In Nebraska, South Dakota, The Kansas Plains and Southwest Iowa

Mel Hambelton Ford

11 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 4 closed in last 12 months

05/26/2014Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Unauthorized credit card charges

Complaint: Ran credit check without providing information or asking permission.
On *********, I made an appointment to get a test drive with Mr. *** of a ******************. During the test drive I informed him I had my own bank and would not need a credit check. I also said I was not looking to buy on that day as I was waiting for a substantial refund prior to signing any contracts. He said he even knew my loan officer personally. Once back inside his office, he asked how I would be able to buy his car today but I yet again informed him I could not buy today. He asked if he could do a trade appraisal at least to which I agreed and again reiterated that I would not be buying today. Mr. *** came back a few minutes later stating that he had run my credit report and said I had a *** credit rating. He also said he was able to pull up my current vehicle payoff amount. I told him that the trade in amount did not require my credit to be pulled nor did I ever give him my SSN nor Driver's Licence. He went and got a sales manager who wanted to discuss my trade in amount but when I said I was upset that my credit report was pulled without my knowledge or consent he said, "Oh well that won't hurt you too much." I told him that what he did was illegal to which he simply got up and left the room. Mr. *** came back in and said he assumed that I wanted the credit report pulled to which I said I repeatedly told him that I had my own financing and never authorized such a thing. I said I want my keys and to leave immediately as they were holding them away from me in the manager's office (a very deceptive trapping technique to keep me there longer). After waiting to get my keys back, I went out to the parking lot to find my current ****************** was still on and left in drive with the radio blaring. If I had waited a few more minutes then my car could have ended up rolling off and hitting something since it was left unattended in D. The dealership also promised me a gas card which I never received for making the trip out there which is a lie and falls under false advertising.

ADDITIONAL DETAILS:
Case is being handled by another organization: ***************

Mr.******* ****** came to Mel Hambelton Ford on *********. He had a 6:00 PM appointment with ***** *** interested in a ******************. Upon arriving at Mel Hambelton Ford Mr.*** greeted and took Mr.****** for a test drive. While on the test drive Mr.****** informed Mr.*** that he had been approved for *% interest rate at his credit union. Mr.*** responded back that we used several different banks and that we are competitive and often can get a better interest rate for the consumer. Mr.****** responded and I quote "If you can beat *% then more power to you". Upon arriving back at the dealership Mr.****** told Mr.*** that he would like to look at the numbers (trade difference, payments). Mr.****** having purchased a car in the past from Mel Hambelton Ford, Mr.*** went through and updated all of Mr.******* information (Name spelling, phone number, income and social security number). Mr.*** then presented a sales price, trade-in value as well as payments to Mr.******. Mr.*** then informed Mr.****** that the payment was based on a *% rate and that if he could get that rate at his bank that he recommended him do so because we probably couldn't obtain that for him. Mr.****** then started saying that he did not authorize us to pull his credit and he was not happy about his trade-in value and that he wanted more money for his trade. At that time one of our Managers (**** *****) went to talk to Mr.****** about his trade-in value. He then started telling Mr.***** that he wanted more money for his trade that he had just bought it last month for a lot more than we were appraising it for. Mr. ***** asked him what figure he had in mind and Mr. ****** said that he just wanted his keys. Mr.***** gave him his keys and Mr.****** left. Afterwards while trying to contact Mr.****** I spoke with Mr.******* *** and he notified me that he believes everything that I have said in regards to this letter.

Initial Consumer Rebuttal
There are a number of incorrect things in this response that quite concern me. The phrase "more power to you" is something that I would never say and I certainly did not say it then. It is a sarcastic and rude phrase in my personal opinion. I even emphasized that I had my own financing with **** through ******* which Mr. *** said he knew her personally. Second, the trade in value was not the issue here. Mr *** asked me to make sure my name and address were correct for purposes of "contacting me later" and never stated anything about a credit check nor was my SSN even mentioned nor given. I gave him my keys to get an appraisal on the vehicle and not to go run my credit. Under the FCRA you do not need need to pull a person's credit for just a trade appraisal. I was very adamant about not running my credit. He came in first with my trade in value and I asked if that the most they could do. He said he could see what he could do and then informed me of my credit score and said they he did not believe they could beat the *%. At that point I said again that I did not want my credit report run and he said that he would grab his manager. When **** came in he started by talking about the trade in value like that was my issue. I informed him that was not my issue but rather the illegal credit check. That is the point at which he said, "Oh well that won't hurt you too much." I reiterated that I did not want my credit report run and that what they did was illegal. At that point **** got up and said he would get Mr. ***. Mr. *** returned to the office and tried to talk about the trade in amount yet again and I said that was not the issue but the illegal credit report was and all I wanted was my keys and to leave. Mr. ***, and not ****, was the person who got my keys from the managers office and returned them to me after some time. It was upon getting outside that I found my car was still running and shifted into Drive.
On a separate note, contacting my First Shirt aka "***" without my knowledge was rather underhanded and in poor taste. I am handling things with him now though. Also, I said I had gotten a wonderful deal on my trade-in allowence many months prior and not one month prior. I have multiple documents to show that have had the car for about three months at this point. I know that a trade-in allowance will not equal what I paid for a car nor did I ever try to imply that I wanted what I paid. That is simply impossible.
Thank you for the response.

In addition to our initial response,in which everything and all stated prior too Mel Hambelton Ford stands behind as true and accurate. Since receiving Mr ******** BBB complaint, the General Manager of Mel Hambelton Ford has tried without success to contact Mr ****** in regards to achieving a fair resolution. In regards to calling Mr ******** "***", after Mr ****** notified Mel Hambelton Ford that the **************************** office was involved Mel Hambelton Ford then contacted his ****************.Mel Hambelton Ford does and has always supported the Armed Forces with the utmost respect and courtesy. So such complaint was not only a shock but took great priority to be handled swiftly and with great care. Unfortunately Mr. ****** is trying to take advantage of this misunderstanding by demanding such an unconscionable amount for his trade-in. Since this complaint was filed, Mel Hambelton Ford has been proactive and has taken action in contacting Trans Union which has been notified that with his assistance can permanently remove the inquiry in question. This inquiry which was made on Mr. ******** behalf and only after we updated all of Mr. ******** information (date of birth, social security number, address). Finally Mel Hambelton Ford is confident a swift conclusion can be reached if both parties involved act responsible and reasonable.

07/07/2014Advertising / Sales Issues
07/07/2014Problems with Product / Service
08/02/2013Advertising / Sales Issues
10/18/2012Advertising / Sales Issues
10/03/2012Problems with Product / Service
10/14/2011Problems with Product / Service
09/21/2011Problems with Product / Service

Auto Dealers - New Cars, Auto Service - Specialty Parts, Auto Repair & Service, Auto Dealers - Used Cars