BBB Accredited Business since 07/01/2000

Brent A Skovmand DDS PS

09/23/2013Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

Poor communication,was told i was covered by my insurance for procedure,then after procedure i was told i would have to pay. Then i was told it was my responsibility to contact insurance company before having any work done,they failed to inform me of that before hand. Was told i needed a tooth extracted,went to another dentist,and the tooth they wanted to extract was fine it was the tooth in front of it. Had a crown done,and dosent fit correctly. The staff told me they would go over these issues with the dentist and get back with me,never heard anything,until i recieved a letter 8-27-13 saying they had turned it over to collections. Didnt recieve any contact,billing,etc. before this and that was several months ago ,so i figured they decided to forgo the bill.

forgo the billing,

The complainant came to us in Sept 2011 as an emergency patient, seeing us on and off during the year when he was in pain. On 9/25/12 he came in for a crown. We did not know that a newer employee had provided incorrect information about his remaining insurance benefits. Our computer showed that the majority of the charges would be covered by insurance. That was incorrect information, but it is always the patient's ultimate responsibility to know their insurance benefits. We provide an estimate of benefits, but do not guarantee coverage. As soon as we discovered the insurance companies were not covering the charges as we had estimated, my office manager contacted the complainant to make a payment plan. He had a long list of complaints that we had never heard and was rude and argumentative. His response was offensive to my staff member. She sent a bill on December 6, 2012 asking him to call us to make payment arrangements. We did not hear from him.

In July 2013, our staff member approached the doctor about the possibility of writing off the remaining balance of $1,173.00 and requesting the complainant find another dentist. Doctor agreed, since the trust level between the patient and our office was compromised. We wrote off the balance on 7/31/13. On 8/27/13 I prepared a letter stating Doctor would no longer see the complainant as a patient after 30 days. In sending this letter I mistakenly reported that his account had been turned over to collections. I did not realize my mistake until we were contacted by the BBB. Upon reading a copy of the letter I was mortified to see my mistake, for we had generously written off the entire balance the previous month. I extend my apologies to the complainant for this miscommunication.

At present, the complainant has a zero balance on his ledger and we have inactivated his account. Our only request is that he find another dental provider, as this will be more comfortable for all parties involved.

Dentists