Alaska, Oregon & Western Washington

BBB Accredited Business since 08/01/1972

Korum Automotive Group

09/16/2014Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

On 17 August 2012 my wife and I purchased a 2010 Lincoln MKX at the Wallup of Puyallup. We explained to the salesman, *** ******** that we needed an SUV as we lived on a steep road and went skiing frequently. He said he had just what we needed and showed us The MKX which we purchased for $35,282. I notice it didn't track very well last year when we encountered light snow at Crystal Mountain. But it was never really tested until 9 February when we had 3 inches of snow that stuck. I started up my drive and got about 30 feet when the car took an uncontrollable swerve and ended up on the lawn. I could see by the skid marks that only the front wheels were working.

On 11 February 2014 I took the car into the Service Department to see why the rear wheels did not have traction. The service manage soon figured out it was FWD (front wheel drive, not four wheel drive). I thought all SUVs were by definition 4 wheel or all wheel drive. I realized that this was a blatant representation by *** ********

I immediately went to talk to Korum sales manager, **** ******* who was very cordial and said they wanted to make me happy. He said he would call when a lease was returned. He explained that the lease had to be internal to Korum as there were extra expenses between dealerships. He has to date not found a suitable AWD MKX. I am willing to trade up to a 2012 or 2013 MKX. His salesman, *** ****, called me down to look at two which didn't have the features we needed.

On 11 July I wrote to the General Manager of Korum Lincoln. ***** *******, the GM, called me back on 14 July and said there was to be an auction the following week and he would call me back. That was three weeks ago.

As explained by the sales manager, **** ******* going outside their dealership would be an additional cost. They are not willing to go to any expense to make up for their fraud.

I would like Korum Lincoln to provide me a 2010,2011,2012 or 2013 Lincoln MKX with AWD and the accessories like the one I have with my 2010 MKX at dealer's cost and to take my MKX at KBB Sale by Owner price.

As noted in the Consumer's complaint, the Consumer did purchase a Lincoln MKX from Korum Automotive Group in August 2012. The Consumer purchased a "Front-Wheel Drive" vehicle which has an abbreviation of "FWD" in the auto industry. Vehicles like the MKX also come with "All- Wheel Drive" (signified in the industry as "AWD"), or "Front-Wheel Drive". If a vehicle is "Four-Wheel Drive" the Acronym is "4x4".

When the Consumer arrived at the dealership in February of 2014, (2 1/2 years after their purchase), with their concern, our Sales Manager, **** ******* tried to help the Consumer. **** ****** and our Salesperson, *** ****, both tried to help the Consumer and sold them a different vehicle. The vehicle purchased was an "All-Wheel Drive" (AWD), Lincoln MKS. The Consumer brought the vehicle back to the dealership after 3 days expressing they did not feel it was the right vehicle for them and their needs. At that time the Consumer was given their Lincoln MKX back and **** ****** told them we would try to find a comparable MKX with "All-Wheel Drive" and the same equipment.

In July of this year, the Consumer contacted us expressing that he hadn't heard anything back. At that time, the Consumer was told that we would try and find something for them. Not because we are obligated and owe them anything, but because good customer service is our goal and we want them to be happy. To date we have not been able to find a comparable vehicle for the Consumer. Once an acceptable vehicle is found, we will make the Consumer the very best possible deal we can that will be satisfactory to them.

We believe we did not do anything wrong, however, we will do all we can to help the Consumer. All we ask is for their patience and flexibility knowing we are trying to satisfy them.

I would like to keep the complaint open until the dealer responds with an acceptable vehicle at an acceptable price.

03/22/2012Problems with Product / Service