Charities that meet the Standards for Charity Accountability are eligible to participate in BBB Wise Giving Alliance Charity Seal program. The seal, which can be displayed on the charity's web site and in printed materials, helps inform the public that the charity meets these standards. This organization participates in this program.
Goodwill provides services to both job seekers and employers.
Job seekers can access services on a drop-in or by appointment basis. Services range from 'light touch' activities in our open access employment resource centre, through to intensive services to assist with pre-employment and life skills needs through job development and placement. We offer group and one to one services, dependent on the needs of the individual. Individuals with significant barriers to employment, who are not able to perform in a competitive environment may benefit from supported employment within our Jobs Plus program. Individuals are able to perform meaningful work, while gaining experiences and building relationships that will be of value of their lives away from work. Goodwill also provides a School to Work program that is unique in our area. We provide retail training and coaching to special needs students who then operate a retail store within the school environment. Activities performed in the store builds on curriculum, as students gain the skills that will help them enter the labour market with the skills necessary to compete.
Employers are assisted with their recruiting and retention needs. Goodwill is able to assist employers in developing job descriptions, posting the positions, identifying strong candidates, assisting in the interview process and providing job coaching supports as necessary. Some employers may be eligible to receive an incentive for providing on the job supports which address an individual's gaps in productivity. Goodwill staff are available to develop and monitor these placement agreements.
Total Program Expenses:
Chief Executive Officer:
Chair of the Board:
Paid Staff Size:
27 Full Time. 130 Part Time.
Fundraising methods include bingo, corporate solicitations, direct mail, donations, golf tournament, grants, and special events.
According to Goodwill Industries - Essex Kent Lambton Inc.'s Annual Report for the year ended March 31, 2012:
Other Service Fees
Donations and Other
% of total Expenses
Excess of Income over Expenses
Ending Net Assets:
* Excess for the year indicates the portion of income remaining after expenses.
Most charities are honest and ethical, but questionable solicitors are counting on the fact that you won't bother to check out the charity before you give. Here is some basic wise giving advice:
1. Watch out for similar names. As there are many charities raising funds for similar causes, some charity names sound the same. Be sure to look at the name carefully, because the charity soliciting you may not be the one you have in mind.
2. Do not be pressured to make an immediate gift. Be wary of solicitors that demand an "on the spot donation." Charities should welcome your gift whenever you want to send it.
3. Question vague appeals. Appeals should clearly identify the charity's programs. Watch out for appeals that are strong on identifying a problem, but weak on describing what specifically the charity intends to do about it.
4. Do not give out personal information to phone solicitors. Don't give out credit card numbers, chequing account numbers, or any other personal information to unknown telephone solicitors.
5. Do not give cash. Write out a cheque to the charity's full official name, not to an individual or third party that may be collecting the donation.
6. Keep records of your donations (receipts, cancelled cheques and bank statements) so you can document you charitable giving at tax time.
7. If you want a deduction, make sure the organization is a charity. There are many different types of soliciting nonprofit organizations. Most appeals will indicate if the organization is eligible to receive gifts deductible as charitable donations. (To be sure, review the list of organizations on file with the Canada Revenue Agency or ask the charity for a copy of its registration number.)
8. Don't hesitate to ask the charity for written information on its programs and finances. This tip can be particularly helpful in responding to phone appeals form charities that interest you.
9. To verify if a charity is registered to solicit, contact your provincial government. In most cases, this will be the office of the Public Guardian & Trustee or the Canada Revenue Agency. Remember that provincial registration does not mean "approval," it means the group has filed the appropriate forms.
10. Report bad practices. Contact you Better Business Bureau.
An organization may change its practices at any time without notice. Donors must decide for themselves the significance of any variation from BBB Standards, taking into account the relative importance of the practice in question in the context of the organization's total performance.
This report reflects the results of an evaluation of informational materials provided voluntarily by the organization. The report is not intended to recommend or deprecate, and is furnished solely to assist you in exercising your own judgement.
This report is not to be used for fund raising or promotional purposes.
The information in the table below represents an industry comparison of businesses which are of the same relative size. This is based on BBB's database of businesses located in Western Ontario. Businesses may engage in more than one type of business. The percent of time the business engages in a type of business is not accounted for. There is no known industry standard for the number of complaints a business can expect. The volume of business and number of transactions may have a bearing on the number of complaints received by BBB.
*Goodwill Industries - Essex Kent Lambton Inc. is in this range.
Your complaint will be forwarded to the company within two business days. The company will be asked to respond within 14 days, and if a response is not received, a second request will be made. You will be notified of the company's response when we receive it (or notified that we received no response). Complaints are usually closed within 30 business days.
BBB promotes truth in advertising by contacting advertisers whose claims conflict with the BBB Code of Advertising. These claims come to our attention from our internal review of advertising, consumer complaints and competitor challenges. BBB asks advertisers to prove their claims, change ads to make offers more clear to consumers, and remove misleading or deceptive statements.
Some Better Business Bureaus offer additional content and services in BBB Business Reviews. The additional content and services are typically regional in nature or, in some cases, a new product or service that is being tested prior to a more general release. Not all enhanced content and services are available at all Better Business Bureaus.
BBB Customer Review Rating plus BBB Rating Overview
BBB Customer Reviews Rating represents the customers opinions of the business. The Customer Review Rating is based on the number of positive, neutral and negative customer reviews posted that are calculated to produce a score.
Customer Review Experience
5 points per review
3 points per review
1 point per review
BBB letter grades represent the BBB's opinion of the business. The BBB grade is based on BBB file information about the business. In some cases, a business' grade may be lowered if the BBB does not have sufficient information about the business despite BBB requests for that information from the business. Details
BBB Letter Grade Scale
Star Rating scale
BBB Customer Review Rating plus BBB Rating is not a guarantee of a business' reliability or performance, and BBB recommends that consumers consider a business' BBB Rating and Customer Review Rating in addition to all other available information about the business. If the BBB Rating is NR then only Customer Reviews are used for the Star Rating.
We offer free reviews on businesses that include background, licensing, consumer experience and other information such as governmental actions that is known to BBB. These reviews are provided for businesses that are BBB accredited and also for businesses that are not BBB accredited.