Your Better Business Bureau has been receiving calls about Platinum Protection, LLC, of Utah. The company is going door-to-door selling home security systems in the Youngstown area.
The consumers have told the BBB that salespeople are going door-to-door in the evening and offering the monitoring equipment for at no cost as an incentive for signing a contract for the monitoring service.
Platinum Protection, LLC has a BBB Grade of C+, which is on a scale of A+ to F. The C+ Grade is due to the length of time the company has been operating and consumer complaints. The BBB processed a total of 405 complaints about Platinum Protection, LLC in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period. Of the total of 405 complaints closed in 36 months, 181 were closed in the last year.
The BBB offers the following tips to consumers, before making a purchase from a door-to-door salesman:
- Ask for literature and take plenty of time to read it. Ask if the company has a local sales office with a published price list that includes the address and phone number of the company.
- Ask the representative what company will actually be providing the monitoring service. The company should tell the consumer if their company actually provides the service, or if they have a sub-contractor for the work.
- Contact your Better Business Bureau for a Business Review on the company.
- Don’t feel pressured to make a quick decision. A reputable professional will recognize that you need time to consider many factors when deciding to sign a contract.
- If you decide you don't want to purchase the product or system, the Federal Trade Commission’s Three-Day Cooling-Off Rule gives you three days to cancel purchases that are made in your home or at a location that is not the permanent place of business or local address of the seller. If you decide to cancel the contract, be sure to send the company a certified letter with notice of your contract cancellation.
- Installation of any product or system cannot be initiated until the Three-Day Cooling Off Rule has elapsed. The exception to this rule is if there is an emergency situation.
- NEVER pay with cash or give out banking information before checking out the company.
- Carefully read every document before you give your consent and be sure to keep a copy of the contract for your records.
- Ask to see a vendor’s permit. In Ohio, salespersons are required to have a state license or permit to sell products or services door-to-door. Ask to see the salesperson's vendor’s license.
- If you are currently under contract with another company for the same service, be sure to cancel the initial contract before signing a new contract.
For more information, please contact the Better Business Bureau at 330.744.3111 or youngstown.bbb.org.