Lumber Liquidators, Inc.
26 years in business
Headquarters3000 John Deere Road
Toano, VA 23168
Find a Location
BBB File Opened: 09/28/2004
Business Started: 05/02/1991
Business Incorporated: 11/19/1999 in MA
Type of EntityCorporation
- Mr. Dennis Knowles, CEO
- Amy Laine, Manager of Customer Service
- Floors - Hardwood
- Hardwood Floor Contractors
- Floor Materials - Retail
- In the aftermath of a piece airing on 60 minutes in March 2015, health concerns have been raised about allegedly high levels of formaldehyde in some specific laminate flooring that is manufactured in China and sold by Lumber Liquidators. In its repo...
- In the aftermath of a piece airing on 60 minutes in March 2015, health concerns have been raised about allegedly high levels of formaldehyde in some specific laminate flooring that is manufactured in China and sold by Lumber Liquidators. In its report, 60 minutes claimed that test results from certified labs, some of which were commissioned by attorneys representing parties that are suing Lumber Liquidators, demonstrating formaldehyde emission results that were purportedly in excess of levels set by the California Air Resources Board (CARB). Currently, California is the only state that has these formaldehyde emission guidelines. Lumber Liquidators maintains that its flooring products are safe and it has implemented controls throughout its supply chain designed to ensure compliance with all applicable regulatory and safety standards. Lumber Liquidators challenges the methodology used by the labs used the 60 Minutes piece and the interpretation of the test results. Among other things, Lumber Liquidators states that lab results cited in the 60 Minutes piece were determined using a "deconstructive testing" methodology which involves the removal of the laminate surface from the product in an effort to test the underlying composite wood platform. Thus, it does not measure a product according to how it is used by consumers and the interpretation of results using the deconstructive testing protocol is subject to significant debate. Further, Lumber Liquidators provided 60 Minutes with test results on the composite wood cores used on the construction of its products, which is the part of the product that CARB regulates, but such testing was not highlighted. It is Lumber Liquidators position that certain individual's interviewed in the 60 Minutes piece and making accusations against the Company have a financial interest in harming the Company. Such individuals included a hedge fund manager that is shorting Lumber Liquidators' stock and a lawyer representing a separate party that is also shorting Lumber Liquidators stock. These short-sellers make money when Lumber Liquidators stock price decrease. To reassure consumer that are concerned about the statement in the 60 Minutes report, Lumber Liquidators is providing indoor air quality testing at no cost to consumers who purchased and installed laminate flooring manufactured in China. The passive badge testing is administered by the consumer and the results are generated by an independent, American Industrial Hygiene Associated accredited lab and sent directly to the consumer. These tests do not identify the source of formaldehyde in consumer's homes and are not a substitute for a comprehensive, professional analysis of indoor air quality. The Company will use these results, however, as a tool to determine whether additional steps need to be taken with respect to each individual's flooring or indoor air quality. In such cases, the Company will work directly with the individual consumer to address any concerns.
- According to information provided by the company, the name "Lumber Liquidators" is registered and trademarked. The company started out as a merchandise liquidator, but are currently a retailer only of hardwood flooring.
- According to information provided by the company, Lumber Liquidators operates a chain of approximately 197 stores throughout the United States. All complaints for this company are processed by the Better Business Bureau of Greater Hampton Roads, Inc.