Find us on Google+
Educational Consumer Tips

Legal Information and Help

Author: Better Business Bureau

LEGAL INFORMATION AND HELP If you need an attorney to advise or represent you, ask friends and family for recommendations. You can also contact the Lawyer Referral Service of your state, county, or city bar association listed in your local phone directory.Websters such as (American Bar Association),,, and may help you with answers to general legal questions. For information on state-specific legal questions, try the website of the National Association of Consumer Agency Administrators ( If you cannot afford a lawyer, you may qualify for free legal help from a Legal Aid or Legal Services Corporation (LSC) office. These offices generally offer legal assistance about such things as landlord-tenant relations, credit, utilities, family matters (e.g., divorce and adoption), foreclosure, home equity fraud, social security, welfare, unemployment, and worker compensation. If the Legal Aid office in your area does not handle your type of case, it may refer you to other local, state or national organizations that can provide help. To find the Legal Aid office nearest to you, check a local telephone directory or contact: National Legal Aid and Defender Association 1625 K Street, NW, 8th Floor Washington, DC 20006 Phone: 202-452-0620 Fax: 202-872-1031 To find the LSC office nearest you, check a local telephone directory or contact: LSC Public Affairs 3333 K St., NW, 3rd Floor Washington, DC 20007 Phone: 202-295-1500 Fax: 202-337-6797 Free assistance may be also be available from a law school program where students, supervised by attorneys, handle a variety of legal matters. Some of these programs are open to all. Others limit their service to specific groups, such as senior citizens or low-income persons. Contact a law school in your area to find out if such a program is available. Beware: Recovery Services A scam artist has taken your money. Don be scammed again by a recovery service offering to get your money back for you. The service is just trying to take your last dime. There is no charge for filing a complaint with a government agency. For further information contact The Better Business Bureau at our toll free number 1-800-273-1002 or at our local number 414-847-6000.