BBB offers tips to help you choose the right auto body repair shop
The average Mississippi driver, drives over 15,000 miles a year. Needless to say our vehicles are very important to us Mississippians. Our vehicle’s mechanical abilities are tested by the hot weather, hail storms and sometimes unfortunate accidents can happen. Better Business Bureau offers some advice the next time you're searching for a trustworthy body shop.
Over the past 12 months, almost 847,00 inquiries and over 2,200 complaints were filed with BBB about auto body repair shops across North America. Just last month the Mississippi Attorney General’s office published a consumer guide to “Insurance and Auto Body Repair” to give consumers information to help make a educated decisions.
When searching for a reliable body repair shop, your BBB offers these tips:
- Ask family and friends for recommendations. If they’re pleased with who they’ve used, you’ll likely to be too.
- Find a shop specializing in your make or model car. Shops that specialize in certain cars will have the latest training and equipment.
- Check your warranty. If your car is still under warranty, then auto body repairs most likely have to be done at an authorized dealership’s body shop.
- Get several quotes. Don’t settle for the lowest bid. It may not be the highest quality service. Also, don’t settle on an auto body repair shop because of convenience.
- Get everything in writing, including an itemized estimate of repairs.
- Ask if auto body repairs are guaranteed and get it in writing too.
- Tell the auto body repair shop to get your permission to make additional repairs.
- Look for an auto body repair shop that employs auto body repairers certified by the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) or are affiliated with other associations, such as the Society of Collision Repair Specialists.
- Ask the auto body repair shop employee to go over the work completed. Don’t be afraid to ask questions.