BBB Accredited Business since 02/02/2006

Career WebSchool

03/25/2016Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Sales personnel misrepresented how the proctored exam would be administered-was a decision making factor for me-turns out what they told me was a lie.
Called them on 1/15/16 to ask how the required proctored exam was handled. They said they provide a proctor in a local testing place for the course exam--not the state exam. I told them I preferred that as Kaplan's program required that I find my own proctor which didn't make sense to me. Since I am approaching the end of my course, they sent me an email advising me to find a proctor for the course exam--I have sent multiple emails and made calls to resolve this to no avail. This was a classic bait and switch--I would have gone with Kaplan-their program was better--the only reason I chose this provider was the proctor situation.

Provide a proctor asap as promised.

This issue has been resolved with Ms. *******. In researching the details of this case, it was found that communications to this student from Career WebSchool's manager had been going to Ms. *******'s spam folder. Additionally, a proctor was located for her and the school paid the proctoring fee. Her complaint regarding what was told to her by a sales team member was forwarded to the Sales Manager. However, Ms. ******* could not identify who she spoke with.

I have asked that they pull the phone records from the date (1/15/16) I spoke with the individual so that the person can be disciplined and prevented from misleading others.

10/17/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Product & False advertising of product. This company did not properly disclose all the necessary facts a student needs when signing up for the course
I purchased the 75 Hour New York Salespersons Qualifying Course online course in June of 2013 for $198.00. I started the course and realized their software, locks your computer, and makes it impossible to print off any notes. This was a hindrance on my learning. They give you a certain amount of time to complete the course but you are unable to print out the necessary notes that you paid for!

I tried to move forward with the course, and see if I was able to get through and learn the information with this hindrance in place. I realized I was not learning and it was not effective.

Nowhere listed in their policy or advertisement does it tell you that their software locks your computer system, and prevents the student from printing any necessary notes from the course that was purchased. The student must hand write everything out. This takes time and with a time limit they place on the course, this in essence is bad business and false advertising.

When signing up for an online course (which I have taken before) you are signing up for more convenience, and if the company prevents you from printing the necessary material, then they should indicate that when advertising the course.
If I would have known this information, I would have never purchased the course as not having the information accessible for me makes online learning ineffective.

Although the time frame passed for a refund, I requested a refund based on the above facts. The representative, ***** ******** was combative and unwilling to find a resolution. I informed her of the facts and I made every effort to try and work with the course, but because you guys were negligent in informing the students that you will be unable to print any of the online information you paid for, and you have to complete the course in a certain time frame, this has made my learning ineffective.

I requested a refund and was denied. I even paid an additional $350 and purchased the same Real Estate licensing course , but this time I will go in person to learn. This company did not properly disclose all the necessary facts a student will needs when signing up for their online course and therefore a refund should be issued.

Refund of $198.00

Ms. ******** purchased this course on 6/21/13. Upon registration, she would have received an email receipt that states that courses can be refunded 100% within 7 business days of purchase. Additionally, this information is in the course instruction page that is seen upon logging into the course and the school policy manual that is provided in the course documents as well. Ms. ******** actively worked on her course on 6/23, 6/24, 6/25, 6/27. 6/28, 7/1, and 7/8 and completed many lessons. If she had contacted us any time during this time frame, we would have refunded her course and more than likely even if it was a week or two out of the refund timeline. However, she purchased this course 3 and a half months ago and never contacted us until 10/1. While our system does prevent printing screens, it does not "lock up your computer". The issue at hand is not that we do not advertise that students can't print screens as there is no requirement to provide this information. The issue is that Ms. ******** is requesting a refund 3 months out of the refund policy time line. We try to work with all of customers to ensure satisfaction and do allow leeway on granting refunds. In this case, she had the opportunity to contact us and request a refund after working in the course, but did not until she had already registered for another course from an in-class provider.

Scholastic Prep Courses, Books & Materials, Schools - Academic - Colleges & Universities, Real Estate Schools