Marlborough, MA - The IRS impersonation scam is one of the most persistent cons out there. It reappears every few months, and this fall it's back with a vengeance. BBB has received numerous complaints about aggressive calls by fake IRS agents.
How the Scam Works:
You get a call from someone claiming to be from the IRS. In the most recent version of this scam, the "IRS agent" informs you that you are being sued for unpaid taxes. She/he may give you a fake badge number and name.
The "representative" tries to pressure you into paying a fee by using a prepaid debit card or wire transfer. If you don't pay up immediately, the "IRS agent" will sign a warrant for your arrest. No matter how much the caller threatens you, don't fall for it!
How to Spot an IRS Impostor Scam:
Here are some ways to spot a fake IRS agent.
- Be wary if you are being asked to act immediately. Scammers typically try to push you into action before you have had time to think. The IRS will give you the chance to question or appeal what you owe.
- The IRS doesn't call, text or email. The IRS won't call about payment or overdue taxes without first contacting you by mail.
- Don't wire money or use a prepaid debit card. Scammers often pressure people into wiring money or using a prepaid debit card. It's like sending cash: once it's gone, you can't trace it. The IRS says it will never demand immediate payment, require a specific form of payment, or ask for credit card or debt card numbers over the phone.
- If you owe taxes or you think you might, contact the IRS at 800.829.1040 or irs.gov. IRS employees at that line can help you with a payment issue, if there is an issue.
- If you know you don't owe taxes. Report the incident to the Department of the Treasury at 800-366-4484 or tigta.gov.
For More Information:
Check out the IRS website to learn more about scams and report suspicious activity.
To find out more about other scams, check out BBB's Scam Tracker.
ABOUT BBB: For more than 100 years, Better Business Bureau has been helping people find businesses and brands they can trust. In 2016, people turned to BBB more than 172 million times for BBB Business Reviews on more than 5.3 million businesses, all available for free at bbb.org.
The Council of Better Business Bureaus is the umbrella organization for the local, independent BBBs in the United States, Canada and Mexico, as well as home to its national and international programs on dispute resolution, advertising review, and industry self-regulation. BBB Serving Eastern Massachusetts, Maine, Rhode Island and Vermont was founded in 1920.
Paula Fleming is Chief Marketing & Sales Officer for Better Business Bureau Serving Eastern MA, ME, RI & VT. Find Paula on Google+