2017 marks the sixth year of #GivingTuesday. It’s a global day of giving that’s powered by social media and collaboration. Following the shopping rushes of Black Friday, Small Business Saturday, and Cyber Monday, #GivingTuesday is often regarded as the start of the charitable season. More than 10,000 organizations worldwide are engaged in the day.
How to Talk to Children about Philanthropy
- The conversation counts. Talking to a child about giving makes them significantly more likely to give.
- Show and tell. Show your child an action of charity; then, help them understand why you did it.
- Start Young. Cultivating the habit of giving in childhood could have a life-long impact on them and, more importantly, those in need.
- Be a guide, not a boss. Let your child discover the causes they care about, and nurture their passion.
- We can all give. You don’t need to be a millionaire to make a difference. Offer time or skills, and your child can see there’s more to giving than just dollars and cents.
Total raised: $168 million total dollars raised
Social Media: 2, 399, 092 total social media engagements with #GivingTuesday
Gifts: There were 1.56 million total gifts
Amount spent: People spent on average $107.69 on gifts
Offline: 1 in 4 donated offline through cash, check or over-the-phone contributions
Global impact: 98+ countries and more than 40,000 nonprofits participated in #GivingTuesday
Giving Tuesday Tip
BBB Wise Giving Alliance PSA for Giving Tuesday
#GivingTuesday Podcast - Asha Curran, Chief Innovation Officer for 92Y