The mission of the BBB’s Educational Scholarship Program is to provide information and develop resources that promote and build awareness of ethical business practices and marketplace trust to consumers and businesses.
· This Ethics & Integrity Scholarship Program provides five $1,000 one-year, post-secondary scholarships to graduating high school seniors. Applicants must be employed by or be the child or grandchild of the owner or employees of an Accredited Business. For the purposes of this Scholarship Program a child is defined as a son, daughter, grandson or granddaughter.
· Be a high school senior, with a primary residence in Columbiana, Mahoning or Trumbull County.
· Have plans to attend a college, university, community college or trade school in the year immediately following high school graduation.
· The required materials must be postmarked or emailed by
May 5, 2017.
· Be available on June 15, 2017 to receive the scholarship award at the BBB’s Torch Award luncheon.
· Participate in a publicity program supporting the Scholarship Program.
Each applicant is required to submit the following:
· One 500-word essay or a four-minute video presentation about the meaning of “ethics” and “integrity” to the applicant.
· One recommendation from a school, community representative or employer providing examples of leadership and community service work and their recommendation for the student to receive the scholarship.
· High school GPA of 3.0 (most recent high school transcript with grades required)
BBB’s Executive Committee shall appoint a panel of five judges. This panel will be composed of three Board Directors and two BBB staff. Scholarships shall be awarded based on points awarded by the judges utilizing the following criteria: Leadership Skills: 15 points; Community Service: 15 points; Academic Achievement: 15 points: Essay; 55 points.
Five $1,000 one-year scholarships will be available for award. If entries are judged not to be of sufficiently high quality, as determined by the judges, scholarships may not be awarded. The institution that the awardee selects to attend must be accredited by a recognized accreditation organization.
The scholarship money:
· Will be sent directly to the institution that the recipient has been confirmed as attending.
· Must be used to pay for tuition and/or books and other educational materials.
If the student does not attend an institution in the year following the scholarship award, the scholarship award is forfeited by that student. The judging panel may direct the scholarship to be awarded to another applicant as selected by the judges.
Following the official announcement of the scholarship award, the recipient must provide BBB with information about the institution and a contact for verification.
Click here to download the Ethics & Integrity Scholarship Application.
201 East Commerce St.
Youngstown, Ohio 44503