Identity Theft - File a Complaint

There are really two very different types of complaints involving identity theft. We'll describe them both, with information on what to do in each case.

If your complaint is about a legitimate business -- and your problem is that you are having trouble getting that business to correct your records or your billing as a result of an identity theft -- you should file a Better Business Bureau complaint against that legitimate business. Click here to file your complaint with the BBB. The U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC) also maintains an online complaint form to report identity theft. This database is accessible to law enforcement agencies around the country; you may also wish to file your complaint with the FTC, and you can do so by clicking here.

If your complaint is against the identity thief, it is unlikely that the BBB can assist you. We urge you to report the identity theft to the Federal Trade Commission. If you are a member of the United States Armed Forces, report your complaint here. Otherwise, report yourcomplaint to the Federal Trade Commission. Please note that the FTC does not attempt to resolve individual complaints. However, putting your complaint into that database may help law enforcement agencies across North America track down and punish the thief.

In either event, make absolutely certain you report the identity theft to your local police department as soon as possible after you first become aware you are a victim. Get a copy of the police report, which will help you in notifying your creditors and credit reporting agencies.