In Western Michigan

DTX International.com

12 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 3 closed in last 12 months

04/21/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: None of the Above - Product Quality Complaint Issue

Complaint: Pop corn popper has broken down in 2 times in less than 6 months. Called and asked for them to fix the issue and they just said it was out of warrenty
To
Principal: Mr. ****** ****** (President)
Mr. ***** ****** (Vice President)

Our popper's kettle is gone down for the second time in less than 6 months. When I called today it was of little concern from your staff that this product does not seem to hold up to your websites reputation that these are top of the line machines.

You staff did a great job in not letting me speak or leave a voice mail for you. I find it hard to believe that you would not back this product when it appears failure is its nature. As a small business owner my self I would never leave a customer hanging or get off the phone without them being satisfied or letting them know I would get back to them ASAP with a fair compromise.

I find it hard to believe that you would want us to pay to replace this kettle for a second time in less than 6 months from purchase, and less than 3 months from the last time your machine broke down.

The only answer I was told was that I had to pay to fix it. If this machine was over a year old or older I would not blink an eye at this comment. Since again it is not even 3 months out from the last time we had to send parts back I find it hard to believe that I would be told I have to pay to fix this popper again. I am wondering if your products and customer service is what you say it is. I would like this kettle fixed and not at my cost.

The popper has not been used since last Saturday and was working fine until today at 1pm. The kettle does not heat up and pop the corn, second time this has happened within 6 months or less. Today after inspecting the entire machine it is also noted that the exhaust fan also does not work. It appears your machine is defective and needs to be replaced.

Since it is Friday and you the owner appear not to be in the office I will wait until Monday the 17th for a reply. Please feel free to contact me at anytime by email or cell if you wish to discuss this situation.

Cheers!

*****************************************************************************************************************

Our Warranty Policy is clear when it comes to consumable parts such as the kettle, glass. etc.. There is a 30 day limited warranty on all consumable parts including but not limited to glass, doors, hinges, blades, kettles and/or light bulbs as applicable. This customer has been in contact with our customer service department in this regard and has been explained the fact that the kettle is a consumable part covered under the 30 Day Warranty. This machine was purchased on October 28, 2013. We were contacted on March 19,2014.
All contacts made by this customer have been responded to in a timely manner; be it email or phone. Our lines are always open for communication purposes.

Initial Consumer Rebuttal
This company does nothing but keep stating there policy. In there response they fail to mention this is the second failed pot since the shirt purchase time. In the mean time we have had no choice but to send the pot back there is no place else to turn. We also tried to purchase a back up possible the failure rate is so hi on there products you can not get a new part for 45 days. It also is noted they do not back up there customer policy of satisfaction on there website. It is sad to know there are two owners who really do not care about there customers.

It is necessary to continue to state our policy in this regard. The kettle, being a consumable part, is not covered under the 5 Year Warranty. We do not have control over the use or misuse of this particular consumable part; as misuse will lead to kettle failure.
I do apologize that we do not have the replacement part available for purchase at this time. We are currently producing them in a timely manner and will have them available for purchase as soon as possible.
We are dedicated to servicing our customers efficiently and quickly. If you have a question about a specific product or are having technical issues, we have open lines of communication; phone or email. All contacts with this particular customer have been responded to in a timely manner.

06/03/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: None of the Above - Product Quality Complaint Issue

Complaint: Purchased snow cone maker advertised to shoot the shaved ice downward into the cup, but shoots out horizontally making impossible to catch in cup.
Purchased the ************************************************************** (order # ******) about 2 weeks ago to make snow cones for my daughter's birthday party. Comes with plastic cups plus I purchased the paper snow cone cups & 3 assorted juice flavors. Totaling around $125. We received the items on time and were excited to test out the machine. There is a pedal you push with you foot or switch on the side, when we put the ice in on top and turned in one, the ice literally shot out directly horizontal to the table at a high rate of speed. It shaved the ice nicely but we were unable to control or catch the ice in the cup because of the angle it shot out of the machine. Even if you tile the up completely on its side, it will shoots all over the place and your contents will fall out of the cup because you are holding the cup sideways.

I called about 30 times after that spoke with ****** and one other, never able to get them directly on the phone but had to communicate through voice messages and email. They never answer the phone, directly to voicemail after about 10 sec. I sent a photo of the operation and requested to have them either provide direction since it came with nothing, fix the machine, or give me a full refund incl. shipping so that I can book something else for the party (which is still a week away). Customer rep was unsure where the instructions would be but finally we found online which provide not clarification on how to operate the machine. I requested a refund and they sent me an email with a *** to refund the product. I read that it charged for shipping and 20% restocking fee which I said that would be fine if I just did not like the product, but the product has a defective design. I called back DTX International and requested for them to cover the 20% restocking fee and shipping which they agreed to take off the restocking fee but said they never cover shipping. I told them this is unfair and their warranty does not mention a defective design. They have not parts to replace or fix the machine. ****** said that I need to hold the cup sideways which is just ridiculous when the machine had a place for a cup angled downward. The product is more of a snow making blower if you wanted to have a holiday snow party. Shipping will probably cost around $40-$50 which is not reasonable since I as the customer is at a disadvantage receiving a product that just has a faulty design.

DTX International never answers their phone after calling about 50 times. They may call you back within 48 hrs but if you are unable to monitor your phone during the day (like me) you can never catch them.

Did not provide invoice in shipped box nor any directions. Had to call company & they referred me to online which the manual made no reference to how to operate the machine. Customer service rep told me that one other person complained about the same issue and their technician staff researched the issue and determined that is how the snow cone maker works.

The customer can certainly return these items to us and we will gladly waive the 20% restocking fee, but it is against our company policy to pay for any shipping charges on a returned item. They can exercise their warranty and if it is within the first 30 days since the date of purchase only then would we cover the shipping cost. This is clearly stated in our return policy. We are a very busy online sales company and we do answer the phones and return all phone calls.

10/17/2012Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Failure to respond to phone calls or written requests for assistance or support

Complaint: In regards to a returned product (Frosty Keg kegerator)that is under warranty, I can get no response as to what DTX intendo do,they won't answer.
On or about 11/12/2011 my wife purchased by credit card a Frosty Keg model 7975. It has a one year warranty. I don't know the purchase price, it was a gift. I think it was around $450. On 11/089/2012 the refridgeration yint failed, a leak allowed all the refridgerant leaked out. I had it looked at by a local tech who thought it would cost $400 to $500 to repair. At that time I decided to send it back. It cost me $185 to ship it back. I have tried many times to contact by phone and get a recording saying they are busy with other customers. This is happening far too many times for it to be coincedence. I have yet to recieve a return call dispite my pleas to at least talk to me. All emails save one have not been responded to. The one they did respond to was an RMA form needed for the return. I have requested a new unit, not the failed one. I have gone the extra mile to fulfill my obligations of the warranty. They refuse to talk to me.
What I would like is to just talk to them about this issue

The cusomter sent the item back to us for repair under warranty and did not specifiy what was wrong with the item. We made several attempts to contact the cusmoter to find out what was wrong with the unit. He would not respond to us. We did make contact with the cusomter on 10/04/2012 and he was able to explane to us what needed to be fixed. The item is now being worked on by our warrnaty department. if we are unable to repair the unit we will send a replacement unit.

I told DTX what was wrong with the unit on the RMA form the was required for return. Faulty refridgeration, all refridgerant was lost due to a leak. I have copies of five emails that went unanswered. I also made at least 20 phone call to them and was told each time that they were helping another customer, possible, but unlikely. The same thing happening that many times may not be coincidence.
I did recieve a new unit on 10/10/2012

10/09/2012Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Defective, damaged, or incorrect product received

Complaint: Product missing part and I can't get this company to answer their phone or return calls or emails.
I ordered two bike work stations from this company. the order number was ****** and it shipped via FedEx-Ground. Tracking Number *******. Both boxes were packed into one big box. When I opened the first box it was clear that one of the boxes was opened and then resealed. The one that looked open was missing the plastic tray that comes with it. I have sent 3 emails now asking if a tray can be sent to me. I have also left a voice mail.They have been unresponsive.

Contact Name and Title: *************, President
Contact Email: *************************
I have investigated this order and it looks like the issue was resolved. Upon further investigation 1 email was sent to our "noreply@discounttommy.com" email which is not answered. We have replied to all requests and sent the part as required after the first request. It appears the customer was tracking it with UPS instead of USPS and this made it appear as if we did not send it.

Here is the USPS tracking showing the part was delivered as requested.

Please let us know if this issue is still open or if anything else is required. His satisfaction is our priorty!

Regards,
************* (Discount Tommy)

05/03/2012Problems with Product / Service
11/07/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Inappropriate behavior by customer service personnel

Complaint: I had a customer service issue to resolve before opening my item. I allege that customer service lied to me. In addition, the product was defective.
I purchased a *************** from seller on 9/12/2013 via an **** transaction (#***************). After I received the item, and before I opened the box, I noticed a discrepancy in the item's description between different items sold by the same vendor and I found a price irregularity with this item when comparing it to similiar items sold by this vendor on three different sales outlets (****, ****** and the vendor's website). I tried to contact the seller many dozen times. No response. The only thing I kept getting was a recording stating that they were helping another customer. I sent an email and got no response. Their lack of response and poor customer service was upsetting to me as I had been a good customer of theirs for several years, purchasing about $1000.00 worth of items from them in the past. I sent a second email and this time asked for the courtesy of a response. This time someone responded whose initials are "**". Now I might have had to accept my purchase as it was because I had made the purchase. However, the discrepancies in the pricing in each outlet and in between the three outlets did suggest that I had been bamboozled into a $22.03 overpayment. The person who answered the email though decided to lie to me about the different costs between outlets and the reasons for the price discrepancies. If what she had stated was true, then the comparison between two of their products within each outlet would have been similiar from one outlet to another. The prices could have been different but not the comparative price differences. I was outright lied to by the customer service rep to try and strengthen her argument. The facts should have been all that was needed to justify whatever position the company was going to take. Never is it appropriate to lie to a customer to inflate a position. After reading the email from DTX International (*************), I then opened the box that the item was in and found that the magnetic resistance part of the item did not work. How appropriate! So then upon looking at the seller's return policy, the buyer is suppose to pay for the return shipping to the seller even if a defective product is shipped. At first, I felt that I had been overcharged by $22.03, but knew that I might have had to eat the overcharge. But then when I was lied to by DTX's customer service and the item was defective, I absolutely felt that I had been cheated and dealt with inappropriately. Remember now that I had been a good repeat customer for several years, had previously purchased around $1000.00 worth of products and had referred many people to this vendor. No more!

I would like to input our email contact thread with this customer directly. We did not receive any phone calls or voice mails to my knowledge, as we return all phone calls in a timely manner Our thread is as follows (as you can see the thread is listed as most recent, to oldest:

" Date: 09/25/2013 08:00:21 AM By: ****** *****Subject: Re: Defective item also. RMA: *******
To: ********************
I am sorry you feel that I lied to you, however, this is not the case. I explained to you the difference in the pricing, as to why they are priced differently. We do value your business, and I would be happy to fix the bike trainer for you. I am sending you a replacement magnetic resistance adjuster to the same shipping address as is on the original receipt. This will fix your issue. Thank you and have a great day.

Best Regards,

****** *****
DTX International
Customer Service

----- Original Message -----
If what you were telling me is true, then the price variations would have been consistent with the prices of the other **************** as well. This is not the case. I am sorry to let you know that since you have lied to me, I will not longer be a customer of yours. And by the way, now that I have opened the box to this trainer, I find that the variable magnetic resistance part of the trainer does not work. You sent me a defective item.

**** ******

________________________________
From: "***********************"
To: ********************
Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 11:29 AM
Subject: Re: Question about a purchase I just did with you. RMA: *******-

Thank you for your purchase of our product. The reason for the difference in the price is based on the fees incurred due to advertising and selling through the different channels (i.e. ****** and ****). We can offer a lower price on our main store front page due to the fact that extra advertising and selling costs are not incurred. I am sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. I am unable to grant a refund for the difference of the price. Thank you and have a great day.

Best Regards,

****** *****

----- Original Message -----
Hi,

My name is **** ******. I am a repeat customer, usually through **** where I go by the user name of "**********". I have outfitted both of my two college kids with studio and sound outfits from you. I have been very happy with your products to date.

Last week, I decided that I needed a ************************** for myself. I knew that you carried them, so I checked with you first. I looked at your products and decided that I would purchase the best one for up to $100.00. I assumed that your pricing would be indicative of the varied qualities of the trainers. I chose the Max Rider Pro Trainer (Yellow) for $100.00 in the **** auction #************. I received the box today. Before I open the box I would like some clarification about something that I have since found though. The **** descriptions of this item which is your SKU#**** and your SKU#**** are the same except for color. The price of the #**** on **** is $100 and the #**** is $77.97. This is a $22.03 difference due to color only. Is this correct? I then went to your website and found that the #**** is priced at $89.95, which is still $10.05 less than what I paid. I then went to ********** and found that you are
selling the identical item #**** for only $77.97, which is $22.03 less than what I paid you through ****. When I found this, I kind of got a sour taste in my mouth about our **** transaction. Is there a mistake in your pricing somewhere for this item, or did I just incorrectly let my trust in your reputation get the better of me. My hope here is that you will refund me the $23.03 that I overpaid you by purchasing this item through your **** outlet rather than your ******.com outlet. I paid via Paypal so the refund could be done that way if you so decide.

Thank you, in advance, for responding to my inquiry. I have been very happy with your products that I have purchased from you in the past and hope that this transaction will wind up being the same.

**** ******
**** user name - "**********" "

Furthermore, I would like to add, I kindly explained the difference in pricing. I sent him the replacement part that was defective on the original item on 9/25/2013 via USPS tracking number: **********************. I am sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused our valued customer.

Initial Consumer Rebuttal
The response looks and sounds good at first glance until one actually looks at the true numbers involved her. The representative from DTX has shown how a good sounding response can often deflect the true nature of a complaint even when the response is a complete fabrication or lie. Let me show what I mean. The representative from DTX is basically saying in her response that the prices for the items are more expensive through other outlets besides their own website because of the added costs of selling through a different outlet. Unfortunately for her, the facts don't stand up to what she states. We are discussing a product from DTX that comes in two different colors. The long detailed descriptions and photos of these two items show them to be identical except for the color. One is yellow and one is gray. The written descriptions are identical word for word. On DTX's website the two items sell for $87.27 for the grey and $89.95 for the yellow model. Let's use those prices as the base prices for this discussion. If what the DTX representative said was the truth then the prices at the other two outlets should be consistently more expensive than the DTX site, and two prices at each site should be similar prices, no more that a few dollars difference between the grey and yellow models. At ********** the prices are $79.95 (grey) and $77.97 (yellow) respectively. This is actually less money than on the DTX website. What happened to the added costs of selling through a different outlet when using ******? Next, lets look at ****. The price of the grey model is $77.97, even lower than on ******. Now look at the yellow model on ****. The price is $100.00. Wow! What happened here? Why is the price of the yellow one $22.03 more than the grey one on ****? **** does not have any policies anywhere where they state that yellow models of the same product are more expensive to sell than a grey one? I had originally assumed that the more expensive one would have been a better model, which is why I purchased it. When I saw the truth, I asked DTX about it. Instead of just sticking with the truth, the DTX representative chose to lie to me about it costing more to sell through a different vendor. Clearly the prices that they are still selling at show that this is not true. I was outright lied to. What ever happened to just telling the truth and standing on it rather than what happened here where the DTX representative felt the need to lie.

Thank you for your response. I am sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction. It is not our intention to mis-inform our customers regarding price. We do strive to have the lowest price for our product on each marketplace. I am sorry this customer feels they were "lied" to. However, we have made a valiant effort to supply our customer with an explanation of different pricing on different marketplaces.

The response that DTX gave is a deflection to put attention away from the facts. Yes they did tell me about the different selling costs at different outlets. But in this case, I was lied to about these facts. When selling through ****, DTX charges about about the same price for a product that is grey, but adds about 25% to the same product that is yellow. They do not do this anywhere else through any other outlet. **** does not have a policy that adds additional charges for an item for being yellow in color. The facts of this case are that DTX outright lied to me rather than tell the truth. DTX's attempt to deflect attention away from this fact does not mean that their lie did not happen. What it means is that they do not want you to look at the facts.

Complaint Resolution: BBB determined that despite the company's reasonable effort to address complaint issues, the consumer remained dissatisfied.

10/22/2013Guarantee / Warranty Issues | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: None of the Above - Guarantee or Warranty Complaint Issue

Complaint: Portable ice maker broke returned for warranty in June. Broke again in August. Being asked to bear expense of return again to fix what wasn't fixed
My ********* ice maker was purchased from ********* in August, 2012. Model Number ******** for $180.00. It stopped working in May. Contacted ***** and was told I had to go through the manufacturer for warranty. After much searching I found that the item had come from Discount Tommy's or DTX International. A company I had never heard of, nor had ever seen any terms of sale. After numerous phone calls that were not returned I finally got someone who told me I had to send it back for repair. I clearly noted my concern about the potential shipping charges, but they kept saying their warranty return terms were clearly spelled out on their sales receipts. It didn't matter to them that I had purchased it from ********* so had NEVER seen anything from them. I finally returned it. It cost over $60 to return the item!!!!! I have numerous emails to show that I continued to request a refund of my shipping charges because of the high cost, but to no avail. I had also been told that I would probably be sent a new machine. Now I know that that comment was only to mollify me. The same machine was returned, without interior parts. I called and after another several calls, finally got someone to send the missing items to us. Never got any satisfaction at all about the exorbitant cost to return the item. Two months later the machine broke again -- in exactly the same way. I began contacting them again, never got a return phone call. I pulled up an old email and sent my issue, clearly explaining that this was the same problem that the machine had been sent in for before. I got a canned response in reply with an RMA number and instructions to AGAIN return the ice machine. I have had several email exchanges with this company stating that I didn't feel I should bear the burden of another 63.71 shipping charge to get my unit fixed again since they clearly did not fix it correctly the first time. I feel that this time any repairs should be on their nickel, including shipping. Actually at this point I would just like a new machine, because I do not believe that they can correctly fix this one. They have already failed. Having never gotten a phone call in response I began emailing them, and have numerous email exchanges to show for it. I have repeatedly requested that a manager contact me to discuss my individual situation but that has not happened. A service rep named ******* tried to identify the problem with the ice maker, but after I described it to her she told me I would have to return the item. When I responded, once again, objecting to being asked to bear the cost of returning the item AGAIN, I received a canned response containing an RMA form and that I had to return the item. This company clearly doesn't give a hoot about their customers. I am not used to being treated like this. Their comment that they are there for their customers before and after the sale is a joke!

Customer did not place this order with us they actually made the transaction with *****. However we will honor our warranty and repair or replace the item for the customer once they send it back to us.

Initial Consumer Rebuttal
I have already returned the unit to them for repair at my expense. It cost over $60 to return! Now, less than 3 months later the unit has broken again - in the same way, and they want me to return it to them again - AT MY EXPENSE. That would mean my spending over $120 in shipping alone for an item that cost $180. Since they clearly did not repair it properly the first time I feel they should bear the expense of me returning it, or just send me a new machine. Due to my experience with their first attempt at repairing my machine, I do not have much confidence in their being able to correctly repair my machine so that it operates properly for more than a few months.

When this item was back in our facility May 15th of 2013 this item was tested for two days, running consistently. The only time the "add water" light came on was when the water was at a low level (which is appropriate). When shipped this item back to the customer on May, 17th, 2013, it was in fully functional order. We are more than happy to take a second look at her machine. The customer will be responsible for return shipping. We will repair or replace the machine and ship the item back. She will need to request an RMA for return.

Once again I repeat. The business did not correctly repair the item when I returned it to them at my expense in May. The same thing is wrong again and I do not feel I should have to spend my money on their mistake.. At this point I feel they should put customer service first and not just quote their policy to me. They did NOT fix it correctly the first time I returned it to them. Why should I pay for that?

04/23/2012Problems with Product / Service