FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
BBB serving Central Virginia
Contact: Barry N. Moore, President & CEO
Try to Beat the Heat without Being Blown Hot Air
Richmond, VA- This year’s weather is expected to reach record highs. For some without air conditioning it might be the right time to invest in A/C or look at replacing a less energy efficient unit. “It’s extremely important to do thorough research on a business before hiring someone to come into your home” says Barry N. Moore, President & CEO.
This year alone BBB has received over 18,000 inquiries on HVAC companies. BBB serving Central Virginia recommends checking out your local Heating & Air Conditioning accredited businesses. These businesses have been carefully reviewed to determine the business’s license requirement and to insure those requirements are up to date.
BBB offers consumer tips to consider when thinking about hiring a contractor to install a new AC unit this summer:
* Do your research: You can search a HVAC company online at bbb.org and check with the local regulation agency to verify their license.
* Ask for multiple quotes: Don’t be afraid to shop around before selecting a bid. It’s important to remember a lower bid might not necessarily be the best; if one bid is extremely lower than the competition it may be a red flag the company is cutting corners. You can request a quote from an accredited business here.
* Get it in writing: Never begin any work until there is a written and signed contract. Your contract should include: a detailed description of the job, material costs, estimated beginning and end date to the project, warranty information if there is one, is specify on who is to obtain building permits, and payment arrangements. It is important to review a contract in full before signing and you should never feel pressured to sign a contract before you are ready and have done your research.
* Get a receipt: Make sure to get a receipt marked “paid in full” once the job is completed.
* Keep your documents: Even after the work is done make sure to keep your contract, any warranty information, or business contact information in case a problem or question arises in the future.
Other tips BBB offers for purchasing a new HVAC unit can be found here.
About BBB: BBB serving Central Virginia serves Richmond, the Tri-Cities, Charlottesville, and Fredericksburg, as well as 42 surrounding counties from Fauquier to Mecklenburg and Northumberland to Amherst. The nonprofit organization was established in 1954 to advance responsible, honest, and ethical business practices and to promote customer confidence through self-regulation of business. Core services of BBB include business profiles, dispute resolution, truth-in advertising, consumer and business education, and charity review.