I have never left a customer unsatisfied because my work has always been professional and impeccable. Due to the fact of customer being difficult to work with and rejecting our follow up to fix the real situation of the tile and to re-grout it is effortless to assume that the customer will never be satisfied with any job being done, and will be more than likely unsatisfied with any fixes. I have stated everything that needed to be said and it seems that the falsifying of information by the customer will continue. I repeat "the customer and I discussed more than once about the installation of the shower enclosure and what it is that he would want installed." He himself chose plywood covered with dutorock and even commented about making sure to put metal studs. Please reference the glass company that was hired by the customer to install the glass doors for the validity of the installation and services rendered.

Home Improvements, Construction & Remodeling Services, Roofing Contractors