In Central Illinois

Sam Leman LLC

11 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 3 closed in last 12 months

04/21/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Improper or inferior repair

Complaint: Terrible service from the start. I had my tires replaced and oil changed both needed returned to the shop three times. Problem never resolved.
I purchased my car from Sam Leman in June of 2009. I was so excited to work with a sales person who was helpful and very personable. We ended up agreeing on a price that I was actually impressed with, little did I know what was coming. I purchased a moderate coverage for 3 years which was an additional $3000.00 on my loan amount. They also offered free oil changes for 12 months. Within one week of owning the vehicle there were problems with the brakes and alignment. I took it to them for repairs and was told that it was going to cost over $300.00 to fix. After hours of going back and forth and tears shed in the rude managers office we settled that they would pay 1/2, basically the labor. Within a month the brakes were bad again and I had them replaced by another shop due to prior experience. This February I had a tire blow out on the interstate and took my car on doughnut to their shop. Tire purchasing process was no problem, cost $700.00 out the door for all new tires. Within a week I had a tire sensor light come on and took my car back in due to a valve stem that wasn't installed correctly. They "fixed" the problem and sent me on my way. I took my car in a week later for the same problem and got an oil change while I was at it. It has been less than 3 weeks since both services were performed. My tire pressure light has come back on 3 times due to a leak in the front driver tire. The other 3 tires were over pressurized at 40 lbs when the specs in the book specifially say 32 lbs. My car is now leaking oil and never has in the past. When I called in to talk with the manager he was very rude and didn't give me the time of day. He said there was no point in me coming in to talk to him; he wasn't going to do anything for me. I've heard horror stories of terrible dealerships, but I feel like this should be illegal. Not only have they allowed me to leave the shop with a tire that was a danger to be driven on, but they are less than concerned or remorseful for their own shops terrible work. I want nothing more than to get what I pay for, 4 working tires for the $700.00 I spent replacing them as well as decent brakes for the $300.00 that cost. I've never felt so taken advantage of. I work for a company that does 100s of loans for Sam Leman and made it very clear I was shopping with them out of pure courtesy of that fact. They don't care anything about their customers or the vehicles, as long as they get their money they are content. Very distasteful customer service from everyone I've dealt with in management. The only person who has showed the least bit concern is the shop manager Matt and even he doesn't complete work as promised. I'll never go back.

Dear BBB,
We have received the complaint on Ms. ******. She did purchase a 2009 Subaru Legacy with 72,387 miles. The unit was sold "AS IS". A warranty was purchased for $2219 and also a maintenance package for $395.
Service records:
06/19/13 73128 miles: Two front rotors were replaced as part of a good will gesture to correct pulsation while braking. Wear and tear item not covered by warranty, dealership absorbed some of the cost which exceeded the "As Is" agreement.
02/11/14 82969 miles: Four new tires were installed per customer after a blow out.
02/25/14 83494 miles: Returned due to a low tire warning light. replaced faulty stem. Tire was only 3pounds low. Over inflated all 4 tires to help prevent warning light again due to driving or weather conditions.
03/05/14 84068 miles: Lube -Oil-Filter service performed.

As for the additional brake work that was performed by another shop, we can only assume it was not new rotors as they would still be under warranty from the last visit. Brakes are not covered as they are wear and tear items.
It should be assumed by anyone who purchases a used car that service work and issues may arise ike the oil leak that was mentioned. We would recommend that she have it inspected to see if the problem could be covered under her extended service plan.
Ms. ****** stated she has no desire to work with the Peoria store again, so we would invite her to visit one of our other service centers:
Sam Leman CJD in Morton
BMW of Peoria

She noted that she would be unwilling for us to make it right, yet does ask for a refund of the brake work. As stated earlier, if the work that she had done elsewhere involved the replacement of the two front rotors (unless damaged due to failure to replace pads in a timely manner), it may be possible to assist her in this area.

Sam Leman CJD
Peoria Illinois

08/27/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Failure to provide promised assistance or support for products or services

Complaint: Didn't contact insurance as stated. No reply to a request to a second key for the purchased car. Reply to filing of the transfer of plates.
I did not receive any calls in regard to my concerns. After my initial 2 phone calls about the 2nd key, I drove to the dealership. My insurance called in route stating they had not received information the sales staff stated they would handle for me. The operator/desk personal helped me with the insurance problem and told me the staff would contact me about the 2nd key. I have not received an answer and will purchase it elsewhere.
I have also received a letter from the Secretary of State telling me the paperwork for the transfer of plates was miss-filed. It seems the names needed to be modified by adding another name to the plate. I had to travel to the DMV to get the answers about the re-registration papers and the associated cost because I did not get a return call from the dealership questioning the paperwork. The DMV stated this happens frequently and they wish dealerships would learn to file the work properly. I have visited the dealership also over this issue and was assured they would get back with me. I called when they did not respond and was told they would call the beginning of the following week. I called at the end of the week and was told the same thing. It has now been 2 1/2 weeks and the DMV needs the plate properly registered. I must pay for the corrrected registration out of my pocket because of errors they made and lack of proper communication with me during and after the sale.

Dear BBB,
We appreciate bringing this matter to our attention. It seems that some of communication issues were due to the fact that the sales department was not available when the customer came to the dealership as they were holding an offsite event. It appears our office handled the insurance issue, but we have spoken to the salesman in question and covered his responsibilities on making our customers insurance carriers aware of changes.
We apologize for the registration issue and will cover the cost of the fees that our client had to incur to correct/amend.
The salesman was aware that the client had requested a second key, but stated that it was a used vehicle and that we may not have one available. He further stated he would check and follow up. It seems he may have failed to inform Mr. **** that we did not have a second set. Due to the lack of communication on his part, we also want to cover his expense for the key he purchased.
Please inform him to bring receipts from both the DMV and for the new key and we will re-emberse him for both.

He should ask for **** ******** (GSM. **** should be available Tue-Fri 10am-5pm.

Sam Leman Automotive

06/14/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Failure to respond to phone calls or written requests for assistance or support

Complaint: Bought suv and suv started to smoke very bad 12 hours later and did not run properly.
Bought suv on may 22nd. On may 23rd suv towed from my home. Dealersh service said I drive hemi v8 suv too hard and had to order parts and someone would call me. No one called me been without a car since may 23rd. Have not even finished all paperwork for vehicle.

Dear BBB,
Sorry for the delay in our response, but we wanted to make sure this complaint was handled before writing back to the BBB.We have repaired the issue and the vehicle was filled with fuel and is now back in the possession of Mr. ********. He seemed very satisfied with the outcome.
His vehicle has a high performance engine that when under pressure tends to break a hose as stated. This hose is a 2 piece part that creates a weak point in the coolant system (this was a design via the manufacturer). We have found a one piece part from aa supplier that is an excellent replacement and should solve any future issues.
It took a little longer to secure the part, but we felt Mr. ******** would be more satisfied with a better component. The new component is stronger and the one piece design helps remove the weak point in the cooling system.
We appreciate the BBB's involvement with this complaint.
Sam Leman Automotive Group

I am satisfied that after a week I received my vehicle back. I would like the dealership to provide an invoice of the work done with also the engine coolant filled to proper levels. They did replace the part, but did not fill the coolant to factory levels as it leaked when the previous part broke.

Dear BBB,
Please instruct the customer to return to our dealership and ask for either **** ******** (GSM) or ***** ****** (Service Mgr.). They will provide the service invoice and also make sure the fluid level is correct. We appreciate your notifying us of this new issue.
Sam Leman Automotive Group

04/15/2013Advertising / Sales Issues
12/19/2011Advertising / Sales Issues
02/04/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Improper or inferior repair

Complaint: Purchased vehicle they agreed to fix but they didn't.
I test drove a car and informed the dealership it did not have heat. They agreed to repair it before I purchased it. Once I purchased it, there was still no heat. After taking it back a few times, all they keep doing is flushing it. They knew it needed a new heater core before it was purchased.

Dear BBB,
We appreciate bringing this matter to our attention. The unit in question was purchased "as is". The customer had concerns about the heat and we replaced the thermostat in the unit. The heat was blowing hot at delivery. The client then returned approximately a week later stating the car lost its heat again. The manager stated it was sold "as is", but agreed to look into the matter at no charge to the customer. We also provided a rental car while the unit was in the shop. We noted it may have a clogged heater core and agreed to clean it out to see if that would solve the issue. The manager again stated the car was sold "as is" and this would be the most he could do on this unit.
Sam Leman Automotive

"as is" after they agreed to fix it. I was told they would replace the heater core if the other didn't work. It was brought back in less than a week. When told it was fixed there was some heat but only if I ran the A/C max setting; none in defrost or heat. If I'd known it wasn't going to be repaired properly I wouldn't have bought the car. I found out from several people who had purchased cars from this businaess that they were not going back because of poor customer service. I don't expect them to do anything; after all, I signed the stupid paper. My fault there. So I'm stuck with a car with no heat, with 2 kids, in one of the worst winters ever. Thanks Sam Leman.

Complaint Resolution: BBB determined the company provided proper verification that indicated there was no obligation to resolve the issues of the complaint.

01/15/2013Problems with Product / Service