Educational Consumer Tips
Author: Better Business Bureau
When considering hiring a contractor to perform home improvement work or other projects, your BBB suggests the following:
1) It is usually advisable to obtain at least two estimates for comparison.
2) Make sure each estimate is based on performing the same work and that the contractor will use equal quality materials.
3) Don't automatically accept the lowest bid, because it is more important to have a contractor who is reputable and will perform high quality work.
4) Obtain references and talk to other customers for whom the contractor has performed work, and consider visiting other jobs performed by the contractor to view the work firsthand.
5) Determine that the company has workers compensation and liability insurance coverage in the event of a problem or injury.
6) Remember: "MOST" contracts signed in the home for $25.00 or more may be cancelled in writing within three business days. Cancellation must be in writing to be legally effective.