In Alaska, Oregon & Western Washington

BBB Accredited Business since 05/01/1985

Terry's Automotive Inc

08/05/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Improper or inferior repair

Complaint: On 05 March 2013 we took our recently purchased Audi Allroad to Terry's Automotive in Olympia, WA to have the alternator replaced. I had purchased a refurbished one online and they had agreed to install it for under $300.

I received a call from the mechanic stating the alternator I purchased had newspaper shredding throughout it causing it to seize, and that if they installed it they are not held responsible but it is at high risk for causing a fire. When we received the alternator by UPS, my husband and I opened it and knew the alternator had been wrapped in plastic, separating it from the newspaper shreds the company uses for pad protection, but I couldn't argue the condition of the alternator since we didn't inspect it thoroughly, but Terry's said it wasn't refurbished, it was used. They stated they could get a new one but it will cost considerably more. Reluctantly, my husband and I agreed.

We received the car back on 06 March 2013 the total charge was $690.18. The refurbished alternator and a dirty fan were placed in the back of the vehicle in the box the alternator came in, complete now with newspaper shreds obviously throughout.

Since the fan that was with the alternator could fit inside the size of box the alternator was shipped in, I didn't question why they were together, I just assumed if the alternator needing replacing the fan probably did too, therefore the two might have been shipped together. (I'm not a mechanic, I wouldn't know otherwise.)

The day after we received the Allroad back the Suspension light came on, and then the Check Engine light. I called Terry's and explained to the woman who answered the phone of the issue and she said I could bring it back in but it will cost an additional $100...we just paid nearly $700 to have it "fixed" now to have to take it back and have this issue fixed??? She did not utter a word that we could bring it in at no charge since we *just* had work done on it that may have caused the issue (that wasn't told to us until 01 July 2013). It wasn't in our budget so we couldn't do it.

Then on 30 June 2013 my family and I were returning from a trip in the Allroad and the car started making this awful racket. My husband pulled over to find that the fan in front of the alternator was missing. It was then I realized the fan that was placed in the back of our Allroad by Terry's was the fan *from our car* not a replacement the alternator came with. Since I had returned the alternator to the company we purchased it from, with the assumed fan that we thought came with it, we no longer had the fan in our possession.

On 01July 2013 I called Terry's and spoke with *****, and explained the entire situation. He said he was going to speak with the techs about it and get back to me. After not hearing from him, I called back, he said the technicians were out until the next day, he would call me back then.

After not hearing back from him, on 02 July 2013 I asked my husband to call and speak with him. He received the same runaround, and a promise of a call back when ***** had the chance (seems the recent heat wave brought in a lot of business and they didn't have time to take care of their repeat customers). Before getting off the phone ***** stated he would need to know what the woman's name was that I spoke to on 06 March 2013 (how would I know that???).

We haven't heard back from them since.

First off I would like to appologize for not asking you to bring vehilce right back in to take a look at why the suspension and engine lights at no charge (and yes we would still like to do so). As far as the fan in the back of vehicle, it was removed from broken fan motor that was rattling around and didnt want the fan to break any further and go through the radiator. (it will need a new electric cooling fan and motor). Im not sure what the noise on the trip is related to, maybe the needed cooling fan still ?. I would like to get the vehicle back in to inspect these items together and resolve them with you folks. Thank you, *** ** (manager, please ask for me).

***, manager of Terry's, checked both issues and offered to repair the problem with the suspension sensor by not charging for labor and half price off the part itself (they are not completely sure they are to blame for it coming on).

As for the fan, they stopped the noise issue, but the fan breaking was not their fault, although when it was discovered someone should have been informed to tell us.

To have the fan replaced will cost us over $500 for the part and labor, but at least the 'knocking' sound was stopped.

Over all, we are satisfied, and hopefully the replacement of the sensor will fix the warning light issue.

...Thank you *** for your hospitality! :-)

Auto Repair & Service, Auto Perform, Race & Sport Equipment, Auto Lube & Oil - Mobile, Auto Services - Oil & Lube, Auto - Fleet Maintenance, Auto Repair - Maintenance, Auto Repair - Power Steering, Auto Repair - Tune-Up, Auto Repair - Shocks, Auto Repair - Steering & Suspension, Auto Repair - Suspension, Auto Repair - Vintage, Auto Repair - Mobile, Auto Restoration, Auto Repairing - Foreign, Auto Repair & Service - Diesel, Auto Electric Service, Auto Diagnostic Service, Auto Accessories, Auto Customizing, Auto Air Conditioning