Western Ontario

Great Lakes Lawn Care Inc.

24 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 8 closed in last 12 months

07/28/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

The company failed to honour a verbal contract to remove all quackgrass manually from our yard.
We have been customers of this company for over 20 years. We have been dissatisfied for the past three years as their products are ineffective in getting rid of / controlling weeds. Last July, supervisor visited our property and indicated that he would try an extra weed spray and did. The problem was not rectified. He returned and told us we could get mechanical weeding for $150 - $200 to address the problem of the quackgrass. We agreed and had a verbal contract. I called ******************* who indicated that Great Lakes had done a mechanical weeding. I let her know that they did not target the requested areas and that we saw no difference. She was willing to waive the cost of the weeding (for a 1 hour treatment not a fix of the problem as promised). She indicated that the past supervisor should not have made that promise and that their products are only designed to keep weeds "at bay" and not to eliminate existing problems. I asked to speak to the manager ***************. I told him the story. ***************************************************************************************** He was willing to waive the one mechnanical weeding charge and to terminate service. *****************************************************************************************************

Mechanically pull out all quackgrass/crabgrass as promised.

We have written off the service. We have also cancelled and refunded the cash on account as per customers request. We have tried to help out but unfortunately we are unable to pull twichgrass and crabgrass as per the customer request for further compensation. It is not possible with our equipment.

07/03/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

**** a senior technician with Great Lakes came to my home after I called the officer. I went outside to speak to *** after he checked out the front and back lawns and he said they needed aeration, overseeding and grub management to prevent more damage. These applications would be at no cost to me due to the condition of the lawns. *** suggested I call the office to arrange time and day for these services. *** went to his truck to complete a "Recommendation" form but he did not write down that this work would be "free of charge" to me. He put the form in my mailbox & drove away. In the meantime I had come into the house.

I spoke with ***** the same afternoon and he stated *** should not be deciding what lawn repairs should be done, yet as a representative of Great Lakes his opinions should be accepted. ***** offered me an overseeding at no charge but I refused because I believed what *** told me. I am not satisfied with the results of Great Lakes work on my lawns. *****************************************************

Aeration, overseeding and grub management for front and back lawns.

We have cancelled this customers account and we will no longer contact them as they are too difficult to service.

2014
May 6th Free Lawn Analysis - ***** recommended Aeration and overseeding and Grub management to prevent more damage from grubs.
May 6 - ****** called in and said the tech ***** suggested PCA OVR and GM n/c...after talking to *** he said if she has it in her program that would be good...he said she is talking about cancelling her lawn isn't in very good shape and she only wants to talk to *********** called *****, he told me he did not offer aeration/overseding and grub management for free.

****** said that *** told her that she would get free AOS plus GM. I told her that we are not able to do all that for free, I told her that I would do a free touch up seeding and work it in, if she wants order the Grub Management I would do it for $100 but not to worry about Aeration. She said that she does not want to pay more and that she would call BBB, I told her that as a business stand point it is not possible to do $400 worth of free services on a $280 program. She said well that is what he said, I told her that he did not offer free that we would rec that she get it done. I would do free seeding worth over $200 but that is it. She hung up on me.

Note: Program cost for 2013 was $396.14, completed Four free weed management visits (cost of $72.96 if a paid service), a $200 free seeding , Free Grub Management cost of $220.00
On a $400 program we did $424.00 in free services in 2013

Here is a list of services completed in 2013.

April 13 - 1st application completed -72.96 with tax
May 24th - 2nd application completed - $72.96 with tax
June 7th - FREE Weed spray completed
June 20th - 3rd Application completed - $72.96 with tax
July 8th Free Weed Spray completed - Found old grub damage, recommended grub control.
July 8th *** called in said that ***** said some grub damage found so wants to know more info told her not feeding now but she may want to order gm in aug.
August 9th - Followed up on grub recommendations, ****** declined ordering grub management. Said she had insect damage, setup free lawn analysis.
August 13th - FREE lawn analysis completed, found chinch bugs, recommended chinch bug application. ******r ordered.
August 14th - Chinch bug application completed - 104.30 with tax
September 5th - 4th Application completed - 72.96 with tax
September 6th - Free lawn analysis - Chinch damage, setup free seeding.
September 11th -********* that she did not think she should have to pay for services as she is unhappy. Setup a free seeding for her and reapply weed application.
September 12th - FREE seeding and FREE weed spray completed, found grubs in lawn, left recommendations for grub spray.
September 12th - Called regarding grubs in the lawn again that they will destroy her lawn, she declined receiving treatment.
September 16th - ******** ****** and she is upset that she paid for chinch now has grubs, explained that she has had both insects in her lawn and that she needs to order a grub application, they are destroying her lawn and that we will have a guarantee with it if she orders, *********** setup free grub application with no guarantee as a free service.
September 20th - FREE Grub application
October 7th - FREE weed management

06/09/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

In 2010 I had Great Lakes Lawn Care service. When they called about continuing the service in 2011 I informed them that I did not wish to continue their service as I had made a contract with a local lawn care service. Great Lakes continued to call about providing service and I told them that I was no longer using their lawn service. These calls continued throughout 2012 and 2013, each time I told them that I have a local lawn care service and no longer using Great Lakes. Any time they mailed out promotional material I did not sign any contracts with them.Approximately April 22, 2014 I noticed someone applying fertilizer to my back lawn and upon approaching him it was Great Lakes doing it. I told him that I had not ordered their services.He said OK and left after fertilizing part of my lawn. On May 12, 2014 I received a statement indicating balance owing of $70.06. I contacted Great Lakes by phone and explained that I no longer use Great Lakes and about the fellow doing part of my lawn in April. The person I spoke with referred me to a manager. I discussed the issue with her and she claimed that in October 2013 when a representative of Great Lakes phoned that I had agreed to have their services for 2014. I did not agree to this and told them that I have been using and will continue to use a local lawn care service as I have done since 2011. She insisted that I pay half of the $70.06, but I refuse to do that because it is their error.

I want Great Lakes to waive the charge of $70.06 because I did not order any services from them for 2014.Great Lakes Statements indicate: "For your convenience , service continues from season to season. For a change in service, please call our office". They continued calling every year and I continued telling them that I no longer was using their service.

Account is written off.

05/15/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

cancelled service and then came anyways and billed us.
we told great lakes we did not want to go ahead with service for this season on the phone, they came and treated lawn on april 28th and may 1st, when I finally was able to speak to an agent they said I owe the money. I expressed this is not fair seeing we cancelled service, they deny we cancelled, I asked them to retrieve recorded call which proves we cancelled and they cannot. I should not be required to pay for something I did not ask for.

charges should be reversed as we did not request service as were unhappy with last seasons service and cancelled prior to them coming out this year.

The amount has been written off if there are any other questions or concerns please call our office.

05/15/2014Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

We just had a negative experience with Great Lakes Lawn Care when we woke up to find a sign on our lawn indicating our lawn had been fertilized at 7.00 this morning. A call to the London office indicated that because we had the service last year it was automatically renewed for another year. ********************************** We were sent three "invoices" which we saw as a list of services (quotes) we might pick from or want. Despite a verbal indication to the sales rep that we did not want to continue their service (this call to us was in February according to their own records) they say no cancellation was noted.********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************* We were very determined not to renew and we made it very clear we were going to provide our own lawn care from now on. They *************************************** tried to talk us out of it. It seems they ignore our verbal cancellation. ******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************** we had just fertilized our lawn on our own and now it is being double dosed. ***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Full cancellation of the bill ************************************

Amount is written off if there are any questions please contact our office. Thanks.

Lawn Maintenance