In Alaska, Oregon & Western Washington

BBB Accredited Business since 07/01/1987

Aqua Quip

12/02/2013Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Unauthorized credit card charges

Complaint: I was trying to do a full pool maintenance and got quote from this company and another local company. They gave me an estimate of $500-$600 range so I choose them. Their workers came couple of times and told me that I need to have my sand filter replaced so that they could do the cleaning job. I agreed and scheduled them to have the sand filter replaced which cost me $2000+. I think this may help them to do the cleaning job.

After replacing the sand filter, the maintenance guy came couple of times to have the pool cleaned. Since the pool is pretty big, the guy may visit multiple times a day. He may come to throw in some chemicals at 9am, and came back to take a quick look at 11am but not ready; he may come back at 1pm and look again. Until he felt the chemical has done the job, he will do some work.

After they claim its done, I got another bill of $1100 charged to my credit card. I got in touch with them and they send me the bill marked 12 working unit of 1/2 hour. Basically every visit is counted as 1/2 hours working even just came and take a quick look. They also charge aggressively on materials. In my case, I myself provided all Chlorine and some other Chemicals that I was requested to buy myself by the maintenance guy (from Aqua Quip again).

I tried to get in touch with their manager and what I get is a high level bill with so many working hours & materials but there is no detailed work sheet with my approval at all. I don't really authorized this charge

We understand that spending $932 on a pool cleaning seems expensive but when a pool has been neglected for a long time, its just not a simple visit. When we first arrived the pool only had three feet of water. We explained to you that you never leave a fiberglass pool in that state because it can "pop". The prices that you are stating would maybe cover what it takes to balance a freshly filled pool with tap water. Your pool had extensive algae and debris in it which takes time to remove and chemicals to treat.

Once your pool was filled, we came out and noticed the filter was leaking profusely. We sent out our service technician to do a repair and he recommended due to the condition and age of the filter that it be replaced. We never recommended it to aid in the cleaning of the pool even though it did help. I provided a proposal for the filter replacement and it was accepted. We did the work per the bid and billed it accordingly.

We bill on an hourly rate and per visit on a "pool clean up". We do not provide bids on "clean ups" because we are unable to tell what is in the bottom. I never spoke with your agent and still he has never contacted me about any quote we provided. The guys out in the field do not provide any quotes. They only come from our corporate office like the one you received from me for replacing the filter.
Due to this work being completed in August- nearly 90 days ago- I would be happy to issue the customer an in-house credit for $250.00 This credit can be used for any future purchases either in our stores or for work performed by our service department.

I have talked to **** before about this issue and I think he is aware that I moved out the house already. I don't have a pool to clean any more. I am asking for cash back in stead of store credit.

The hourly rate is all on your side and you never get me signed any document per visit. Honestly if you charge me $2000 you can still say it is your hourly rate but can you prove it?

I am a reasonable person. When you sent me the proposal of filter replacement, I did not complain a word as it makes sense. This charge obviously does not!

Thank you for the response and follow up.
I will be morer than happy to issue a credit in the amount of $250.00 to the customer. My records indicate that the original payment was made by credit card. We do not retain credit card information. Please have the customer contact me directly with the credit card information. I will process the credit to the card once we get confirmation that this will resolve the customer's complaint. Thank you, ***** *****

01/21/2013Billing / Collection Issues

Swimming Pool Equipment & Supplies, Spas & Hot Tubs - Supplies & Parts, Spas & Hot Tubs - Service & Repair, Spas & Hot Tubs - Dealers, Fireplaces, Fireplace Equipment - Retail, Barbecue Equipment & Supplies, Barbecue, Swimming Pools - Maintenance, Swimming Pools - Leak Detection & Repair, Swimming Pool Service & Repair, Swimming Pool Cover Sales & Service, Swimming Pool Enclosures, Swimming Pools & Hot Tubs, Swimming Pool Contractors, Dealers, Design