BBB Accredited Business since 13/08/2010

Hostpapa Inc (Headquarters)

33 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 13 closed in last 12 months

05/18/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I purchased this website last year, and the build your own website app never worked for me. I paid full price for the website with hosting. This year I received a bill for double the price! When asked if I could pay this monthly, I was told that monthly payments are not available, even though on the website's home page it was advertised as low as $3.95 per month!!!!The website was never used, and I asked for my money back, and ******** refused to provide me with a refund, and told me that I was in the wrong, and it didn't matter to him or his company. I was told that his supervisor **** would not speak with me about it. I am very upset about this, therefore I am filling a complaint.
Product_Or_Service: ***************.ca

A full refund for last year, from having a website that was not used, and a release of the domain, valued at $15.95 (as determined by more reputable providers)

Hello Ms *******,

It is unfortunate you could not get your website built in the past year. We not only provide the website builder but also have many tutorial videos on our website that can assist you. However, upon reviewing your account history we do not have any tickets or notes that you contacted us with questions or assistance before now, except in March of this year requesting the sign up welcome email be resent. As for payment, our fees are advertised as how low the cost will be per month for the first year but we do not offer a monthly payment plan for shared hosting.

We are unable to refund you for a charge that was made 1 year ago. We are not web designers but a hosting provider. When you place an order, we allocate space on a server (as do all hosting providers) for you, in order that you may operate your website. When your order completed we did reserve and allocate that space on a server for the past year. As for your domain ***************.ca, it was registered and paid for 1 year at that time. This is a non-refundable fee as it is paid directly to the domain registrar to secure your domain. Here is a link to WHOIS confirming registration: https://whois.domaintools.com/***************.ca .

Your domain will expire on May 13, 2015. You are free to sign up with any hosting provider for a hosting package at any time and as well have your domain transferred to them. The domain transfer will need to be initiated by the new provider and is a quick and simple action. If you wish to stay with us, we can offer you the special introductory rate.

We do apologize that you were not able to speak to a supervisor and we will be looking into this along with your other comments. We are sorry to see you go as a client if you wish to leave but wish you success in your endeavours. Please let us know if you have any questions. Thank you.

04/29/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Over the last 2 years I have used Host Papa as our website hosting company. Recently, we decided to switch hosting companies due to the poor and inadequate customer service received from Host Papa and their team. The situation with Host Papa arose when I had realized a virus was attacking my website. I contacted Host Papa to inform them of this attack and was instructed to follow various steps to rectify the problem and did so successfully. It was after my frustrating experience with Host Papa's customer care that I decided to switch to a different company out of fear of ever having to encounter another issue with Host Papa. At this time I requested a cancelation of services and a refund as an automatic two year renewal had taken place on my credit card less than 30 days prior to the request. I received a email on April 10/2015 informing me that I would be contacted by the billing department. On April 14/2015 I received a email on steps to follow to proceed with a cancelation of services. I followed up with this email indicating I was also requesting a refund. During this phone call I was promoted to the Terms and Services page where a Host Papa agent attempted to direct me to the terms which stated a refund would not be issued. Unfortunately the agent failed to prove this statement. I then requested this be escalated to management. On April 21/2015 Manager *** K contacted me indicating that because it does not state in the terms in conditions that a refund will be issued to a renewal customer, they would not be issuing a refund. Manager *** K, then proceed to point out that Host Papa owes me nothing, all of the problems I have incurred are due to my own faults and there is nothing Host Papa is willing to do for me. I am not a website expert nor have a great understanding of web hosting. I have however, taken and made every attempt to comply with Host Papa's instructions and in return I have been mislead and misinformed by Host Papa and denied refund for a cancelled subscription.
Product_Or_Service: CA-Web Hosting/CA-Domain Privacy/CA-Domain Registe
Order_Number: N/A
Account_Number: Domain Name: *******

It is at my request that Host Papa acknowledge that it was never stated a refund cannot be issued to a renewal member requesting cancellation of their subscription. Host Papa has required me to pre-pay a two year service subscription that I have requested cancelation from. There is no where within their policies that states a refund can not be issued to renewal customers nor was I required to re-sign the service terms and conditions upon renewal. I am requesting a refund $243.79 CND. tax incluse

Hello Ms *******,

I have reviewed your ticket(s) and will address the issues you have presented.

I initially see that your website had been hacked. As your site is on a shared server, your account was suspended in order that the other sites on the server not become infected. I checked with both our tech department and system administrator to insure it was just your website that was hacked. I was able to confirm this was the case as no other sites on the server were affected. As you were advised, the hack was due to either an outdated script, etc. At that time it was recommended you move to a VPS account.

Once an account has been infected and suspended, for the protection of others it cannot be unsuspended. Normally, the account is reset and a new clean version of the website is loaded from a client's backup. The client is responsible to maintain a backup of their information for this specific reason. However, as an exception, a senior System Admin agent agreed to unsuspend your account, allowing you to clean your website, as you would be moving to a VPS service. This exception is not a matter of policy but to assist you but in return you must commit to a short 6 month term.

As you did not wish to commit to the term you wished not to proceed with the VPS. This service was cancelled and fully refunded. As well, our SA scanned your website (something else we normally do not do) to insure that there were no infected files. You website was now fully functional again.

At this point you had contacted us to cancel requesting a refund for your renewal. You had been a client with us for the past 2 years. Under our Terms of Service, which you agreed to upon signing up with us, your services will be automatically renewed on the credit card on file, which you provided, unless you submit a cancellation request 30 days prior to the renewal date. As you had not contacted us to cancel the services were renewed. Here is a link to our TOS and referral to specific sections applicable to you:

Sec. 8.8 Automatic Charging
Sec. 10.5 Renewals

In regards to your refund request, under Section 8.10 - 30 Day Guarantee of Hosting Service, it clearly states that this applies only to the initial signup date, which in your case was March 28, 2013. It does not apply to renewals as accounts are automatically renewed unless a cancellation is received 30 days prior to the renewal. In both cases, the domain registration is non-refundable as this fee is paid directly to the domain registrar, which was done immediately upon renewal.

Actually after reviewing everything it appears that many of our staff, including senior staff went above and beyond making exceptions to policy to try and assist you and get your website back on line. This included a refund in full to the VPS service that was setup, granting access to your infected website files and doing a scan for you to insure the malware had been completely removed. This has involved additional time and money on our part.

However, as a gesture of good faith we will agree to refund you for your hosting in full in the amount of $226.85. We are unable to refund the domain registration fee as that was already paid out to the domain registrar for the renewal of your domain.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you.

HostPapa Management

Thank you **** for responding to this complaint.

You are correct in stating that all of these issues did arise with my website, however the facts are completely misconstrued and falsified. Regardless of that, I am willing to live with Host Papas explanation of events in order to process my refund fro Host Papa.

I am willing to accept that the $16.94 will not be refunded and ACCEPT the refund of $226.85 for the 2 year subscription that I have cancelled. Refund should be made to credit card on file, following the cancelation of Host Papa services.

Best Regards,
******** *******

04/27/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

My VPS web server has been unresponsive now for nearly two days, contact support and nothing has happened. I am hosting clients websites.
I Have paid for 12 months service. On Friday night the server became unresponsive and stopped working. I reported it to Hostpapa support. It is now Sunday morning and the Webserver is still responsive and all mine and my clients website, emails are down. Not only is this losing them and myself money but is also having an impact on our SEO as ****** can't see the websites. If this is not rectified by Monday morning then my clients are going to have no emails or websites, how can a business run that way?
All I keep being told from Hostpapa support is that a senior tech will be looking at it shortly and to be patient.
I sorry but all patience has gone. I as a business have a good reputation for quality and service. Host papa are doing a good job to destroy that. They can't even give me a simple eta on completion of the work.

The web server to be working and websites to be available and emails to be working

Hello *****,

We apologize for the issue you have had and response delay. I immediately contacted our senior technical support agent to have him dig deeper and get this issue resolved as quickly as possible. Working with others he was able to resolve your issue and your websites appear to be functioning properly. He has emailed you with the details of the process which included rebuild your httpd.conf file.

Please let us know if you still have any issues and if you have any questions. In addition, I will be meeting with our support team to investigate any delay in getting your situation rectified in a more timely basis.

Thank you for choosing HostPapa.

HostPapa Management

I'm Sorry but as a responsible Hosting Provider nearly 5 days is unacceptable to leave a client with no access to web or email.

It is not only my accounts that were affected but also my clients.

On day 2 we setup another server and migrated our clients over from backups to a better hosting company.
We did this whole process quicker than you could alter a .htaccess file and reboot the server (which by the way is about 30 mins work)

Thanks to hostpapa I lost 2 clients.

As of the 9th April 2015 this account will be terminated and I would respectfully ask for a FULL refund or moneys that have been paid to you in advance.
Should you not do this, then I will instruct our legal team to go ahead with recovery of the money and also for damages for lost income and lost clients.

I will never be hosting with Hostpapa again.

Hello Mr. ******,

I apologize again for the issues. We will cancel your account as requested and will be refunding you for your VPS service which you paid for in January. Although there are 10 months remaining on your hosting package due to the recent issues, we will refund you in full. You have been contacted in this regard through the cancellation ticket.

We do appreciate your input on the issues. I have already met with the supervisors who in turn will be meeting with any staff involved.

The lack of response you received is not representative of our customer service but will will be reviewing all aspects not only with those involved but with our continual training.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if we can be of any assistance.

Best regards,

02/02/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

My account has been suspended due to hacking by a third party. Hostpapa will not allow me access to move the service elsewhere or remove the virus.
Just over a month ago my account was hacked and HostPapa suspended my business website and email account. After fixing it for me and helping me back it up it was restored.

Now the same thing has happened and again my account has been suspended. They will not fix it for me. They will not allow me access to remove the virus. They will not allow me access to my account to have another service host my account and domain. They will not allow me access to my emails to save them.

It has now been over 1 week where my business has been greatly affected and my only option for resolution is to delete my website and start fresh, without being able to save my emails for the last 4 years.

I have been declined a refund for the services that I am paying for and not recieving - a website online!

I am requesting:
(a) access to the Control Panel to move my services elsewhere where they have said they will remove the virus

OR

(b) have Hostpapa remove the virus as they did last month

AND

$55 - a prorated refund for website recovery and downtime

Hello *****,

I have read your complaint and reviewed your account and tickets. The compromising of your website has seemed to be an ongoing issue for some time now. We did check and it has been your account as our server has not been compromised.

Under our Terms of Service, which you agreed to upon signing up with us, when a website is hacked we are authorized to suspend the account (Sec. 6) for the safety of other clients on the shared server. Here is a link to our TOS: http://www.hostpapa.ca/terms/

As stated, when an account is hacked it is immediately suspended to protect the integrity of the other clients on the shared server. The course of action is to reset the account and have the client replace the infected files etc. with a new clean backup. We do not keep backups of client's accounts. Our TOS clearly states Sec 4.2 (g) YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE STORAGE, BACK-UP AND ARCHIVING OF YOUR CONTENT. As well, it is the responsibility of the client to keep plug-ins, scripts updated and be proactive by changing passwords *** regularly backing up your files. Here is a link to some knowledgebase articles from our website.

In mid November a senior supervisor made a rare exception and following a hack granted you access to retrieve your files and allow you to clean up the malware. It was clearly stated at the time that this was a onetime only access as it was jeopardizing other clients on the shared hosting server. As well at that time you were advised to do backups of your accounts and to also consider moving to a VPS. As well, you were advised at that time in Nov. that if the account was hacked again it would not be unsuspended under any circumstances.

Due to serious security issues, the only options are to reset your account OR you can purchase a VPS service where we can migrate your account as is and then you can remove the infected files.

Therefore, unless you move to a VPS access to your files is denied due to the security risk of the other clients on the shared server. We hope you will choose either one of these options but if you are dissatisfied and wish to cancel your services with us, we will credit you with any unused hosting remaining on your hosting plan.

Please let me know if you have any questions and if you agree to have your account reset or wish to move to VPS. Thank you.

Best regards,

01/19/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Our web site has been down for 5 days and counting and email service also not functioning correctly.
I first contacted them on Jan 9 2015 indication our web site is down and email is not functioning correctly. Customers have placed orders I can't get to and new orders can't be placed. I am locked out of our web site and can't make any changes or access anything.

Emails from 2013 and 2014 that had been download already have been downloaded again on computer and phone over 2700 of them.

This is costing us money and preventing us from delivering the lever of service we want to provide to our customers.

I have been told each day it would be fixed and 5 days later nothing has changed.

I have asked to speak with a manager and each time I'm told no I must talk to a call center person.

I want the problem fixed and an apology for all the trouble and extra work they have caused us.

I would like them to deliver the service I was promised.

Hello *****,

First of all let me apologize for the issues you had and the time it took to resolve. I have already spoken to the managers and will be reviewing your ticket in detail and discuss with all those involved.

It appears your issue has been resolved and you website is functioning normally. Is that correct? If you are having any issues at all please let me know and I will have a resolution expedited.

Once again thank you for bringing your issue to our attention as I assure you it will be dealt with. We do pride ourselves on our customer service but continually are looking for ways to improve our performance and training. As well, I will have billing add an additional 2 months of hosting to your account at no charge for your inconvenience.

Please let me know if you have any questions or require any further assistance. Thank you for choosing HostPapa.

HostPapa Management

Your customer service has not improved as other issue have come up and are not being dealt with in a timely manor. This is not the first time your company has been very slow to react and fix problems.

11/25/2013Problems with Product / Service