BBB Accredited Business since 05/01/1995

Browning's Reliable Cars & Trucks

07/08/2015Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

My vehicle was reposed 6-16-15 by Browning's, their reason was bc I didn't have insurance even though agent faxed proof of insurance on the vehicle.
Tina with Brownings said the fax was sent but it didn't go through yesterday. And that we can get it out of tow for $225. She said even though I had insurance when they got my car that it doesn't matter to her, when I realized I wasn't getting anywhere with her I just said ok Tina, apparently my opinion nor my thoughts matter at this time, I'll be in contact. I'm not sure what else to do. My payments are caught up and I have the proper insurance on my car and Tina is convinced that it's ok that they took my vehicle. I'm a stay at home mother with 3 children ages 11 and under and I'm due anytime with my 4th child. I shouldn't be responsible for her mess up, she made the tow order without double checking the fax first.

I do not think it's fair that I should have to pay the tow fee of $225, that should be on browning's because I had insurance on the vehicle the day the issued the repo for it and my insurance agent ******************************************************************* faxed them proof of insurance at 4:47 pm on June 16, 2015.

My insurance lady wrote this statement, because she handles the insurance. The main thing I want to point out is the customer says we got a fax from the insurance company & we did not get a fax, the insurance company says they sent a fax but it did not go threw & I am sending proof of this. It was late in the day and I'm sure the insurance company thought it went threw but it did not get to us. As you can see by their journal it didn't. The insurance expired 6-14-15 at 12:01 AM. We tried very hard to get in touch the customers to get the insurance reinstated. At 6pm on 6-16-15 as far as we knew there was no insurance on the vehicle. We do not enjoy repossessing our customers vehicles. But we must protect our interest & theirs

(See attachments)

***Document Attached***
I contacted Tina on June 9th to update our new address since we had recently moved. My dad, not stepdad, was given our car payment money to take to them on June 12th, he told Tina that we were going to do our best to have insurance on by the end of the day bc we knew it expired that day bc Brady my husband had taken off work to take me to labor and delivery bc I was feeling sick, with us worried about our unborn child and my health bc I am a high risk pregnancy it unintentionally slipped our minds. By Tuesday morning Brady called our agent ************. My mom was in touch with Tina off and on through that day trying to keep her informed as in with the insurance, letting her know that it had been paid and was in full affect. Tina was very nasty with my mom and my mom called ************ who then called Brownings and spoke with a guy to get their fax number. He also reassured them that there was insurance on my vehicle before sending them the fax.

Please know that we understand that when the consumer had to pay a $225 repossession fee the pick up their that they were not happy about it. We never want a consumer to have to use there hard earned money to pay a repossession agent for their services when it is something that can be avoided. As a company we have policies that require us to have full coverage insurance in writing on all of our accounts. Just this company policy alone requires one full time employee. The employee responsible for this policy does everything possible to make sure each of our accounts are insured which includes many faxes, phone calls, and mailings. We do all these things to insure our consumers are covered as well as our collateral. Due to extreme losses that we have had written insurance coverage is a must and if not we must repossess the collateral. Repossession is an unfortunate part of the auto finance industry and is very last resort for us as a company. Please understand that neither we or the consumer profit from a repossession, only the recovery agent does. We hope that we can continue to have a good relationship with this consumer. I am sure that we will have no other issues with this account in the future. Our goal is to provide a consumer with good transportation as well as financing then to report their credit for them in hopes of improving their credit for future purchases.

04/08/2014Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

My car was repossessed for no reason. I had just made my payment and my insurance was current. My son paid $75 to get my car back. All about money.
3/15/2014. My car was repoed from my home after **** "thought" it had no insurance. Truth is it had current insurance and my payment was current. Browning's Reliable makes money by repossessing cars for no plausible reason and then charging the consumer for their mistake. "It's all about trust"? Really? Browning's Reliable is all about "Getting extra cash". **** from Browning's Reliable: "I'm sorry". Sorry? Really???

$75. My car was repossessed from my home with no reason. Payment was current. Insurance was current. I want repossession fees back for my son. I feel Browning's Reliable is all about the extra cash they can pocket.

In response to Mrs. ****'s complaint we can assure you that the last thing we want to do in our business in repossess a customer's vehicle. Our goal is to provide our customers with a reliable means of transportation while financing the collateral for them. We prefer to sell the vehicle, collect the contract, build the customer's credit, and hope to retain their business for the future.

Mrs. **** mentioned that we repossessed her car for no reason when in fact we did not have proof of full coverage insurance which is default and reason for repossession. As with any repossession we always try to contact the customer prior to assigning the repossession but was unable to since the numbers we had were not current.

As for the repossession fee, we are required by law not to charge any more to the creditor than we are charged by the repossession agent. I have attached a copy of the repossession invoice as well as the check stub showing what we paid the repossession agent. This record is common practice for us to prove our case in a situation such as this one.

Please review the attached sheets that include parts of our agreement with Mrs. **** in regards to her insurance and repossession as well as a statement from **** ******** which oversees our customer's insurance policies.
****** ********