Milwaukee, Wis., November 27, 2012 - As much as pet owners may want to take their furry or feathered friends with them wherever they go over the holidays, sometimes pets cannot come with. Finding a trustworthy kennel or pet care service becomes essential. The Better Business Bureau (BBB) has created a checklist to help pet owners choose a safe and reliable home-away-from-home for their pets.
“Many pets are viewed as family members. Having to leave them at home adds more stress during the holidays,” said Randall Hoth, Wisconsin BBB president/CEO. “Doing research before dropping off your pet will make you feel more confident that they will be well taken care of while you are away.”
When looking for a reliable kennel, the BBB recommends the following checklist:
- Check the kennel out with the BBB first to make sure they have a good track record for keeping customers satisfied at www.bbb.org.
- Consult friends, neighbors, veterinarian or local animal shelters for recommendations.
- Personally visit the facilities. Check for cleanliness and offensive odors, and note the overall safety of the kennel and cages.
- If your pet is prone to running away, ask about steps the kennel has taken to make their facilities escape-proof.
- Ask about how your pet may come in contact with other animals. Some kennels let animals play together while others keep them separate at all times.
- Ask about the feeding schedule, water accessibility and frequency of – or fees related to – exercise.
- Note the friendliness of staff members and how they interact with the other boarding pets. Ask about their background and experience.
- Make sure the facility requires that all entering pets have proof of immunization and ask about their policies regarding flea and tick control.
- Ask about the hours for drop off and pick up and make sure you understand their billing policy.
- Ask what happens in the case of a medical emergency or other unexpected situations.
For more advice on finding reputable businesses around the holidays, visit www.bbb.org