BBB Accredited Business since 01/01/2001

Champion Window Company of Wichita

4 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 3 closed in last 12 months

02/23/2016Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

they install damage roof on sun room and damage to bottom trim on north side.
on *********** sign a contract for a sun room, siding,doors,windows, and it has been most 5 mounth. the roof leak they sealed it 5 or 6 times. the sun room roof is damage they keep tell me they are waiting on parts. how long do you wait. I made a mistake I paid them in full.

The new roof and skirting on bottom of sun room needs replace and the damage bay window and trim on bottom of both bay windows and concrete on steps base and blinds.At no cost.

Contact Name and Title: ************ Division Mgr
Contact Phone: **********
Contact Email: *************************
I am the first to admit that my installers of the sun room did not do a perfect installation for the ******. As I have communicated with Mr. ****, the items that were damaged and not installed correctly will get fixed/replaced. The roof panels are on order and as soon as they arrive they will be swapped out. The new replacement bay window was installed last Saturday, ********. All of the materials needing replaced are custom made and it takes time. This has been continuously communicated to Mr. ****. As for being paid in full, that is not the case. Mr. **** still has an outstanding balance of $********. At my cost, I am putting new vertical blinds in the sun room for Mr. **** as an effort to ease him for his troubles, but that is only if Mr. **** does pay his bill in full. In addition, I am throwing in all new skirting around the base of his sun room at no cost to Mr. ****. His room and the workmanship is warrantied for 15 years.

To day is the ********** no call from Mr. ************. To tell use when the job can be done. If I read want Mr. ************ siad. The job would not be complete tell we paid the $********. There is they lost the Window for ********. I do not have the $********,and like I said they change from a gable roof to a studio roof and there should have been cheaper. How long is a coustomer to wait 5 month or longer.

We spoke this afternoon. The storm door is due to arrive early next week, and the blinds we are checking the status on. The insulated deck was traded as compensation for the gable roof.

************

All of the work has been completed for Mr. ****.

regards,

************
Division Manager

10/05/2015Problems with Product / Service
01/22/2016Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Poor workmanship and damage caused by the contractor and refusal to address the issues.
Paid $********* for siding, window and guttering. Very poor workmanship by the contractor hired by Champion. Damage caused by the contractor to doorbell, fencing on southside of house, ourside light fixture, sprinkler head, guttering, chimney cap, landscaping. Poor trim work. Irregular pieces of siding used on back side of house at top. Many other issues that have not been addressed in a list I have compiled. I also have photos. They have refused to address the issues even though I have a lifetime warranty. We should have been alerted when we found out that they used a contractor after the salesman, ************, told us to our specific question that they do not use contractors and have their own company employed installers. That answer affected our decision to go with them.

We want the damage repaired, the doorbell fixed and reimbursement of our expenditures that we paid to get some of the repairs done. We also want the poor workmanship issues addressed. Even the salesman, ************ and the Division Manager, ************, admitted that the work was not up to Champion standards yet neither of them worked to resolves the issues. They need to stand behind their promises and their warranty.

Contact Name and Title: ************ Division Mgr
Contact Phone: **********
Contact Email: *************************
This job was completed *******. We have tried multiple times to get the doorbell assessed and repaired if my crew was responsible and to no avail. Finally i communicated to the homeowner that he needs to get an independent, third-party electrician to assess the issue and if it is determined that it truly was caused by my crew that I would gladly handle the bill. We did address poor workmanship issues from window wraps, to caulking and trim work. As for landscaping, chimney cap (which blew off during the installation and the homeowner never made mention that he wanted a new one) the sprinkler head...all these issues are new to me.
As for the guttering. Let's be clear, the homeowner chose the color of the guttering of which only the front was contracted to be replaced. He did not like the color and he and his wife were going to paint it. To me that would have been unsafe. So, given all of the issues with my installer, I paid to have all NEW guttering and downspouts around the entire home...at NO cost to the homeowner (The MSRP on tat alone was $********)! Please homeowner, provide me with receipts to fix the doorbell, for the new sprinkler head, fence repair and landscape items damaged by my crew and I will gladly take care of any relative expenses that my crew was responsible for.

***

*** didn't bother to check their file. The chimney cap did not blow off "during installation". The crew failed to attach it before they left and it blew off in the middle of the night and woke us up and we found it on our deck. ****** promised us a new one because that one was mangled. He finally reinstalled the old one without telling us and explained later that he had straightened it out sufficiently. We wouldn't know since we cant climb up on the roof and check it out. The "free guttering" amounted to one 12' length installed on the south side of the house along the garage. WE paid for the guttering on the front which they got the color wrong on and the crew damaged the guttering along the back, the east side, in 3 places and *** agreed he would have to replace that guttering because of the ineptness of the crew. That wasn't "free guttering" That was replacement guttering for the damage THEY did to our old guttering. There was only ONE person who came out to check the doorbell and he was an employee of Champion who was not a certified electrician. He replaced the doorbell button and left without checking to see if the doorbell worked. It didn't. After calling numerous times to complain, they finally hired an electrician who called and set up an appointment so I stayed home for that and he never showed or called and did not return my calls for a week when he finally called to reschedule with no explanation for why he failed to show. When I complained about that he advised me he didn't care as this was a nuisance to him anyhow because he was busy with other more profitable jobs so I told him he was not welcome to come back to our house. *** knew about the sprinkler head, the fence post, the pond liner, the broken brick, the front window trim, etc. He knew everything because I personally gave him the typewritten list of all of the issues. ************ also got a copy of that list as well as ******* in Corporate. WE now have new issues which surfaced just recently but related to one of the issues on my list. The poorly installed siding at the top of the back of the house slipped down and popped loose. The shingles that covered the flashing around the base of the chimney were not tacked back down after the crew installed the siding on the north side of the chimney and a recent rain/windstorm blew water into the crawlspace between above our master bath and there are now water stains on the ceiling in our bathroom. Our insurance adjuster told us that it blew in either under the shingles or got up under the loose siding in the same area. The estimate did not exceed our deductible but just an example of the poor quality of work done by the crew. The adjuster was nice enough to nail down the shingles and tar the roofing nails and he popped the siding back into place. He said that it appeared that the installer failed to nail any fastener into the top part of the piece of siding to keep it from slipping down and popping out. Not surprising. No way of knowing how many times this crew did that all the way around the house. Time will tell. They did not address the issue of the top piece of trim on the window we had installed on the front of the house. ***** and *** both admitted that the trim in question was not installed properly. Still isn't since they did not replace it. I am willing to remove some of the less troublesome items from my list but the ones that still need addressed are; the window trim, door bell, light over the south side door into the garage, fence post, siding on the east side of the house at the top as noted earlier in this post, sprinkler head, trim at NE corner of house, broken brick, pond liner. *** knew about all of these items. He and I did a walk around and he had the list with him as did I. He didn't disagree with any of the items on the list and noted them himself when he saw them. I have photos of every single item listed. He even admitted to me that the work by the crew "was not up to Champion standards" and they would address that with the crew. I'd have to say that their attitude for the past 10 months also has not been up to Champion standards if they actually even have any standards. I have doubts about that, at least when it comes to the local office. It is just unfathomable to me that a crew could do the damage they did, knowing they did it and then hide the fact. I gave them explicit instructions on how to handle the fence on the south side where the post was too close to the wall to run the siding behind it. They were to shave off enough of the back side of that post to allow the siding to be installed behind it. They instead stopped at the post, went up and over the post and down the other side leaving the 4' space behind the post without any siding. When I pointed that out to them they then just sawed off the post and left my fence on the ground. As far as the window trim is concerned, ****** even admitted to me that it didn't look good and that he did not have much experience trimming out new window installs. He was right and it still looks bad. The cutting off of about 20' of expensive pond liner was another deliberate deviation from my request. I came out to the crew in the back yard when they were getting ready to install the siding on the east side and told the installer to please remove the pavers along the base of the wall and to pull the liner back and place the pavers on top of the liner to hold it into place. They clearly didn't like that idea and cut off about a 1' wide 20' long section of that liner. They removed the heavy PVC pipe I had around the sprinkler head at the NE corner but instead of unscrewing the sprinkler head, left it exposed and eventually one of them stepped on it and broke it off and just left it laying there. ****** admitted that one of his crew dropped a heavy tool on it and broke it but then they threw the brick away. That crew did not mention to me any of these things that they damaged. I found out after they left. *** did tell me to send him copies of receipts and he would "see about getting us reimbursed". Clearly I have little faith in their word to do anything they say they are going to do given the results so far after 10 months. I certainly wasn't going to pay a licensed electrician to come out and fix the door bell with any expectation that *** would pay me back the amount of money that would have cost us.
That's all I have to say for now. At this point it would be a bonus for us if Champion would just abide by the terms of their own agreements and even respond positively to half of the items. I'm not going to hold my breath.
Thank you BBB for allowing me this forum to air my complaints.
**************

As I have previously stated. I am more than happy to reimburse any expenses incurred due to our negligence. You can mail the receipts to the office here at *******************, *****************, Attn: ************

There is no value in making the BBB complaint page a social media complaint forum. It does serve a purpose, but by and large we should be able to handle these issues face to face. If you would like to meet in person, i can meet you at your residence and we can do another walk-around.

02/04/2016Problems with Product / Service

Windows - Installation & Service, Patio, Porch & Deck Enclosures, Siding Contractors, Doors, Sunroom & Solarium Design & Construction, Roofing Contractors, Windows, Windows - Egress, Windows - Wood, Storm Windows & Doors