As the summer months approach, it’s essential to make sure your air conditioning system is up and running smoothly. The best way to deal with air conditioning issues is to prevent them from occurring. With proper maintenance and care for your A/C unit, you may be able to avoid a broken system this summer. Before calling for service, troubleshoot a few basic things. Is your thermostat operating properly? Has the electrical breaker powering the unit tripped? Are the air intake screens or filters on your outside unit dirty or blocked and need to be cleaned? Sometimes there are minor, inexpensive things you can do yourself to alleviate a problem and avoid paying for a service call or repair.
Maintenance and Energy Saving Tips for Your HVAC System:
- Keep your system well maintained – Replace filters monthly, get a tune up yearly & do not block registers & return vents. Make sure the access panels are secure. The better shape your system is in, the more efficiently it will run.
- Keep a clean system - Use air conditioner cleaner to clean the coils on your unit; make sure the power is off when you do this. Clear the area around the air conditioning unit of debris to make sure the unit can pull enough air in. Have a technician clear the air conditioning drain yearly to avoid backup.
- Get a programmable thermostat - with this, you can save energy when you are away from home by setting the thermostat to increase or decrease temperatures as you please.
- Seal your heating and cooling ducts - the less air that escapes your home, the better!
- Optimize Efficiency - Make sure doors and windows are shut and properly sealed and use fans to supplement your air-conditioning in occupied rooms.
- Update old equipment - with newer, more energy efficient models to lower energy costs.
If you are in need of repairs for your current system or an installation for an entirely new system, an air conditioning contractor can help you with the job. Follow these BBB Tips on Hiring an Air Conditioning Contractor to help you find a license contractor you can Trust!