Chicago and Northern Illinois

BBB Accredited Business since 05/01/2008

Guzman Landscaping Corp.

10/30/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

On Thursday 5/2/13 I was given an estimate in the amount of $680 by ******* from ****** Landscaping for having some work done at my home. We discussed having the weeds pulled, existing perennial plants thinned out, defining of a few landscapes areas, removal of a neighbors tree limb that was hanging onto my property and to have tree mulch installed in all landscaped beds.

At that time ******* and I had discussed on who could supply the free mulch, leading me to believe that the mulch that I would have delivered the following week was included in the quote, after walking my property and going over what was to be done, he had left and returned with a vague description of "Spring Cleanup" at the bottom of the estimate. I trusted him to be a man of his word.

On Saturday 5/4/13 Guzman Landscaping showed up at my home at 11:00 am unexpectedly, I was under the impression that they would start the following week after the mulch would be delivered. The first words that came out of *******'s mouth was do you have the first half of the money? So I wrote him a check in the amount of $350 to get the work started.

At 12 noon they left without notifying me, not knowing if they were done for the day I called a few times to find out they had gone to lunch. They finally came back an hour and half later, when they came back I had to go over a few areas that was not to my liking more than once. I could tell he was starting to get irritated so I left them alone to work. They said they were finished at 7:00 pm but it was getting dark so I really couldn't see very well.

I had asked ******* about a some of the plants that were not thinned out and the tree branch that wasn't removed. He said that he didn't want to cut the limb that we discussed when I was given the estimate because it was my neighbors tree. I told him that I had permission to cut it, but now he refused to do it. Instead of digging out the plants I wanted thinned out he just pulled off the leaves leaving the roots intact which will allow them to grow back in about a week. I gave him the second check in the amount of $330 trusting that the rest of the work was complete.

The following day when the light was sufficient I was very disappointed to find a lot of weeds and small tree saplings to still be in the landscape beds. I called my bank and put a stop payment on the second check in the amount of $330, I called Guzman Landscaping and left a voice mail message that I wasn't satisfied with the work and that a stop payment was issued only on the second check. A woman had called me back and told me that she would be issuing a mechanical lean on my home and taking me to court. I told her that the work performed wasn't to my satisfaction, I was mislead on the mulch installation and I would have in no way paid $680 just to have only some weeds pulled, that wasn't even done correctly. I informed her that they left out a whole landscape bed with weeds and overgrown plants and the tree limb that we initially discussed wasn't removed. She did not offer to have the crew return to complete the job correctly only insisting that there was an additional charge for the mulch installation. I could tell by her tone that I was not going to be able to continue the conversation in a mature manner so I told her to have at it. I believe they rushed to finish the work when it started to get dark which also did not allow me to scrutinize the work performed. On Monday and for a few days later, not wanting things to escalate I called and left repeated messages asking for them to come back and resolve the outstanding issues and then I would release the final check. I called at least 6 times leaving my number and name but no one had eturned my calls, leaving me with no alternative but to finish the work myself.

The company is now threatening to put a lien on my home. I need to have this stopped and let them take the initial check as payment in full as they never attempted to rectify the problem and I have since completed the work myself.

Id like to also state that it was impossible for them to put in 12 hours of work when they showed up at 11 am unexpetedly leaving an hour later for a hour and a half lunch dropping off the girl that came with ******* and his son, leaving just the two to finish the job. They then claimed that they had completed the work at 7pm when it was getting dark when the light insufficient.

How they recived an A plus rating is beyond me.

Mr. ***** was presented with a Spring Cleanup Contract per your website recommendation. On May 04, 2013 the contract was entered and as indicated per the contract, it did not include mulching. Mr. ***** was informed of this numerous times to which he indicated he would have the Village of Villa Park deliver his mulch. In addition, he was given notice that the mulching would require an additional contract at a cost of about $500USD if he provided the mulch himself.
Mr. ***** provided a deposit and another check after the completion of the contract work which was completed in 12 hours rather than the 8 hours estimated given his continuous intrusion during the workday. After frequent perimeter changes (despite our dissuasion to do so given the loss of aesthetics) , Mr. ***** returned with a spray can to make the final change of the edging of the flower beds. All the debris was removed from the beds and property.
He subsequently placed a stop payment on both those checks. Mr. ***** was contacted as to why he would not remit payment; he responded the mulch was never placed. After several phone calls and minutes explaining the legal obligations of a contract Mr. ***** was given an option to pay in full for the contract. He refused and was informed that both a Lien and Small Claims case would be placed on his property for failure of payment.
Mr. ***** scoffed he wanted us to pursue these legal actions. In July a Mechanic's Lien was placed on his property and now we will pursue with Small Claims.

Excluding the mulch misunderstanding the company did not resolve the outstanding issues that I had with the work performed. I would welcome a arbitration to these issues.

Landscape Contractors, Snow Removal Service, Brick Pavers, Lawn Maintenance, Landscape Designers