Auto Trim Design Net

Phone: (806) 359-3435Fax: ( ) 359-7301

12/04/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Back window scratched during window tinting. Business states it was already there before tinting.
On September 26, 2013, I dropped off my brand new 2014 Jeep ******** 4-door vehicle to have the windows tinted. This vehicle had less than 1,000 miles on it when dropped off. It had fifteen miles on the date of purchase. We had all of the windows tinted for $195.00 with a lifetime warranty provided. We picked up the vehicle right at closing, paid and went to get in the vehicle and noticed it was dirty. The business had let something drip down all the doors, the back left window tint had been cut too short. When we took it back the following Monday the secretary said they would take a black marker to the excess white to black it out. After windows cured I noticed the rear window had many scratches on it. I took the Jeep back to Auto Trim Design on October 8, 2013, to discuss the scratches on the back window. On October 9, 2013, they took the tint off the back window to determine if they scratched it or if it was a factory defect. They did take the left back panel off and re-tint to the right size. As for the scratches on the rear window, the company stated that after looking at it and driving my vehicle without my permission to a local dealer, in which the vehicle was not purchased, that it was a factory defect. I believe that they scratched my window with tools they used. Their story changed many times over the course of this debate. They stated that the tint would magnify the scratches. If they had noticed the scratches before tinting, why did the not contact me before continuing the job. I saw in many places on the back window razor blade marks and dust where someone was cleaning residue off of the window.In front of the store manager and technician I took their razor blade and made one scratch on the back window to show that it matched the rest of the scratches. They first said they do not use razor blades, but then they changed their story and said they do but they do not use them in the manner that would have scratched the window. I tried contacting the owner many times and to no avail he would never contact me. I dealt with the store manager who said the only thing they would do is pay $81.19 to have the back window re-tinted somewhere else. My wife and I thoroughly inspected the vehicle before we purchased it and we are confident the scratches were there after the tinting and not before.

I am seeking a replacement of the back glass with factory Mopar parts and tint.

As a family owned company, doing business in Amarillo for the past 31 years, it is always our goal to achieve complete customer satisfaction. However, we are unable to assume responsibility for pre-existing damage on a customer's vehicle.

We regret that Mr. ****** feels the way he does. There were scratches in the back glass of his Jeep that became noticeable after it was tinted. However, there is nothing we do in the process of cleaning or applying tint that would cause the type of scratches found on this vehicle. After we removed the tint from the back glass from the Jeep, we had the service manager at *********** look at the glass to see if the vehicle warranty would cover the scratched glass. He told us that the warranty would likely replace the glass, but that Mr. ****** should take it back to the dealer where he purchased the vehicle due to the way Jeep handles their glass warranties. The service manager did not feel that the glass was scratched when the tint was applied. Mr. ******, in an effort to prove we caused the scratches, took a razorblade scraper and dragged it backwards on the glass. This caused some scratches that he felt were similar to the other scratches. He then took the scraper and scraped the window, as one would normally do when using a scraper, damaging his defroster lines. We are aware that using a razor blade scraper will damage defroster lines on a back glass. Thus, we never use a razor blade to clean a back glass. We feel Mr. ****** proved that we did not use a razor blade scraper on his back glass, as the defroster lines were not damaged until he scraped it.

Sorry for the delay in response, but I have been doing some research with some Jeep dealers.
The defroster still works, the only issue is the scratches on the window. This was a brand new vehicle with no damage when taking to Auto Trim and Design for tinting. There were no scratches on the glass. If, as they claim, there were scratches, why did they not notify me prior to tinting? They claim tinting makes the scratches more visible. The response that they do not use anything in the process of cleaning or applying tint is inaccurate. I used their razor blade in a dragging motion to duplicate the scratches on my window. As stated in the company's response that I should return to my dealership for warranty service, any Jeep dealership can do warranty work on vehicles purchased from other dealers. So if *********** felt it was warranty work they should have been able to fix it. My dealership will verify there were no scratches on the vehicle and will also verify any dealer can do warranty work. I still want my back window replaced. Case unresolved.

Auto Services