Consumers facing financial difficulties have a lot of choices to make. Offers of "help" are everywhere -- in your mail box, plastered on billboards and promoted on the Internet. BBB has developed this foreclosure prevention tool-kit to provide tips, advice and links to sources that you can trust in this difficult time. Top BBB Tips for Homeowners Facing Foreclosure
- Contact your lender as soon as you realize that you may have a problem making your payments.
- Beware of unsolicited phone calls and mailers offering assistance for a fee.
- Be realistic about your financial situation and what resources are available to you.
- Remember that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Check out all offers before you sign, provide personal information or pay any money.
- Get help from trusted sources.
BBB Tips for Troubled Homeowners
Learn about Foreclosure Rescue Scams
Get More Money Now: How to Have Better Credit and More Money for Things That Matter
Learn to Avoid Predatory Lending
Tips on Credit Counseling
Real People, Real Stories Video
Check out a Business or Charity
Find a BBB Accredited Business or Charity
File a Complaint
Information for renters whose landlors are facing foreclosure
Your Money Now
Request a BBB Speaker for your organization