BBB Accredited Business since 05/28/2010

Decker & Mattison Company, Inc.

07/24/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Installation of new furnace system. Problems with installation and no city inspector sign off.

To Whom It May Concern,

I have made 2 attempts to contact you, once via email and once via a telephone message to ***** to ask when the final inspection on the system that was installed nearly a month ago was going to take place. No one has responded to my attempts at contact.
On the day of the installation, the inspector came out and did not pass the system. Your technician ****, told us that the inspector did not pass the installation and that he had additional work that needed to be done to make it pass. As far as I know, the additional work as performed that day and your technician told us that the inspector would be back later that same day. He then left the premise. No inspector has attempted to contact us to gain access to complete the final inspection. As of today, no one from your company has come back to verify the system was installed properly.
I am not satisfied with the work that was performed by your technician as there is still air leaking out of the front of the unit. I do not believe in good conscience that the unit would pass inspection if a inspector came to look at it today. As you may or not remember, we had to contact you multiple times, just to get the unit installed, as your salesman failed to set up the appointment with your foreman. After multiple times trying to contact your salesman via email and phone, we contacted your offices and spoke to Mr. ******** (the owner), at which time we were promised that because of our problems we would have the best crew the company had to come out and install the unit. I find it hard to believe that your best team would have a system fail inspection.
On the day of the inspection, two technicians showed up on site to complete the removal and install the new system. A short time after they arrived, one technician left the premise to complete work on another system that had issues leaving one technician to complete the work alone. During the installation I was required to help lift the old coil into place since it was not possible for the work to be done by one person alone. I wonder if I had not been home to help if the technician would have requested that my wife hold the coil up in the air while the new furnace was set under it and if so, how that would have worked or if the work would have been completed at all.
In one final attempt to make things right by me, I am sending you final payment via check to your offices, in hopes that you will make things right by sending someone out to finish the work. I request that you do not send out the same technician that was here before for obvious reasons.
I will be sending a copy of this letter to the City of ********** inspectors office as well as the Better Business Bureau along with copies of the email that was sent out nearly a month ago as I feel it is the only way to guarantee that the work will be finished properly and in a timely manner. I have enclosed a copy of the email sent to ***** nearly a month ago to you as well.
As the invoice includes the price of inspection, I would hope that you can get a technician and the inspector scheduled so that work can be completed. I expect to hear from someone at your office in the coming days. My contact information has been listed below.

Invoice #*******
***** ******
**********, *********

Verification by city inspector that the product was installed correctly per code. Air is still leaking out of the front of the cabinet where the tape joints did not connect, needs repaired.

the installation of the new furnace was completed on ************. the building official was out to inspect the installation on ************. this can be verified by calling ****** ****** with the city of ********** building inspection dept. at ************.

we have received no complaints from this consumer since the 1st day we worked on ************. on ************, the consumer told the licensed journeyman installer that he had an "issue" with the ductwork. the salesman immediately went to the job site and talked to Mr. ******* and he stated that "there was no issue". we had an issue with the ductwork and addressed that with the owner prior to installation, that being the ductboard plenum on top of the furnace and the owner stated that he did not want to replace the plenum. once the installation was started, we found water damage to the ductboard and at our expense, we replaced the front of the ductboard plenum with new prime grade galvanized iron.

this installation was for just a new furnace in the customers garage and no other ductwork was bid or replaced.

I consider this a frivolous complaint since the consumer made no contact with this company since the installation was completed and had no prior knowledge that the city of ********** building inspection dept. was at the job site for inspection and the inspection passed. I am demanding that this complaint be removed from our file and will request that the consumer contact us first before registering a complaint with the BBB.

Unfortunately, there are a number of incorrect statements in the response from ****** ********. A message was not left by voicemail. My wife called and spoke with ***** and explained that the job had not passed the inspection and that the inspector was supposed to have returned the afternoon the job was completed but had not. We did not overreact, we waited days before we phoned. ***** said that he would contact the inspector and that he or the inspector would call that day to tell us when the inspector would be by. After waiting again, an email was sent to ****** ******** and there was still no response. We were never told that they were coming back. The technician left and did not indicate that he had to return. He simply stated that the inspector would return that afternoon to re-inspect the job. He called the inspector and the inspector said he would be by later that day. If there had been any type of communication on behalf of ****** ******** stating that they themselves needed to come back or that they were running behind but would be coming back, we would have gladly accepted that. There was no communication whatsoever.

Regarding the statement that we were told to get a new gal. plenum at the time of the quote but refused is incorrect. That was never discussed. When the technician was installing the furnace, he was by himself as the other technician had left. He dropped the coil from the air conditioner, which landed on the top of the furnace and dented it. He was going to leave it like that but we asked if he could fix it. He tried to bend it back into shape but it is still slightly dented. When he was finishing the job, he had haphazardly taped and put back together the duckboard plenum and it was a mess. We said that we did not like the finished product and he called ***** the salesman to come and look. He admitted that it did not look good. We asked if it could be fixed or replaced with metal and he did not know so he asked the technician if it was possible to do and the technician replied yes. At that time and that time only was the replacement of the plenum discussed. I do not see how the salesman could have offered that to us at the time of the quote, when he had to ask the technician at the time of installation it was possible. They did replace that at their expense, because the job that the technician had done on the plenum was unsatisfactory not only to us but to the salesman as well.

After the technician left, there was air blowing out of the plenum and a half inch gap. When we got our air conditioner replaced this week, the technician from another company indicated that the plenum had not been installed properly and the seams were not joined. He fixed it when he replaced the air conditioner.

***** ******

the consumers first sentence in their first complaint stated that "I have made two attempts to contact you, once via e-mail and once via a telephone message to ***** to ask when the final inspection on the system that was installed nearly a month ago was going to take place." the second complaint states that we are the ones that are incorrect, a message was not left by voicemail, the wife called and spoke with *****. we are not the ones that are incorrect, we can only respond to their complaint as they themselves stated. ***** never once talked to the consumer on the phone once the installation was started.

I can do nothing about scheduling the building inspector nor have we ever had a complaint from a customer concerning the timely manner in which an inspection is done. the building inspector is an employee of the city of **********

the installation was not complete at the time the consumer made the complaint due to the high number of no cooling calls we were experiencing and most consumers would prefer to not do a final start-up on their new furnace when it is 100 degrees outside.

the consumer purchased a new air conditioner from another contractor and I am sure that when the new evaporator was installed all leaks in the plenum were sealed.

the final new start-up and inspection was completed on *************. the inspector passed the installation and I never heard word from my technician that the consumer was not satisfied.

it is time to close this complaint.

***** ********, pres.
decker & mattison co., inc.

Heating & Air Conditioning, Heating Contractors, Heating Equipment & Systems Cleaning & Repair, Air Conditioning Contractors & Systems, Air Conditioning Repair, Air conditioning & Heating Contractors - Commercial, Air conditioning & Heating Contractors - Residential, Geothermal Heating & Cooling