BBB Accredited Business since 01/21/2014

Intelius

516 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 131 closed in last 12 months

Additional Complaint Information

On February 22, 2012, BBB recognized a pattern of complaints from consumers regarding billing issues. Consumers allege they were not aware of a monthly fee when signing up for a one-time purchase. Consumers claim the monthly fee is from an Identity Protect Service enrollment, which includes a free seven-day trial period and monthly charges of $19.95 thereafter.

According to BBB files, Intelius has worked with BBB to improve the language on its website to clearly and conspicuously disclose all terms to consumers regarding the Identity Protect Service, and has updated its purchase page to require consumers to opt-in to this program as well as create a username and password.

01/15/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

This company is displaying all my personal information when I asked for my information to be removed they requested that I provide them with a copy of my identfication. This company is fraudulent and giving out people's information without their permission. Even where I work, this is crazy I want my information removed now.

Remove my information from your website immediately.

Managing personal information through the Intelius opt-out service is just one step in eliminating its availability. There are many other sites that may provide similar information found on our site. Public records sites, search engines, social networking sites and other online companies provide different levels of information about individuals.

We have removed the requested information from the Intelius database, as well as affiliated sites.

We recommend *** ********* review our privacy policy located on the Intelius website at https://www.intelius.com/privacy.php.

Additionally, it is important to remember that the Opt Out procedure is temporary. Intelius is constantly updating their database with new public records. It is possible that an individual may need to resubmit an Opt Out request for any new records that may have been added to our database since their last Opt Out request. While we are unable to anticipate how, when, or if information will reappear on our site, we will be more than happy to remove an individual's information upon request.

We appreciate your cooperation in resolving this issue and apologize for any inconvenience.

Because when I complete a search on the website my information is still there including my childs name mother and brother. When removing someone's information that means all of it you need to search your data base and correct this information asap.

We are more than happy to remove *** *********'s information. We were unable to locate any listings matching the information provided. In order for us to locate the listing we ask that she provide the hyperlink where she sees the information appearing and indicate which listing specifically she would like to have removed.

Again, we recommend *** ********* review our privacy policy located on the Intelius website at https://www.intelius.com/privacy.php.

My childs information
*************************************************************************************************************

01/13/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

This company is used to find people across the United States. It says that it provides up to date information on anyone that your looking for. I tried the trial version of it. Which involved giving my debit card info. Only to find out that I had to pay more to find recent information. When i Paid the extra fee. It said no current information available. I Am very mad. I called the company and got my money refunded. I"m calling the bank tom to make sure that no other funds were removed from my account. To me they offer a service that does not exist. They lied about the information that was available to me. Then charged me extra to find recent information that was not there. I searched my name. It came up as an address I havent lived at in almost 2 years. And gave a phone number that I've never had. I would really appreciate someone looking into this place. In my opinion it just seems like a scam. Thank you

I'm not seeking anything from them just the money i paid. I do not want someone else to be lied to and have them give false information

Intelius's policy is to use all applicable means to deliver the information service to our customers. The information we provide is gathered from selected public records and other sources. Local, state, and federal agencies make updates to public records. The information can come from sources such as: marketing surveys, land deeds, catalog purchases, voter registrations, lawsuit filings, court records, magazine subscriptions, and address changes. This data is compiled into a comprehensive public record search that Intelius maintains with active updates from its sources.

We want *** **** to be fully satisfied with their purchase from Intelius. Since he was not completely satisfied with the Phone Report, we have processed a refund of $1.03 to his account on 01/06/2014. The charge of $2.11 for the Current Phone & Address Check was refunded on 01/02/2015. This will reflect on his statement in one of the next two billing cycles depending on the closing.

Additionally, the Intelius Premier 7-Day Pass was canceled on 01/02/2015 and the Pass charge of $7.95 was not billed.

Again, all charges have been refunded and no future membership charges will occur.

We sincerely appreciate your cooperation in resolving this matter and apologize for any inconvenience.

As long as all the money is refunded to my account I am satisfied. I just didn't want someone else to go through this kind of hassle for public information that is wrong.

12/23/2014Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

They did not deliver what was promised in the contract and still charged me $39.95 and on top of that 7.95 for an extra payment two weeks later after i canceled the service ( in the same day).

Money back.

Intelius customers are presented with a two tier pricing structure when purchasing reports on the Intelius website. They have the option of paying the full price, or a discounted promotional price which includes a 7-Day Pass of the Intelius Premier Membership. When a customer selects the promotional price, they are presented the benefits of the membership and the terms and conditions of the offer, including billing. By choosing to proceed with the purchase at the promotional price, the customer agrees to the terms and conditions of the promotional offer.

In this case, the promotional offer was accepted and the Intelius Premier 7-Day Pass was activated.

The Intelius Premier 7-Day Pass was canceled on 11/29/2014 along with the pending charge of $7.95. Additionally, we want *** ******* to be fully satisfied with her purchase from Intelius. Since she was not completely satisfied with the Background Report, we have processed a refund of $39.95 to her account on 12/8/2014. This will reflect on her statement in one of the next two billing cycles depending on the closing.

Again, all charges have been cancelled and refunded and there will be no future billing.

We appreciate your cooperation in resolving this matter and apologize for any inconvenience.

12/02/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Intelius is email spamming my inbox with sales and advsertisting. I previously had to dispute a membership charge for Intelius Prime Membership for which I never signed up for or authorized payment. Now Intelius emails me at least weekly promoting services. I never authorized this company to contact me. I have attempted to unsubscribe FIVE times by clicking the "unsubscribe" link in the emails, however the resulting page states "Our records show you are not currently receivining email." I have received marketing messages from Intelius on Oct. 19, Oct. 26, Nov. 2, and Nov. 9th

Intelius should CEASE AND DESIST in emailing my email or others in my company promoting services. I never authorized them to email and we have attempted to unsubscribe multiple times. The unsubscribe feature in their SPAM EMAILS does not work.

We have reviewed the account associated with *** *****'s email address. Per his request, we have confirmed that he is unsubscribed from our mailing list. He will no longer receive promotional emails from Intelius.

Additionally, Intelius customers are presented with a two tier pricing structure when purchasing reports on the Intelius website. They have the option of paying the full price, or a discounted promotional price which includes a 7-Day Pass of the Intelius Premier Membership. When a customer selects the promotional price, they presented the benefits of the membership and the terms and conditions of the offer, including billing. By choosing to proceed with the purchase at the promotional price, the customer agrees to the terms and conditions of the promotional offer.

The Intelius Premier Membership was canceled on 11/17/2014 and a refund was issued for $19.95. The refund will appear on *** *****'s statement in one of the next two billing cycles, depending on the closing date.

12/02/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

They do not have my permission to list my name and person information on the web. All of my information is un-published and I do not appreciate having all my personal data, family information listed on the web in their search engines. I want all information connected to ***** ******** and (Alias) ***** ****** taken off the web immediately and kept off the web.

I want all of my personal information, family information, Aliases taken down from their search engines so it does not appear on the web.

We recommend Ms. *************** review our privacy policy located on the Intelius website at https://www.intelius.com/privacy.php.

11/10/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I purchased a background check on line and they will not remove my credit card information from their computers. I tried to do it myself and then I talked to a representative who would not remove, then I talked to his supervisor and he refused.

my information permanently removed from their computers, and a warning on the web site telling people that their information can never be removed.

Intelius keeps all customers billing information secured and encrypted. The billing information is unable to be seen in the system, it is truncated for security. Unfortunately, the billing information is unable to be removed.

We appreciate your cooperation is resolving this issue and apologize for any inconvenience.

I do not believe they cannot remove the information but rather that they chose to keep that information for their own purposes. Do they really expect people to believe that they cannot remove/erase my credit card information? Only a fool would believe that poppycock. Lets face it, they are in the business of collecting information on people and that is what the are doing.

11/06/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Intelius has again posted my PERSONAL information online. I demand it be removed now. They refuse they want me to send even MORE information including a picture id. I am not sending them more information when they should not have any and have NO LEGAL right to any of my information. I do not owe them an explanation do not request do no beg do not explain. IT IS MY RIGHT! Nor do they have a right to demand a picture of me. THis is ILLEGAL. I have NEVER had any business with them I do not want to do business with them. They have NO RIGHT TO be collecting data on me and using, selling, posting etc.

Immediate permanent removal of my personal information

We recommend you review our privacy policy located on the Intelius website at https://www.intelius.com/privacy.php.

Additionally, it is important to remember that the Opt Out procedure is temporary. Intelius is constantly updating their database with new public records. It is possible that you may need to resubmit an Opt Out request for any new records that may have been added to our database since your last Opt Out request. While we are unable to anticipate how, when, or if information will reappear on our site, we will be more than happy to remove any of your information upon request.

Totally unacceptable response and the BBB knows it. The BBB has made no good faith effort to remain even neutral in this process by allowing this response. The company should have addressed the issue!
It is MY RIGHT not to have MY PERSONAL INFORMATION posted on their website for them to collect ANY information on me and/or sell post distribute publish in any from to anyone period. Do I make myself clear? This is not a request for special favors for me. This is my right to control my PERSONAL INFORMATION. I am not a customer of theirs have no desire to be one or have anything to do with them.
I also do not have to "review the opt out policy." I AM NOT A CUSTOMER YOU DO NOT DICTATE OR ORDER ME TO DO ANYTHING!
It is also not acceptable to state that it is temporary. I am not BEGGING, ASKING REQUESTING I AM TELLING YOU vile corrupt people to PERMANENTLY REMOVE MY INFORMATION AND STOP COLLECTING ANY DATA NO ME RIGHT NOW!!!!

Intelius solely collects and compiles the public records and publicly available information. Local, state and federal agencies make updates to public records. The information can come from sources such as: marketing surveys, land deeds, catalog purchases, voter registrations, lawsuit filings, court records, magazine subscriptions, and address changes.

As previously stated, we have removed the information from the Intelius database, as well as affiliated sites.

We recommend *** ***** review our privacy policy located on the Intelius website at https://www.intelius.com/privacy.php.

Additionally, our Opt Out procedure is temporary. It is possible that an individual may need to submit an Opt Out request for any new records that may have been added to our database since their last Opt Out request. While we are unable to anticipate how, when, or if information will reappear on our site, we will be more than happy to remove an individual's information upon request.

05/14/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

While it appears that Intelius has blocked my information, traces of the information still exists in these 6 URLS:

I want my information removed from the Intelius urls and header sections. Another alternative might be to add a no index meta tag to prevent the page's contents from being listed in the Bing web index.

We have removed the requested information from our website as well as the database. The hyperlinks that have been provided generate whatever information the user enters into the search field. The variables in the URL for First and Last Name can be manipulated and it will show on the page. The only reason the page displays "****** *******, *** *******, or *** Ann *******" is because that was what was entered on our website. None of the search results that were returned contain any of *** *******'s information.

We recommend *** ******* review our privacy policy located on the Intelius website at https://www.intelius.com/privacy.php.

No, I do not accept Intelius' response. I have tried to negotiate with a company who is not willing to negotiate. There is no reason why a no index meta tag could not be added to the page's contents to prevent them from being listed on search engines.

We have removed the information from the Intelius website, as well as the database. The hyperlinks that *** ******* is referring to generate whatever information the user enters into the search fields. The variables in the URL for First and Last Name can be manipulated and it will show on the page. We are not able to prevent an individual from searching for the information. The only reason the page displays "****** *******, *** *******, or *** Ann *******" is because that was what was entered on our website. For this reason we are not able to prevent the name from appearing on our website. However, we have removed the requested information so that it will not be returned in our search results.

As previously stated, Intelius is constantly updating their database with new public records. It is possible that an individual may need to resubmit an Opt Out request for any new records that may have been added to our database since the last Opt Out request. We are unable to anticipate how, when, or if the information will reappear on our site, however, we will be more than happy to remove an individual's information upon request.

11/24/2014Advertising / Sales Issues
11/10/2014Problems with Product / Service
05/15/2013Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

Intelius is reporting two names which are related to a massive identity theft case in my name. I was the victim of identity theft in 2002, 2007 and most recently my identity was used to file fraudulent tax returns. The two names involved in the theft are **** Kate **** and **** ******** **** and are related to theft that happened regarding checks issued to an incorrect name and address. The checks were returned to the branch and I was told that they were canceled but they were obviously not. The **** ******** **** account that Intelius is reporting is for Maryae **** and is listed for an Oklahoma resident. Maryae **** was the name printed on the checks.

I want this company to remove both the **** **** **** and the **** ******** **** reports from their files IMMEDIATELY. The IRS is investigating this case currently and Intelius is aiding and abetting known identity thieves. Intelius has been cited before due to the same thing, reporting information that was stolen. I want this company to stop reporting ANY information about me or it *** come to a lawsuit.

We recommend Ms. **** review our privacy policy located on the Intelius website at https://www.intelius.com/privacy.php.

Additionally, it is important to remember that the Opt Out procedure is temporary. Intelius is constantly updating their database with new public records. It is possible that an individual *** need to resubmit an Opt Out request for any new records that *** have been added to our database since your last Opt Out request. While we are unable to anticipate how, when, or if information will reappear on our site, we will be more than happy to remove an individual's information upon request.

This is typical. Your organization should be investigated by the FBI. I will not be providing my information to you. You are not an credit agency and only exist to provide sleazebag creditors and identity thieves with the information to do their worst. I would never provide you with anything let alone my drivers license. You need a cat scan if you think that people who are not bottom feeders would do anything in conjunction with you.

As previously stated, we have removed the information from our website as requested by Ms. ****.

To accurately suppress data, we recommend that individuals follow the 'opt out' process found on the Intelius website at http://www.intelius.com/privacy.php . Please review the "How to Remove your Information from the Intelius Public Records Databases" section of the policy. They can submit an opt-out request online at https://www.intelius.com/optout.php, fax to XXX-XXX-XXXX, or submit it via mail to:

Intelius, Inc.
Attn: Opt Out Dept.
P.O. Box 808
Bothell, WA XXXXX-XXXX

We do require an individual's identity to be verified prior to processing an opt-out. To do this, we request that proof of identity be submitted along with the removal request. Proof of identity can be a state issued ID card or driver's license. When uploading, faxing, or mailing a copy of a driver's license, we require that the photo and the driver's license number be crossed out. However, we do need to see the name, address, and date of birth to ensure that all information is removed from our database. If an individual does not feel comfortable faxing us their driver's license or other state issued identification; they can send a notarized statement of their identity.

We appreciate your cooperation in resolving this issue apologize for any inconvenience.

Searchers of Records, Information Bureaus, Screening - Background & Employment