BBB® Torch Award Guidelines
Entries for the BBB® Torch Awards will be reviewed by a panel of judges.
The judges may request additional information from the company or business regarding any of the four judging criteria. BBB Accreditation is not a requirement. The company may not hold a "B" or lower rating with any BBB. If your company has been the object of major lawsuits, including class action suits, or government actions in the past three years, this information must be disclosed as part of your entry. Decisions of the judges are final.
1. Entries should include a two-page summary that:
a. explains why your firm merits being a Business Ethics Award winner;
b. highlights specific business and management practices relevant to the award; and
c. illustrates your firm’s commitment to fair and honest conduct in the marketplace;
d. provides your firm’s position regarding business integrity and ethical practices. This includes a formally adopted policy or mission statement.
2. Entries should be submitted on 8.5” x 11” paper, and the total entry is limited to a 2 inch, three-ring binder. Entries can be submitted electronically in PDF format or Word Document Format to firstname.lastname@example.org. Entry Deadline has been extended to October 15th, 2017!
3. Use tabs to separate the binder into 4 sections corresponding to the judging criteria, and include materials (mission statement, company communications, and publications, news media articles, company advertising, letters of recognition or commendation, customer testimonials, etc.) that demonstrate your company’s strengths regarding each of the criteria. Sorry, however, video, DVD’s and CD media will not be reviewed by the judges.
4. Please retain a copy of your complete entry. All submitted entries become the property of the BBB serving Eastern Oklahoma and cannot be returned. If your business makes it to the semi-finalist stage, you will be required to forward three complete copies of your entry for the judges.
Semi-finalists will be selected in late October and finalists, and winners will be notified by email or phone no later than the end of October. Semi-finalists may be asked to provide the name and phone number of customers, vendors, and suppliers whom the judges may contact. Semi-finalists may also be called upon to allow representatives of the judging process to conduct a site visit of the company. To determine that a company is meeting their financial obligations, judges may obtain a Dun and Bradstreet report.
Please submit entries in English.
A company should demonstrate its commitment to high ethical standards of behavior and provide documentation in the following categories. Below are suggestions of areas to address. Not all areas are required for a company to compete.
1. Management Practices. (If you are the owner of the company, with no employees, explain how ethics are used in everyday business practices.)
2. Customer/ Vendor/ Supplier/ Shareholder Relations.
3. Marketing/ Advertising/Communications/ Sales Practices.
4. Reputation within Industry and Community.
Nominate a Business:
Do you know of an ethical business? Have you dealt with a local company you feel is deserving of a BBB Torch Award? Nominate a business, and we will contact the company to inform them of the entry process.
To Nominate, please email email@example.com with the company:
City, State & Zip
Your name and phone number in case we are unable to reach the company.