BBB Accredited Business since 02/22/1979

EPS Security

3 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 0 closed in last 12 months

12/20/2013Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

Keep getting bills without detailed descriptions, cannot get detailed descriptions when asked.
My problem is that I keep getting billed but I don't know what the bills are for. I have called in on two separate occassions to get the detailed amounts and cannot.

The first time I called about this I was told someone would call me back and no one ever did.

Today I spoke with a ****, and all I tried to get was the total amount we were billed (we've only had service for 3 months) and the total amount we have paid. She could not provide that information without printing things out and calling us back.

She did call back, and then told me the total I had paid was about $400 and that we owed $63. Then she said "well I'm not sure about that, it could be $360." So I said "I've only had service 3 months how could it be that high?" She said "Install was $329, I think, well I'm not really sure." So I said "I don't understand why install was so high I should be paying for the smoke alarms monthly. Was I billed for the smoke alarms."

She said, "Well I really have no idea, that's between you and the sales rep....." I said, "Ok,... but I really need that info if you want me to keep paying bills, you keep sending me bills without an explanation of what they are for." So she says she's going to look into it and get back with me. I said it really shouldn't be that hard to tell me why and what I was billed, and she said "I'm sorry but it is, we might not be able to get back with you until tomorrow."

**** was reasonably polite and I believe tried to be helpful. That is not my problem. My problem is with the EPS systems. The fact that I am having to chase around bills to find out what they are for, and the fact that EPS' own staff doesn't have easy access to that info. I also have a problem that the online account system doesn't allow you to just sign up, you have to fill out a form and "request an account". I was told this takes 48 hours. This is 2013, customer's should be able to make an account and not have to wait around 48 hours to have someone manually approve it.

On top of that, I feel like I was overbilled, but I have no way of knowing without seeing the bill. I do know $400 is a lot when our house already had the system installed.

Finally, I also have a complaint about the installation itself. We did not have the basement finished, and we had two motion sensors taken off the wall for painting. The technician suggested (without us asking) that he come back and install those after the painting was done. He did not mention there would be an extra charge for this, and since he suggested it and didn't mention a charge we assumed it was included in the install. When we called in to get the two sensors installed, we were informed we'd have to pay to have him come back out, or sign up for a monthly service plan. Had we been informed of that we would have had him install the sensors and painted around them as we had originally planned.

Please get me a detailed bill including all charges to date and to have EPS fix any discrepancies.

I would like the two motion detectors the technician did not install on the original appointment installed free of charge.

Contact Name and Title: ***************, Director
Contact Phone: **************
Contact Email: *************************
I regret that Mr. ******* has received less than exceptional service from my staff. We are experiencing a bit of growing pain at the moment with several new employees that are still in training.

Here is a breakdown of the pricing to date:
* Agreement dated August 15, 2013 details the monitoring (recurring) charges of $81.00 per quarter
* Rider to Agreement shows EPS will install 3 smoke detectors and 1 water detector for $135.00 plus tax plus an additional $27.00 per quarter.

The following invoices have been sent to Mr. *******.

******* 9/24/13 $138.60 This is for the installation of the additional equipment

******* 9/24/13 $126.00 This is the first prorated invoice for monitoring service. Dates covered are 9/16/13 thru 12/31/13. Future
invoices will be for a calendar quarter.

***** 9/24/13 $-36.00 Credit for 1st month free
******* 12/1/13 $108.00 Service for 1/1/14 thru 3/31/14

Total Invoiced $ 336.60

Payments received:
8/23/13 $ 75.00
9/25/13 $ 90.00
11/18/13 $ 63.60
Total Paid $228.60

There is a remaining balance on the account of $108.00 that is due 12/31/13. This is an invoice that was just mailed out on 12/1/13.

In regards to the re-mounting of the 2 motion detectors we are happy to schedule a technician to come out and perform this work however, this would be a chargable service call. Had the original technician done the work the day he was there Mr. ******* would have been charged for the work also. This work is in addition to the reinstatement of the system and/or the addition of the 3 smoke and 1 water detectors. I am sorry Mr. ******* assumed that it would be at no charge however this is a chargeable call in addition to the monitor services he pays on a quarterly basis.

If Mr. ******* has any further questions on the issues above or an issue in the future he can always ask to speak to our Customer Service Supervisor, ************************ or myself. ***** can be contacted at *********************** and would be happy to assist him. I can be contacted at the same number and my extension is ***.

I do not feel I should have to pay to have a technician come back out since your technician was the one that did not install the detectors to begin with and suggested we do them later. If he declined to install them, he should have informed us there would be a charge to do them later.

He is the one that declined to install them during my free install, this was not my suggestion. You should do the right thing and correct his negligence. They could have easily been installed and painted around. By your logic he could have installed nothing during the free install and then we would have to pay for everything at a later date. He didn't do his job during the free install, this shouldn't be fixed at our cost.

If that is not possible we would like our service canceled at no charge to us. We no longer want to do business with a company that won't do the right thing.

EPS will go ahead and re-install the two (2) motion detectors per your request at no charge. However, please understand that the "free install" you mentioned was to upgrade your panel and to tie in the motion sensors, not to reinstall them. You also selected not to have a service agreement on your account so any time a technician comes to your home there will be a service charge in the future.
Please contact one of our supervisors to schedule your appointment. They can be reached at ******************************.

12/05/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Original contract holder dead. Company will not allow contract to be cancelled.
Contract is for security alarm monitoring. Alarm has not been turned on for more than 2 years. Company will not allow contract to be cancelled without signature of dead person or 2 other unknown people.

Cancelled contract

Contact Name and Title: ***************, Director
Contact Phone: *******************
Contact Email: *************************
I spoke with ****** ****** by phone and we have worked out the issue. Due to security reasons and contractual obligations EPS Security must have a cancellation request in writing by an authorized user. Unfortunately, Mr. ****** ****** passed away some time ago and no other authorized users could be located.

This has placed Ms. ****** in a difficult situation and for that I have apologized. During our conversation we have determined another way for the cancellation to be processed. Ms. ****** will not only be sending the cancellation request on her company letterhead but has also provided a couple of utility bills showing another person is now responsible for the home. With this documentation we will be able to prove the ownership and accept the cancellation request.
If you have any questions or further concerns please feel free to contact at ********************* or *************************.

Director of Administrative Services

09/05/2013Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

See on line attachment

Mr.****** is correct in his complaint that his most recent payment of $93.00 was for April, May and June. However, the outstanding invoice for $26.50 if for the balance of his 30 day cancellation notice. Under paragraph C. Term:, of his agreement dated June 5th, 2008 it states "After the three (3) years, this Agreement shall automatically renew on a month to month basis unless terminated by either party by written notice to the other party postmarked thirty (30) days prior to termination date or any extension thereof."

Mr.****** letter is dated June 24, 2013 and was received on June 25, 2013. Mr.****** was invoiced for the term of July 1, 2013 to July 24, 2013, $26.50, for the remaining balance of the 30 day notice as stated in his agreement with EPS.

I would be happy to supply a copy of the agreement along with Mr.****** cancellation letter for your review.

In light of the small amount owed EPS will extend a goodwill credit to Mr.****** although he did not provide proper notice.

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me **************************

Security Control Equipment & System Monitors