FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Vancouver, BC – We are still hoping that despite the continued rain that spring is, in fact, here. While lawns and yards don’t typically die off over the winter on the West Coast we still need to consider the health and appearance of our properties and who we might hire to look after them.
For some, it’s simply a matter of mowing and trimming. For others, now is the time to consider a large-scale adjustment to landscaping such as replacing an entire deck or adding a water feature. BBB serving Mainland B.C. has over one hundred landscaping and related companies ready to get your property in shape for the summer.
A lawn care service or landscaper can help give you the yard of your dreams. However, it’s important to pick the right company. Hiring the wrong company could turn your dream landscape into a nightmare.
Better Business Bureau serving Mainland B.C. advises consumers to get clear, written expectations for the services the company will provide and agree on a fee before work starts.
• Know what you want. Lawn care and landscaping companies provide many services, so it is important to decide what services and products are appropriate for your needs and budget. Carefully consider and outline what you want the yard, patio or deck to look like when the job is complete.
• Ask around. Ask friends and family what lawn care companies they use. If you’re considering a major project like a deck or patio, ask friends if you can see their projects and ask how it was to work with the contractor.
• Check bbb.org. BBB Business Profiles and Customer Reviews provide important background on businesses, such as how long they’ve been in business, who owns them, how they resolve complaints, and what other consumers have experienced.
• Ask for a lawn inspection and free estimate. Lawn care companies that quote a price without seeing your lawn cannot be sure what you need. A landscaper will need to measure the area where the patio or deck will go and consider access to the yard. Quality companies will offer an estimate only after they see what they are working with.
• Request a written contract. A contract should clearly state the services you will receive, as well as payment arrangements. If you are contracting for a recurring service, it should state how often the company will service your lawn and when you will be billed.
• Remember the rule of thirds. If you’re getting a new patio, deck or major landscaping, consider paying a third of the contract amount to secure the contract, a third when the work is half done and the final third only after the job is completed and you are satisfied with the work.
Evan Kelly, Senior Communications Advisor
BBB Serving Mainland BC
404-788 Beatty Street
For more than 100 years, Better Business Bureau has been helping people find businesses and brands they can trust. In 2016, people turned to BBB more than 365 million times for BBB Business Reviews, all available for free at bbb.org. BBB Serving Mainland B.C., founded in 1939 and serving the Lower Mainland, Thompson-Okanagan, Northern, Central and Southern Interior BC, and the Yukon, is one of 108 local, independent BBBs across North America. In 2016, consumers turned to BBB Serving Mainland B.C. more than 2 million times for Business Reviews and processed 6,000 complaints.