BBB Accredited Business since 07/01/1985

Hall's Culligan Water (Headquarters)

17 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 8 closed in last 12 months

Additional Complaint Information

Hall's Culligan Water is headquartered in Wichita, Kansas with numerous locations throughout the United States. Complaints against any of their locations are centrally processed through BBB Serving The Kansas Plains, Nebraska, South Dakota and SW Iowa. Complaint volume listed above for the past 36 months is a nationwide total.

10/16/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Supplied us with two water bottles that leaked and caused damage to the office below us. Insurance company refused to pay and HQ won't either.
Back in *****, Culligan's delivery person came to our office and put a replacement water bottle on our top-down water cooling unit. Later that day, the landlord rushed up here telling us that it was leaking all over the hair salon below us, causing minor damage to the ceiling tile and wall. (Everything was fine before this new bottle, which was installed by their delivery person.)

A Culligan representative came out to take pictures and said his insurance company would handle everything. He also swapped out our previous unit with a bottom-up water cooling unit, which he promised couldn't leak because gravity was on our side.

Well, guess what...that unit/bottle leaked again!

We immediately canceled our contract with Culligan, which I was happy about, but the insurance company has refused to pay the small claim for damages. (They were also very rude to my employee and landlord during the process.) I called the local Culligan manager (who called the corporate office) and asked them to do the RIGHT thing and pay the small $*** repair bill, but they're refusing.

I'm confused how damages caused by their unit, with their water bottle, put on the unit by their delivery guy can possible be our fault?!

I don't care what type of contract I signed...dodging all responsibility for a product that is clearly faulty is just wrong.

A check for $*** made out to my landlord "*******************" to cover the water damage repairs to the hair salon below my office. (Can provide invoice with line item services if requested.)

The claim was filed and turned over to the insurance company and it was denied thru them. There were water bottles given at no charge to the customer and cooler rent was credited back along with the offer for additional rental credit. The account was cancelled at the customers request.

Yes, that is all factual. But that does not resolve the problem to my satisfaction.

The insurance company said you have ZERO responsibility once the unit is left in a building. But when your cooler and/or your bottle and/or your delivery person was responsible for the water leak happening just a few minutes after drop off, before any of us touched the unit, how is that fair? I do not want to be stuck with a repair bill for water damage when I literally did nothing.

You've written a contract and/or obtained insurance coverage that seems to relieve you of all responsibility for a faulty product. How is that fair?

I will be fully satisfied when I receive a check to my address made out to my landlord for the $*** repair bill.

In good faith we will be reimbursing ******************* for the repairs made in the amount of $***. When I receive the check, I will notify the customer and have it delivered to them.

09/26/2014Guarantee / Warranty Issues | Read Complaint Details

A faulty tank leaked and caused water damage and mold to our house. Culligan's insurance adjusters don't want to pay for the repairs.
I am ************** currently deployed to Afghanistan and I am writing this because I believe that Culligan is trying to take advantage of my wife as she struggles with my three children. She recently took them on a vacation and when she returned, she noticed that a leaky Culligan tank caused water damage and mold growth. She informed Culligan and talked to one of their insurance adjusters. The adjuster told her that there wasn't enough "evidence" for the company to repair the damage they did. Basically, this adjuster is trying to stick my wife with the bill. I am writing this complaint from Afghanistan because my wife is too stressed and upset with Culligan to do so herself. She is raising three kids ****************** all by herself while I am deployed and Culligan isn't standing by their guarantees. In the mean time, my family's health is in danger due to the growing mold caused by the Culligan leak. I want Culligan to fix this NOW! Especially since my families health is at risk from mold. I shouldn't have to write this from Afghanistan. They should be looking out for their customers and fix their mistakes.

I want Culligan to fix the water damage that their faulty tank has done to our house and to clean up all of the mold that is endangering my family's health.

Mrs. ***** and her family returned home from vacation on or around ****** and said they smelled a musty smell and they contacted ********************************* to come out. they placed blowers and heaters in the pantry on the following Wednesday to dry up the drywall on or about ******. Mrs. ***** contacted our office with a claim of a leak on ******* and we dispatched our driver only to find no leak at all. She called back the next day and we went out to take an investigation. We met with *************** and took pictures and then a report was submitted to our Risk Management at our corporate headquarters. We were told to refer to our insurance on this if/when the customer contacted us. ***************** is the company handling this specific claim and the rep's name is **** *******.

07/14/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Charged for Installation despite verbal, contract and work order all signifying there would not be any charge.
I contacted Culligan to inquire about water softener service. Appears Culligan referred us to your ****** location. Sales rep can out and we agreed to sign up for service. We were told there would not be any charge for installation, annotated it on the contract. Away he went. ******* contacted me immediately after to arrange the install. We received the work order which also annotates no charge for the install. Received our statement for the first time. I saw we were charged for rental install. I emailed with no response. Called twice and left messages. No response. Finally called the other day and spoke to accounting. Rep named ****** told me she looked at our file and said we were properly charged and we should not be getting installation waived any way. She said the sales rep shouldn't have to,d me I would. I said my contract does state it was to be free and so does the work order. She said she couldn't help me, I had to contact my sales rep. Told me to take another look at my contract. I the. Told her that we did not receive the salt that was suppose to be delivered on *****. She said sorry that wasever scheduled.

I want my money to be refunded for the install. And I am requesting to cancel this service and the contract, with no cancellation charge to us. I do not wish to continue on with a company that has such poor customer service. Non responsive, trying to rip me off on an installation charge and giving me the run around when I try to resolve issues. That is if I am lucky enough to get a hold of anyone!

Contact Name and Title: ***** *******- Office Mgr
Contact Email: ***********************
Customer received a refund for $***** to her Culligan account. I copy of this credit transaction was sent via email on ******. Customer is pleased and decided to continue doing business with our company.

I am sorry but at no time did I tell Ms. ******* that I was "pleased" nor that I would continue doing business. I spoke to Ms. ******* on Wednesday and expressed my disappointment with this company, the customer service and that I wanted a refund and to cancel service. Ms. ******* told me she was very sorry for the charge, would reverse it and that she wanted me to continue to remain a customer and would provide me with her direct contact info that day so that I could contact her if I had any futher issues. I expressed concern that I had already experienced more then enough negative "issues" with this company and had not even been with them for six months! She said this is why I am going to email you my direct contact info. She asked that I think it over and contact her after I received her email and let her know if I would like to remain with them. I never heard back from her, never received the email until today, after three attempts to contact her via phone for this info. Today, after receipt of her email I responded requesting to cancel my service, do not charge me any cancellation fee, send someone out on Monday ********* and that I was no longer willing to remain a customer with a company that treated their clients this way. I the WORST time trying to get anyone to reverse that incorrect charge applied to may account, their billing rep was rude and told me that I had to deal with their sales rep who never returned my calls and then I had to file a complaint in order to have anyone respond to my issue. Then, to see this response stating I am happy to remain a customer and since they were decent enough to honor their contract with me by finally crediting my Culligan account with the over charged funds outrages me further. I want a full refund back to my card or via a check to my home. Canx this service, pick up your equipment and do not even think of charging me any cancellation fee as the terms to our agreement were not adhered to in many ways. Why would I continue to happily pay this company my hard earned money when it is painfully obvious to me they could care less about me and my need for excellent customer service. I mean come on, you provide softener service. You don't really have to lift a finger to address your customers complaints. The least you can do is promplty return my calls, emails and provide me assistance with incorrect billings when I call. Ready to part ways.

Follow up to my complaint. ************ has refunded me for the charge of the install and has cancelled my service without charge. I appreciate the end result. I am now fully satisfied and have received what I was initially looking for. Thank you for your time.

06/23/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

One of the bottles of water has something in it that looks like a worm.
My account number is *******.
One of the bottles we received has something in it that looks like a worm or something worse(************). We called the company and received a rude response to the complaint. The representative said that she would have the manager call back. It's been a week with no manager call back. Took my daughter to the ER for vomiting and abdominal pain.

I can't put a monitory value on the psychological and physical damages, but they can start by refunding me the entire amount I've paid since I've been a loyal customer.

We sent the ********** (Route Operations Manager) out today and he spoke with Mrs. *****. He took pictures of the bottle and the cooler (which is owned by the customer). We saw the object in the bottle and told her that we would take the bottle and test it and see if we can't find out what the object was that was stuck on the inside of the bottle. She was happy with that and in the meantime, we dropped her off 4 cases of our packaged water at no charge so that her family has water to drink in the meantime. The bottle is now in the quality control supervisor's hands and he will have a lab analysis done to test for any kind of foreign matter. I told Mrs. ***** I would be back in touch with her as soon as I hear anything.

04/14/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

They never supplied us with salt per the rental agreement and then charged a fee for terminating rental agreement resulting from that.
Account: ******
Date: ******
Payment Method: ****************

Culligan of ****** on ********************* failed to provide us with adequate service on more than one occasion, including failure to deliver sodium chloride required for proper operation of the water softener. After I notified the office that I had to purchase my own to get it going, they told me that they would not deduct it from my account, even though it was supposed to be included per the rental agreement to begin with. Because Culligan did not perform per the agreement, I terminated the contract. Culligan stuck me with a $****** termination fee for terminating early when they were the ones that did not perform. The termination fee is not right considering I am not the one who did not perform. The only way to remove this is to concede the screw up and do the right thing.

Refund the $****** dollar termination fee that was improper, since the non performance of the agreement was avoidable by Culligan if they simply brought the sodium chloride that they were supposed to supply before I had to buy my own (per the agreement).

We have left a couple of messages for Mr.****** to return our call, so we can find a way to work out a resolution. We will continue to try to get in contact with Mr.******.

11/24/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Water Softner issue. Not getting Soft water everytime they change my tank. Because of this issue all of my taps has calcium deposits.
I was signed up for Soft water delivery in *************. Water was fine for 3 months. After 3 months I start having issues with my water and there was no soft water any more. Every time they change my tank I get bad water. Everytime I have to call them to change tanks and bring good tanks with good water. I have been charged $***** every month and I am getting very bad quality water. because of hard water all of my taps has calcium deposits. I am paying for good soft water. but I am not getting it.

Since ************ I got soft water only for 4 months and I want refund of money so that I can replace my taps.

On ********** we issued a credit in the amount of $***** due to the ongoing problem with the tank issue. Will follow up directly with the customer to make sure they are aware of the credit.

For last 6 months I am facing issue. talked to ****** 3 days ago and Hall's Culligan Water already have issued me credit for * months. I have paid them for Soft water and I did not receive soft water. So I am requesting at least * months of credit.

12/09/2014Problems with Product / Service

Water Soft & Conditioning Equipment Service & Supplies, Water Filtration & Purification Equipment, Water - Bottled & Bulk, Contractor - Water Conditioning, Water Coolers - Equipment & Supplies, Water Coolers, Salt