The BBB Education Foundation,
a 501(c)(3) organization was formed to:
• Promote intelligent, responsible and informed marketplace decisions by educating area consumers about wise buying and charitable giving practices;
• Provide consumer education information through electronic media, written materials, telephone, outreach efforts to the community-at-large and groups of residents most vulnerable to consumer fraud;
• Develop and implement educational programs to meet the needs of specific consumer groups;
• Educate the public on unfair and dishonest business practices and on timely consumer issues of significance;
• Develop and implement programs to promote ethical conduct and service excellence within the business community.
2012 BBB Educational Foundation Board of Directors:
• Marc Blumenthal, B & B Appliance
• Ella Fong, WVIZ/WCPN Ideastream
• Jeremy Gilman, Benesch Law
• Frank Navratil, John Carroll University
• Cary Root, ALG Computer Consulting & Training
• Barbara Rose, Public Director
• Jay Seaton, Apprisen Financial Advocates
• Sherrill Witt, Trolley Tours of Cleveland
Significant Program Achievements:
• The BBB Educational Foundation presented TeenSmart financial literacy workshops to 1,287 Cleveland Metropolitan School District students in 38 classes (in 16 different schools) and at two consumer awareness fairs.
• The Foundation’s Senior Awareness Initiative sent quarterly alerts to 552 senior centers and residential facilities. Surveys indicate the alerts were republished in over 178,000 newsletters and that most facilities post alerts on their bulletin boards and/or website, and provide copies to constituents. With financial help from Dominion, the Foundation updated and reprinted 15,000 copies of its brochure “Scams Against Seniors” (link this to brochure text) for area-wide distribution.
• Students from (list 4 high schools) were honored with Student of Integrity
Awards and scholarships at BBB’s December 6 2012, students from 44 area high schools were nominated by their schools and submitted entries.
Financial Summary (unaudited)
Total Income: $19,298
Total Expense: $22,102
Ending Net Assets: $53,615