BBB Accredited Business since 07/20/2012

Midwest Kia

20 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 6 closed in last 12 months

03/03/2016Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I was not given a copy of my GAP contract at the time of vehicle purchase, contract was changed from the original and I believe my signature is forged
I purchased a *************** from Midwest Kia on *******. While in the finance office I opted to purchase the optional GAP contract by signing in a specific box on a "Retail Installment Sale Contract" form. In this box, it indicates the GAP contract would have a term of 84 months and that the name of the contract is "***********." In another place on this same form, the cost of the GAP is indicated as $***. This form is the only form I was given at the time of vehicle purchase that mentions anything about the GAP contract. I was never supplied a contract for the mentioned "***********" policy. On ***************, I paid off my loan for this vehicle (the loan was financed through the **************************). On ********, I visited Midwest Kia to inquire about cancelling my GAP contract and getting a refund for the unused portion. I was informed that the dealer administrates all GAP contracts in-house and that I just needed to fill out a form to cancel the policy. I completed the form while there and was told I should receive my refund in 8-10 weeks. After not hearing anything for 13 weeks, I again visited the dealer on *******. I was then informed they could not find my paperwork and that the gentleman that processed it no longer works there. In good faith, I again filled out the same form and was told by employee ***** that she would process the cancellation that same day, they would receive the refund from their insurance company on *******, and I would receive it shortly after that. On ******* I called and spoke with ****** who informed me that what ***** told me was not true and that my refund would not be received until in ********. At my insistence, she agreed to double-check that the cancellation was in process. On *******, ****** called and stated that I had purchased the GAP through ************************** (****) and that I would have to cancel it through them. I informed her that I had no knowledge of **** being involved; she then offered to fax me the GAP contract that "you signed." Upon receiving the fax, it immediately struck me as being a form that I had never seen before and the signature that is supposed to be mine instantly caught my attention as not being consistent with how I sign my name. I have reviewed all of the documents in my possession from the date I purchased the vehicle and have closely compared all the signatures--they are all consistent with the exception of the one on the GAP contract. I also note the signature is NOT dated and that the checkbox by "Yes, I elect to purchase the GAP Addendum..." is NOT checked. As a ****************, it is second nature for me to date everything I sign; had I signed that form I believe I would have certainly dated it. (As another point, I would like to ask if the dealer would have truly been able to produce this GAP Addendum form that is obviously at least a 4-part carbon copy form with the **** logo on it on the day I purchased the vehicle??) I did call **** and they referred me to the GAP Administrator who then referred me back to the dealer to process the cancellation. After multiple attempts to contact ****** without success, I returned to the dealer and reviewed the situation with a finance manager who took copies of the forms and said they would get back to me. I never heard back from him but did finally make contact with ****** who said she would talk to her general manager and that one of them would call me back. There was no return call so I called and made contact with manager *************** on ******. After telling him the story he informed me that ****** no longer works there but he will look into it and get back to me which he did--only to tell me there is nothing they can do. I then asked for documentation of when the GAP changed from "***********" to ****; he said "no problem" and that he would get it to me. On ******* I left a message for the finance office asking for the same documentation but have heard nothing from anyone.

I initially just wanted a refund of the unused portion of the GAP which would have been $****** but now, since the dealer has not attempted to resolve the situation after multiple attempts and extended patience on my part and has not been diligent about following up on my concerns, I desire a refund of the full amount I paid for the GAP Contract ($***) for the following additional reasons:
1. They have not provided documentation of the GAP contract for the company "***********" which is what is listed on my sales contract;
2. They have not provided documentation of when/how/why the GAP contract changed from "***********" to ************************** (****);
3. The GAP contract for **** has a signature that was not dated which leads to questions about the validity of the form;
4. The box on the **** GAP form stating that "Yes, I elect to purchase this GAP Addendum..." was not checked which makes it an incomplete form and leads to questions about the validity of the form;
5. The signature on the **** GAP form is NOT consistent with how I currently or have ever signed my name (I have had multiple people independently confirm that they agree) which lends itself to the possibility that a crime of forgery has been committed;
6. The **** GAP form indicates that refunds will not be made after 30 days but since I was never provided a copy of this contract I could not have known that and therefore do not believe I can be held to that. (Incidentally, I do not believe **** should be held liable either since they acted in good faith; I believe Midwest Kia is fully responsible for this situation and that it could have easily been prevented with full disclosure and full honesty on their part.)

We came to an agreement on the complaint and the resolution to the issues the customer had. The customer signed an agreement that he was satisfied with the solution offered.

After four months of effort on my part, I was ready to be done pursuing this issue and therefore gave in to their proposed settlement just so I could move on with my life. I learned some valuable life lessons from this whole experience and will certainly be a much smarter consumer in the future.

07/16/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

It has been 30 days since I traded in my vehicle for a new vehicle and has yet to be paid off due to neglect in the finance dept.
I purchased a new Kia **** on ****. I was not notified that my financing was denied until I went to Midwest Kia 4 days later to find out what had happened. I signed the new contract four days after the original purchase and was told that the new loan was approved and I only needed to provide proof of income, which was provided before I left. Since then I have tried to contact the dealership daily to see the status of the account since my trade had not been paid off. I finally went back to Midwest Kia on ********* to ask why the deal had not been finalized. The finance department then told me that the paperwork had not gone through because the tax information was incorrect. We signed new papers that day. When I arrived on ********* they had told me they would hand deliver a check for my past due amount (on the vehicle I traded) the next day, *********. They had also told me the new paperwork would be expedited and the payoff would be received by *********. I went back to Midwest Kia on ********* to inquire why the payoff had not been received and why the hand delivered check for the past due amount had also not been submitted, they could not provide any updates other than the information was "sent". Today *********, no funds or correspondence has been received from Midwest Kia. They have continually dodged my telephone calls and voice mails (I have left at least 20 to the finance department and finance director).

I will be seeking legal action for punitive damages to my credit score for negligence and breach of contract.

Hi ******,
I apologize that you have had difficulty with this purchase. I hope I can help.
As you know, your trade in has been paid off. Unfortunately, we cannot pay off a trade in until the deal for the purchase has been funded. I am not clear what delayed your funding but I understand you are concerned because it leaves you with a derogatory on your credit bureau for the late payment. I will reach out to that lender and ask for any assistance they might be able to give us.

Thank you for speaking with me, you have my contact information now, please let me know if you have any other concerns happen that I might be able to assist you with.

06/26/2014Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

trade in vehicle/ got new vehicle/2mths later financing fell through. now stuck with old vehicle and 3mth late payments cause midwest kia did not pay
********* went to midwest kia to trade in a vehicle.they knew from start bad credit, no down payment and very pregnant.they said everything is fine, ********* took home a vehicle left our trade in. ******** 2months later they called us saying bring car back financing fell through. they never told us we are waiting on financing...what they didnt tell us is that the trade in has not been payed off at all, they havent even been paying on it so now we have 3mths late payment(****) for the trade in they told us not to worry about..it has negatively effected our already low credit score... we have pay for re-registration back to trade in (******)switch insurance and pay higher again. ******** ****** in financing and general manager from midwest kia says we do this all the time we will take you to court and we will win.

i hope to speak to speak to a lawyer to see if this is legal. we have sales contracts and reciept saying they bought our trade in. no clause dependant on financing coming through. we want them to pay for trade in fully, or at least past due and registration.

Dear ****** ****,
I aplogize that we were not able to keep you in the **********. We have documents that you signed when going through the finance office that explain that we cannot make your trade in payoff until we are funded on the new loan and that the funding on the new loan is not guaranteed. Unfortunately we were not able to get a lender to fund this purchase. I understand that you had a job change during the process of finding the right lender and without job time the banks are less willing to fund a new loan.

As I explained to ***** ****, you will not have to re-register your trade in. The registration of your vehicle did not change.

Thank you for returning our vehicle on *********. Because of the damage to the fender that was not present when you took possession of ********** you had to forfeit your down payment.

The arrangement I spoke to you about concerning your lender on the **********, you have stated to me that you are "going a different route".

Thanks for shopping with Midwest Kia, I am sorry we were not able to complete a deal for you.

07/18/2016Problems with Product / Service
08/07/2015Advertising / Sales Issues
03/01/2016Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

No response when contacted for safety recall and maintenance under warranty
My husband and I purchased a Kia **** (VIN Number ***************** from Midwest Kia new in *********. It had hail damage and we were told at the time of sale that we could bring it in to have the hail damage repaired for free. We called for 5 months to set up and appointment and no one every called back. We eventually forgot about it. On *************, I took the **** in for a routine oil change at *****. The technician told me that the tires were off balance but since the car only had 9526 miles it would still be under warranty. That same day I received a notice regarding a safety recall so I called Midwest Kia to schedule both. I have yet to hear back from anyone. On ******, I emailed *************, Fixed Operations Manager at Midwest Kia regarding the issues. I have yet to hear back from him. On ******* I submitted an online message to the Kia Consumer Assistance Center (message confirmation ID is ********). Today is ******* and I have yet to hear back from anyone at Kia regarding my issues, meanwhile my husband is driving around with a recalled pinion plug on the accelerator pedal and unbalanced tires.

We would like to have the hail damage repaired that we were promised at the time of sale, the tires balanced, and the recalled pinion plug repaired/replaced.

Customer was contacted and brought in the vehicle for serviced on **********. The dealer performed 5 services and completed the service issues.

A representative from Kia did call to schedule an appointment for the recalled part to be fixed. He informed me they would check the tires but they probably didn't need balanced because ***** was just trying to up charge me. My response was if ***** was trying to up charge me, why did they tell me it would be covered under warranty from the dealer. They gained $0.00 from that. Furthermore, the dealer refused to do anything about the hail damage that was there when we bought the car and we were told would be fixed.
The recalled part was fixed and the tires were balanced but the hail damage was not fixed and I was told would not be fixed.

We have completed all required services to the vehicle and there is no documentation to support the repairing hail damage to the vehicle. We have meet the requirements and no other work will be done on this vehicle to repair hail damage.

10/26/2015Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Salesperson lied about almost everything we asked. Made promises that he did not deliver. Have not been able to get anyone to call us back.
Purchased a **** Kia ******* on ***********. The salesman refused to come down on the price of a fleet vehicle and instead, changed the payment schedule and the extent of the loan a few times to make the vehicle appear cheaper until we told him that we knew how to add and did not want a payment schedule that did not work in our budget, just honest answers about the price. They ended up giving us more for our trade to make up the difference. The salesman promised an extended warranty that was included in the sales price of the vehicle only for us to learn, once in the finance department, that the warranty that was promised could not be part of the deal. The man in the finance department attempted to sell us an additional warranty to cover our expectations but ended up giving us more for our trade to get the warranty that we had been promised.
We still have yet to receive the title so I can legally tag this vehicle. We also did not get a second copy of the key that was promised at the time of purchase. Instead, we were told by the salesman that he could get us a second key for about $** when we came to pick up the vehicle after it's inspection and cleaning. I have left a message for the salesman and for a general manager requesting this second key with no return call. I was able to easily reach someone in the parts department who assured us there was no way to obtain a second key without paying around $***-$*** dollars for it.

I expect to have a second key included in the purchase of the vehicle at no extra charge. I expect to have the title by means of certified letter no later than two weeks after the sales date so that the vehicle can be legally tagged. Since we are past that date, I expect to have the title within 3 business days. I expect to have honesty from a salesman about what I am purchasing and agreeing to.

The customer was contacted and received a second key and other concerns were addressed.

05/01/2015Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

This business never follows through with the promises they make to their customers and they waste people's valuable time. This is a ***** company!
I went to purchase a car back at the end of *************. I traded in an ********** & was given $**** off of my car loan. I gave them a $*** CASH down payment as well. They gave me a rental until my car was finish being detailed. Once I got the call to pick up the car they needed me to stay awhile & sign more papers because they lost my information. I left a $*** pair of sneakers in the rental car because I waited at least 5 hours for them to finish the deal. I called a few days later looking for my shoes and the manager **** tells me that he will look for them. A few weeks later they called me and asked me to come back down there (which is very far out of the way)and resign paper work because of their pricing errors. That's when they changed the ENTIRE pricing of the car and made my payments higher. I was desperate for a car so I signed the papers because it was only a $** difference with my payments. While I was there **** had me send him a picture of the missing shoes and proceeds to tell me when they get rentals back they hire a 3rd party company to clean the vehicles and insisted one of the guys (not with their company, of course) may have taken them. They are men size shoes and very nice. I was extremely upset and he said he was going to make it right. I advised him that they gave me a broken key and he told me he would set me up with service and I left with my new car. A week went by without hearing from them and I had left several voice messages on ******, *******, *******, ****, And ******* phones and no one returned my calls. Finally I get a hold of someone to set me up with service to get my key replaced. After waiting a few hours they finally gave me another rental and said they'd call when the re-keying was done. I picked up my car after work that day and the new key worked perfectly. They stopped me before leaving saying that they needed me to sign paper work AGAIN. By this time I became frustrated but proceeded to keep my cool. I told them I didn't have time that day and **** told me that was fine he would send someone up to my job on the next business day because I had to make 4 trips out to the company already. No one ever called or showed up. I called for 2 weeks trying to finalize my deal and no one knew what was going on. I was just trying to make my payments, mind you I had to purchase insurance for the vehicle for $*** that was costly for my budget but I worked with my insurance agent. Anywho, no one could give me information about what was going on with my car. On ********** my boss comes to tell me they are towing my car outside. I was furious. I asked the Tow guy and he said that he was just hired and didn't work with MWK. He said they couldn't get my loan to go through and he was sent to pick up the car. Midwest Kia never called me. They had my DIRECT work number and my personal cell. There was no reason why I could have not been notified. It was very embarrassing to bring that to my work place and strand me with NO transportation. I called and was put on the back burner (of course) because no one knew what was going on. Finally, someone calls me back and says that I can come pick up my car and my down payment check. I called the day I was supposed to go to CONFIRM everything was ready and they told me they couldn't find the keys. I called a few days later and he said that he found my old car keys and that he was drawing up the check and scheduled me to come in Tues *******. I called to make sure it was ready because I DID NOT want to spend any more time with those people. He assured my keys AND refund CHECK was READY to pick up. I drove out there and waited for 2 hours because they said they could not find the receipt for my down payment. Some new guy comes out and says he took over and that He's going to do everything he can to get my money back. He sent me home empty handed and said VERY RUDE comments about how he could have charged me for car mileage. I was so upset I just left. No one has called

I want to get everything I was promised. They had me in a car for 4 months and made me believe it was mine only to take it back and humiliated me in front of my co workers. I want my $*** down payment plus reimbursement for my $*** pair of ****************************** shoes as I was promised as well. I do not want to seek legal action but it has almost gotten to the point where they are taking advantage of my age and sex. I do not wish to keep dealing with them!

Hi *******,
Thanks for speaking with me.
I have absolutely no problem refunding a customer's down payment if they have a receipt. When you see $*** down payment written on a buyers agreement it is only showing a customers intent to make a down payment, it does not show that is has been done. I have researched your concern and I cannot locate where you paid $***. As we discussed, I would certainly take the time to search again if you would like to provide me with your bank record showing the date that you withdrew the $***, but without an actual receipt, I cannot guarantee a refund.
Unfortunately, we have no way of knowing what items are left in vehicles and I do not have a reimbursement for you concerning the shoes.
I apologize that you have had trouble with this transaction.
Please contact me by phone or by email if you would like to discuss further.
Thanks *******.

04/03/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Midwest Kia did not Honor the (we owe) agreement after the sale.
********** we purchased a car from Salesman ******* *******, and the sale went well and told the dealership manager and ******* that the sale went well and was pleased compared to other dealerships we had dealt with. The car had some issues ******* had told me the vehicle had hit a sign and that was the reason the headlight, windshield and ****** had a collision reported because of that accident and then ***** asked me what those repairs were worth to me if Midwest kia completed them, I said about *** dollars he said ok and we raised the sale price by *** dollars. We were issued a we owe document to replace the windshield, headlights left and right, visor, receive a 150 point inspection, clean/detail and replace brakes. This part was outside of ********* sale and I was dealing with *****. The sale was completed that day by signing a sales agreement, an odometer statement, and a transfer of title document. The dealership wouldn't sign the documents but had me sign, unusual but I did so anyway.
I called on the *************** ********* day off he said the car would be ready on Thursday because the mechanic was sick at the beginning of the week. We arrived on Thursday and was told the Windshield needed replacement and it would not be ready that day. ***** bought us gas for our trip back home while waiting I told ******* we would be looking for the headlight replacement on both sides because that was critical and headed home.

We went on Thursday ********** to pick the car up, still not ready. ***** said he had no control after a sale concerning service department. They brought the inspection sheet out for me to review. Looking at the check sheet that I paid extra for, I noticed it was completed the day the car was taken on trade not when we completed the deal. I paid for something that was already done, when ***** had inferred it had not been completed.
Finally the car is finished, I go out and inspect the vehicle and the passenger headlight was not replaced (when you drive at night due to them resurfacing, the light the beam is reflected up into the trees and not onto the road). I told ******* we both initialed by the agreed work and the tower signed off on it he remembered and went to talk to the tower (*****). ***** came down and said that ******* can't make those agreements and that we made those changes after the tower had signed (calling me a liar without doing so) this was not the case it was signed after ******* and I initialed the document because ******* took it back to the tower before he would sign and came back and signed along with me.

I pushed the issue with *****, stating the we owe said replace vice renew on the headlights, brakes pads and rotors all I wanted was the headlight. He said he had too much in the car and flat no, he was obviously upset. Knowing we would get no further with him or the we owe, I asked for a tank of gas( the car was bone dry from the day we test drove to time of pickup) again I was told no, we agreed on 5 gallons he disappeared we waited and waited finally someone asked us what was going on (sales Manager?) we got the fuel and left.
The only items that got fixed under we owe was 1 Visor, 1 windshield, 1 headlight and the brakes inspected and turned but not renewed as spelled out. All items remaining remain incomplete because ***** said he did not agree to the terms of sale. I lost ****** dollars on the we owe items not completed.
I was in the dealership twice after I sent an email similar to the one above. ***** would not acknowledge me either time. The second visit when I was talking to ******* and another salesman I mentioned to them that ***** was not acknowledging me when I entered the dealership, the second salesman asked him why, ***** told the salesman very briefly about the email, and said he had nothing to say to me. The salesman replied well "it's out in the open now" ***** left not saying a word to me. ***** (***** as his voicemail says)has not called back in 7 days.

Request ****** dollars be returned as the we owe was not completed.

Hello Mr. ********,
I have looked at your file and researched your concerns.
I do not find where you negotiated a price and then raised it $*** to cover the we owe items. I only find where you negotiated a price and then paid that price. Granted, I only see what is in writing, I was not there for any verbal discussions at the time of the sale.
I have looked at the service records and I find a repair order for the used vehicle inspection that was done before you purchased the *******, a repair order after delivery for work to be done from the we owe, and a third repair order where we addressed a check engine light concern for you. The third repair order for the check engine light was not in the we owe and yet we did not charge you for that repair. Midwest Kia spent almost $*** between the we owe work and the check engine light that came on after you took delivery. Further, the we owe was completed including "rotors will be fixed or replaced whatever it takes", we were able to resurface the rotors and they did not require replacing.
While we do appreciate your business Mr. ********, I am unable to return $*** to you.
Thank you for the letter.
***** ********

Thank you ****** for contacting me, as I have yet to ever hear back from the dealership manager *****. I knew this would happen after my final dealings with *****, it appears the deal he negotiated to increase the cost of the vehicle by *** dollars to cover the we owe was not documented in such a way to reflect those costs.

Even though we do not have the adjusted value, we do have an incomplete we owe document initialed by the salesman and myself and signed by the tower reflecting replace vice renew all items. To complete the we owe document it will exceed *** dollars and believe this is a fair monetary value. If your dealership would like to complete the items that would be acceptable. Again we would not be in this discussion if it were not for *****. I was willing to accept the renewed and not replaced on all items, if I had two working headlights but ***** was rude and implied I was a liar and I did not get 2 working headlights. ***** still ignores me when I am in the dealership and is unprofessional.

You are correct that a repair was completed after the sale, that repair was to have been completed prior to test driving and taking possession of the vehicle , it was not. You have a great maintenance team and have no issues or concerns and would return to have work completed by them again ****** is amazing and is the one of 2 professionals the other being my salesman, ***** appears to be the undoing in this sale .

Outstanding issues

My purchase agreement states sale is not final until satisfactory completion of the we owe. (Do you want the car back?)
I have unpaid repair bills under the 50/50 30 day ****** law ( was not an issue until now, but you owe ** percent of those bills)
***** never called back after repeated phone calls this is unprofessional.
I have yet to receive the title and final paperwork.

In summary taking the vehicle to ** and completing the we owe would be much greater than the *** dollars requested I asked ***** to help resolve this prior to contacting an attorney the bbb and motor vehicles. He cared so little after the sale he has yet to call or email me, nor talk to me when I was in the dealership and ***** continues to ignore me as well. This could have been resolved if Midwest kia had not dumped me after the sale.

Again were is the title?

Final Business Response /* (***0, 14, 2015/03/20) */
Hello again Mr. ********,
It was good to speak with you and find a mutually agreeable resolution for this matter.
The agreement between us to replace the other headlight instead of replacing the rotors (brakes) has already been addressed.
Thank you again. We appreciate your business.

02/09/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Was promised a check for first car payment
We went to go purchase my wife ******* ****** a new vehicle and to refinance mine back in ******** . After signing the contracts we where under the impression they where going to buy her present vehicle from her and then put her into a new one . As we where getting ready to leave they informed us we needed to take her car back to the dealer as a voluntary repossession . They never verbally said anything to us about this . We ended talking to there boss ***** ****** who said he wants to make it right . He informed me and my partner ******* ****** that he would make one of the first car payments so he didn't lose the deal . He then he a shooked our hand and he was going to pay the ********** payment of ******

We are just wanting was promised to us by ***** ******. He promised if we went through with the purchase of the two vehicles he would make first payment on one of our cars . Told him to make first payment on the ********** which was ****** he still has not honored that promise . He even shook mine and my partner ******* ******* hand on it to make it a done deal. We have been going around in circles with them . They should honor what they promise .

Hi ******,
Thanks to you and ******* for speaking with me.
I am happy to say that everything has been resolved. We always had planned on following through on making the payment as stated, but we cannot do that until your loan is approved and funded.
Please let me know if you have any other concerns that you might need me for.
Thank you, we appreciate your business.

Auto Dealers - New Cars, Auto Repair & Service, Auto Dealers - Used Cars